Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Off his nut on drugs. Crack cocaine the autopsy report will see. Have a peep at YouTube. There are videos of people high as a kite getting hit with a car/bat/taser/pepper spray and just carrying on
    And 15 men can't hold him down?

Summit isnt right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

So do you think it is acceptable roaming around intimidating innocent people during a massive pandemic. It does not matter what colour people are. I hope the Garda nip this in the bud. People are stressed and worn-out enough without this. I really have sympathy with the Garda having to deal with this.

In the post you quoted, I said it’s scumbag behaviour so I obviously don’t think it’s acceptable. My issue is the way videos are being labelled to construct a narrative. It’s the third one I’ve seen today where the behaviour was disgusting but the authors felt a need to put a narrative around the video which was incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is the standard in the Oireacthas these days...

https://twitter.com/SenLynnRuane/status/1344586501091422208

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

walshb wrote: »
    Ok, so gangs roaming around interfering with people and businesses and causing harm and threatening, we just accept it? Allow it happen, and hopefully it passes over?

Who said anything about knitting Gardai?

You seem obsessed with numbers, and Garda resources.....

And you seem irritated that ordinary folks are asking why our Gardai cannot tackle this...

I am asking if we as a people should not have backup, emergency measures to tackle this?

Your answer to it is the same we don't have the resources....that is not an answer when gangs are causing trouble., free to roam and cause trouble with impunity.

I've already explained it to you, I can't do it again. Go ahead and believe your pie in the sky dreams about the army on the streets. I'll be ignoring you now. Thanks

She should NOT have said that.

I mean i would say that ..its something i would say in my free time ...NOT IN MY JOB THOUGH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

TomTomTim wrote: »
    The far right can only win when ammo is given to them. The modern world gives them much, much ammo. If people like you listened to all those who warned you of how all of this would go, there wouldn't be any ideological room for the far right to grow, so well done.

ah come on now, of course there would.
    the far right thrive on hate and causing issues, if it wasn't black and brown people it would be something else, those with such ideals will find anything to grow.
    people who are sensible are generally listened to, nobody is going to listen to hateful ramblings regardless of who it comes from.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It honestly reads like something you'd expect from a teenager with little understanding about anything

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

they are scumbags in that video. multiple offences committed.

Which is what I’ve said. It’s scumbag behaviour. But the first video is captioned “people getting attacked” and no one was attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

For me its the whole idea of 15 men against one man.

I mean 15 men can't disarm ONE man?

And they couldn't taser him ....it failed ...and so did the pepper spray?

Is he superman?

I mean there are instances of a couple of guards being able to disarm a guy with a sword in Ireland etc.

Tazers require direct skin connection, a jacket over a hoodie would absorb a lot of the impact.

Pepper spray stings like an actual bitch, but it's not a magic knockout gas.

Every scenario is different, but as a basic risk assessment, if a guy is still standing and holding a blade after all that, It'd take a foolish man to try and disarm him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,881 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is he superman?

I mean there are instances of a couple of guards being able to disarm a guy with a sword in Ireland etc.

Would you be the first one in against the swing of the machete? Someone has to be first to take the brunt of the blow. It's grand being the 15th person in. You want to be the first? Because for the first person in it is one against one for the first second or so. And that is easily long enough to receive a fatal blow.

Would it be ever be possible for a Guard to disarm a person with a knike? Of course it could. Is it always possible? No, and it would be stupid to suggest it.

People who have been disarmed by Gardai might not have been trying to decapitate the Guard. Unarmed Gardai have also arrested suspects who have had guns. Just because they can do it in some circumstances should not mean that they have to always do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The idiots seem to have videoed themselves acting like idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

For me it's a knife-wielding maniac trying to slash and maim innocent shop workers and guardians of the peace

They tried.

Is he superman?

Ever hear of adrenaline? Possibly drugs. Educate yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Summit isnt right.

If he was unarmed yes. Definitely. The fact that he has a machete and is unpredictable means that's a no no.

Would you like to be the first one in? A machete blow to the head would cave your skull in or remove a limb.
    Would you go first?

I appreciate your sentiment but your version of reality is off kilter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

She's a disgrace, someone needs to take the phone away from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,428 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Witcher wrote: »
    I've already explained it to you, I can't do it again. Go ahead and believe your pie in the sky dreams about the army on the streets.

You have explained nothing

You keep mentioning numbers...that is all

Gangs roaming around intimidating people in broad daylight, and your answer is we don't have the gardai numbers....

Pathetic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Summit isnt right.

Why should any of these 15 be obliged to put life and limb at risk to try to jump him and hold him down? He was armed, he already attacked people, over a period of time he refused to drop the weapon. What do you expect they should have done? All 15 leap onto him and just hope he doesn't manage to stab one or more of them in the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Another set of videos that shows its all young black people causing ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭bloopy

I am having a hard time trying to decipher that tweet.

Omackeral wrote: »
    For me it's a knife-wielding maniac trying to slash and main innocent shop workers and guardians of the peace

They tried.

Ever hear of adrenaline? Possibly drugs. Educate yourself.
    Then why did one unarmed guard alone walk up to him in the vid?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Summit isnt right.

And risk they're own lives? No.

It goes against all training, let alone logic, to approach someone with a knife who is threatening you. The last thing you want is to be in close quarters contact with them.

• Advertisement

Summit isnt right.

We should have sent you in first to grab the man waving a machete.

You talk a good show, not much for action though I bet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's not easy to disarm someone with a machete, regardless of how many of you there are. You risk at least one person being fatally hit/stabbed with the machete in order to do it, even if there are 100 of you.

I take it you've never disarmed someone with a large knife right?

All 15 leap onto him and just hope he doesn't manage to stab one or more of them in the process?

Probably the best idea tbh.

Also why didn't they have helmets and public order shields?

Body vests etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,503 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Hopefully - if it is the case that the Irish Times have said this - they are correct, because if they are NOT, or if they do not know the truth, then they are party to inflaming a protest situation that is not good given how much Covid there is in the community, and the Irish Times is also, like several notable Irish politicians this day, getting a kick in against the Garda Siochana whose members responded to a very dangerous situation. This was not a rash or racist act. The police spent 2 hours talking him down. If there has been some error in the procedures - and I am not saying there was - then it should be found out given due process. But I sincerely doubt that any garda headed out yesterday to shoot someone dead. And the Irish Times should not publish that the garda shot first unless they have 100% conclusive proof of it.

Politicians and politics in this state is just pure toxic. These fûcking people , man. I’m starting to question if I want post covid to remain living here...all they are doing is virtue signaling for votes now... pandering to a demographic of individual.

If I walk around now to the shops, get stabbed or assaulted by a person of a different ethnic background I’ll get arrested for inciting violence because I had a decent phone in my hand most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Which is what I’ve said. It’s scumbag behaviour. But the first video is captioned “people getting attacked” and no one was attacked.

I'm sure the guy in the van is relieved you don't think he was attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Dis bish drunk? I have no idea what any of that means.

Body vests etc?

Body vests...great things....they leave your neck wide open though...but who needs their jugular vein anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Body vests etc?

and risk their own lives? they're not ****ing idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Summit isnt right.

How do you get the machete away from him for the 15 to hold him down. How many Garda lives are you happy to see ended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Summit isnt right.

“Right lads. There’s 15 of us. If we all charge him at the same time there’s only a 1 in 15 chance yours will be the head chopped in half. What? Oh yeah. Sorry. He’s in a doorway. All 15 of us won’t fit in there. 1 in 4 so. Ok. Who’s up for being one of the four? Hold on there chief. Stop swinging that yoke around. We’re trying to figure this out because we’ve loads of time to. You’ll have somebody’s eye out with that thing if you’re not careful!”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement