Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

That said, surely a bullet to the thigh or calf would be more appropriate than shooting to kill?!

Remember that you have a femoral artery in your thighs, ruptured is a life threatning event, victim bleeds out in a matter of minutes.

There are really no good options when it comes to using deadly force, that's why it is used as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

The very one ...the one everyone says they can see a knife in

well you can certainly see a man making an overhand swing consistent with how a knife would be used.

and not in a defensive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

It's definitely more dangerous to try to shoot to wound. The chance of missing is much greater. The chance of hitting someone else is much greater. Aiming at the centre is the only reasonable thing to do, once things have reached the point of needing lethal force.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Shame on the media for stirring all this up and making it about racism when it clearly isn't, same to the politicians sending their condolences, are they sending condolences to the shopkeeper with a broken noose and tooth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Lumen wrote: »
    Does anyone have a reliable/official source for the machete claim? By which I mean not a shaky video filmed from 100m away.

I would have thought that the Gardai would have mentioned that specifically in their statement if it was true, but AFAIK they mentioned only a "knife". Maybe that's a jargon issue though.
    Specifically a machete no.

IMO machete/ knife...splitting hairs.

Police have reported a knife ....whether he had the knife when he was shot ..unclear.

Witnesses say they were not close enough to realize he had a knife or not.

I don't think it matters whether it was a machete or a knife. You can have several pretty dangerous knifes. As dangerous as a machete.

Guards are claiming he threatened unarmed guards with said knife and that ..THIS is why they had to shoot him.

Its likely garda have body cam footage ...we will see then ..i would not be surprised to see a knife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,091 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

whether it was a knife or machete makes little difference. both are deadly.

I'm not an expert in combat but I'd have thought it would make a big difference in terms of reach and therefore what non lethal options were available. Telescopic baton might be reliable against a knife attacker but not a machete.

More importantly though, why are people repeating "machete" if there's no evidence of it? Does nobody gives a ****e about the facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Those people that attacked the Spar shop are blatant racists and it's all on video.

havent seen that one yet, you got a link?

85603 wrote: »
    well you can certainly see a man making an overhand swing consistent with how a knife would be used.

and not in a defensive manner.
    Fair point.

I'm not an expert in combat but I'd have thought it would make a big difference in terms of reach and therefore what non lethal options were available. Telescopic baton might be reliable against a knife attacker but not a machete.

More importantly though, why are people repeating "machete" if there's no evidence of it? Does nobody gives a ****e about the facts?

Several knifes can be just as deadly ...and have reach

machete vrs knife is splitting hairs to me.

Its likely garda have body cam footage ...we will see then ..i would not be surprised to see a knife

Why do you think it is likely that they have body cams? What is your source for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

Does the size of the weapon, or how sharp it was make a big difference in this incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

85603 wrote: »
    havent seen that one yet, you got a link?
    They are almost all on https://twitter.com/VideosSick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Shame on the media for stirring all this up and making it about racism when it clearly isn't, same to the politicians sending their condolences, are they sending condolences to the shopkeeper with a broken noose and tooth ?

In fairness it's not the media, it's those ****ing cesspits that are twitter and Facebook. That's where all this nonsense is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Happy new year to everyone, let's hope 2021 is a better year for the law abiding people of the country, that the tax paying public get a say in how our country is run not the usual spell we get from goverment, people who work their boll*x off can afford to get on the housing market(at a fair price) and finally ireland isn't as a whole a racist country, were just tired of been brow beating into been told we have to welcome every tom dick and harry into our country and shut our mouths and their pay the bills.

Anyway happy new year boardies. ... I'll have a beer or 4 for ye all tonight, be safe out there

Why do you think it is likely that they have body cams? What is your source for this?
    I could be wrong i thought all guards were required to have them?

If this is not the case ....well that is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

walshb wrote: »
    Are you advocating that the people charged with upholding law and order stay in their station when gangs are committing crimes? That ordinary folks simply cross their fingers that they don't become victims of these people?

No. My communications skills are obviously in need of a polishing.

I said stay in the station, but if...... etc etc.

My view being that visible presence probably won't prevent bad behaviour, it will more than likely provoke it - and those who feel they are being provoked are the ones in the wrong , not the Gardai. However, whatever the reason, if trouble starts it needs to dealt with harshly and immediately. Weak response will simply mean they have skirmishes with the Gardai, AND continue with their mayhem anyway.

As I said, it sounds like a damned if you do, damned if you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭boetstark

They dragged him out of the van just as camera moved away
    they are scumbags in that video. multiple offences committed.

Local TD
    ''I’d urge people not to share the videos of the shooting today and to instead send them to the Garda who are carrying out an investigation into the shocking incident today in #dubw condolences to the family of the deceased young man http://sinnfein.ie/contents/59290''

No concern expressed for the victim in spar
    Crickets about what has happened in this area today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Does anyone have a reliable/official source for the machete claim? By which I mean not a shaky video filmed from 100m away.

I would have thought that the Gardai would have mentioned that specifically in their statement if it was true, but AFAIK they mentioned only a "knife". Maybe that's a jargon issue though.

Spar staff witnesses described it as "large knife" on social media. Could be a machete or a butcher's knife, who knows - butter knife it probably wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Being shot didn't stop him from swinging the knife, baton wasn't going to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

There were lots of guards present, you would assume some would have body cameras specifically the armed guards.

And if not then it's ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

by reliable do you mean a baton might work but the garda will probably get hurt as well? Because I dont think the gardai like those odds.

Polar101 wrote: »
    Does the size of the weapon, or how sharp it was make a big difference in this incident?
    Honestly no. Unless its a penknife.

I mean are you going to measure it?

All that matters is if he had said weapon.

Was he attacking before shot at?

Did guards take risky actions ..that hastened the need for shots?

Those people that attacked the Spar shop are blatant racists and it's all on video.

I look forward to hearing about them all being charged with hate crimes...
    :rolleyes:

Polar101 wrote: »

I never mentioned sharpness.

It matters to me because I happen to care about the facts of what happened. Do you not?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,503 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And 15 men can't hold him down?

Summit isnt right.

Holding him down is a piece of piss. Getting him down and disarming him really isn’t. Approaching a man with a knife or sword who has used the knife / sword to seriously injure people, so remember, they know it’s not a prop, he’s stabbed somebody with it... there will not be any safe ending, the Gardai requested he drop the weapon, multiple times, he refused, went to enter a residential dwelling not knowing if there were people / children present, the Gardai neeed to act to protect life.

They attempted to use non lethal force, it wasn’t successful, when he tried to enter the house after being instructed presumably not to, he tried to anyway...he was shot.

That’s on HIM...NOT the Gardai.

He choose to obtain an illegal and dangerous weapon.

He choose to attack and injure people with it.

He choose to keep the weapon when asked and directed to drop it.

He choose to enter a residential building with it having been advised not to.

He was given advice and choices, he chose and took the wrong ones. Perpetrate violence against society, society needs to be of the ability to defend itself. Good job.

He is still alive now if he chose correctly, he didn’t. On him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Several knifes can be just as deadly ...and have reach

machete vrs knife is splitting hairs to me.

Yeah, same with guns v nukes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I could be wrong i

You should make that your mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

I would say there are a lot of fake videos posted on this thread tbh.
    Would you now? The circle k where they asre knocking the bollix out of the white lad is right behind the spar he tried to rob yesterday. The video of them at the bus is down the road, see no 39? The other vid of them walking up is between those 2. All those videos are in blanch so **** off with your ****e :rolleyes:
    Anyone from the area is in no doubt those videos are real.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    There were lots of guards present, you would assume some would have body cameras specifically the armed guards.

And if not then it's ridiculous
    I agree. I think out of 15 ..that would be strange.

I don't think they will release it etc.

You have to remember ..even after the investigation

There will prob be a civil case taken by the family i would say whatever the outcome of the investigation.
    I imagine they will try.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement