Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

It isn't.

So why the lethal force?

I don't want this to become normal here.

Because the lunatic went at the cops with a knife. Fully justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It's quite surreal seeing videos of what went on in Blanch today and no mention of it in the media.

I mean if this was in Donnybrook would it be on the news.

I haven't seen any more videos online so I presume they are gone home. Hopefully.

I’d imagine they were under reporting it to avoid stirring the pot. That said, I think anyone who was going to get involved would get their news more from social media than RTE anyway. And the red tops will be all over it tomorrow.

RTEs job is to report news in the public interest and I think their failure to report the extent of what went on in Blanch today means they’ve failed in that responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

He has been set up as both a saint and devil by both sides.

He was neither. Both sides are doing it. I can see that.

Its understandable a mother might see her son this way ...partic right now.

Some others tho...no ...

He was not the devil ..he was not a saint.

More a devil than a saint, and definitely a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Did you see the people trapped in the Spar being called 'white bastards' https://streamable.com/rh9bv2

Sad to see Irish kids doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

KyussB wrote: »
    They tried a total of two non-lethal options, and decide "fuck it, lets shoot him..." - when he is nowhere near any civilians??!

Not exactly exhausting their options there, are they?

Police are people too. If he didn't wield the knife, he still be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

statesaver wrote: »
    Did they show the Spar shop with customers trapped in side and the racist ' white bastards ' shout ?

No I'd imagine

They should be arrested for that, attacking an essential service and intimidation of customers and staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

This is how normal people get converted to right wing

I would have considered myself middle of the ground for most of my voting eligible years. Last few years my opinions are drifting further and further to the right. The main reason for this is I feel more distant to what the modern "left" is becoming/has become. Facts, statistics, logic and reason are becoming irrelevant to them. I have to oppose that at every opportunity

It's quite surreal seeing videos of what went on in Blanch today and no mention of it in the media.

I mean if this was in Donnybrook would it be on the news.

I haven't seen any more videos online so I presume they are gone home. Hopefully.

You can guarantee if there was a mob of skinhead going around Dublin today attacking blacks and property it would be top news. What has gone wrong with our media. Why are they so scared of the truth ? We have been infested with thousands of scumbag racists of African descent and it looks like there is no stopping it.

Mod: Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Darc19 wrote: »
    A lot of garda cheerleaders here, but people need to understand that when it comes to mental health issues, the gardai are utterly inept and it is only in the last few months that they have employed someone to actually devise an education strategy to give a basic level of understanding to gardai.

Whilst I won't say this was murder, it certainly is a disgusting road the gardai have gone down and I sincerely hope gsoc do a proper investigation, but I doubt it.

Yeah when someone is wielding a dangerous weapon at you and has shown an ability to do damage to people, the Gardai really should try counselling him. Jesus Christ, unless you’ve worked as a guard and have been in this position, you have no right to judge the Gardai based on what is currently known about the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

A lot of garda cheerleaders here, but people need to understand that when it comes to mental health issues, the gardai are utterly inept and it is only in the last few months that they have employed someone to actually devise an education strategy to give a basic level of understanding to gardai.

Whilst I won't say this was murder, it certainly is a disgusting road the gardai have gone down and I sincerely hope gsoc do a proper investigation, but I doubt it.

Having a mental health problem and running around dangerously is not an excuse.
    Yes the mental health provided in this country is appalling. But if he had serious issues, he should not have been running around with a knife. He should have been in care. It seems its a failing of the HSE not the gardai in this situation.
    Either way, it's best to see what the results of the investigation are before jumping to conclusions.

• Advertisement

I would have considered myself middle of the ground for most of my voting eligible years. Last few years my opinions are drifting further and further to the right. The main reason for this is I feel more distant to what the modern "left" is becoming/has become. Facts, statistics, logic and reason are becoming irrelevant to them. I have to oppose that at every opportunity

Because the 'right' are renowned for facts, statistics, logic and reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It does in its *****! RTE are a disgrace. This tripe on the Six One News is what the license fee is for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

In the coming years their will be no shops in these
    areas because they have been robbed at knifepoint so often . God help the Law abiding people living in these areas .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

99% of people posting here have experience in this field.

He just has a different opinion to you. That's all.

That's fine.

Actually I have military training and we were always trained to aim for centre mass and disable your target . On the ground ideally not moving they are no longer a threat. I suspect the ERU and ARU get similar weapons training. A leg or arm shot is great for the movies but not practical in real life.

If it was your job to confront a person wielding a knife, what would you do? Suggest he calm down and call Joe Duffy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Because the 'right' are renowned for facts, statistics, logic and reason...

Opinion based wokery will be the undoing of social cohesion

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

LuasSimon wrote: »
    areas because they have been robbed at knifepoint so often . God help the Law abiding people living in these areas .
    And then we'll be told that these areas are bad because they lack services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Did you see the people trapped in the Spar being called 'white bastards' https://streamable.com/rh9bv2

Sad to see Irish kids doing that.

"Racist pricks" "I hope you all die" "White bastards"

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What's the disgusting road the Garda have gone down?

As far as I know they were faced with a machete wielding criminal yesterday.
    You'd do well to remember that these same people go to work every day and face horrible stuff that thankfully the majority of us are shielded from.
    Going to vehicle accidents where people lie decapitated on the ground. Going to houses that have been burnt down with families inside. Going to places where suicides have taken place then having to break that news to family members. Getting spat at and attacked because "Garda".

I wouldn't take that job for any money but thankfully for us some do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Did you hear the ejits being interviewed at the protest. "im afraid for my childrens lives because they are black" "george was a lovely quiet guy, he wouldnt hurt a fly" hahaha brain dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They are trained and they dealt with it correctly.

They used verbal commands, they then used non lethal options and only then resorted to lethal force after all else failed.

Your other posts here make it pretty obvious you speak with zero training, knowledge or experience in this or any relevant field.

So where does a trained negotiator fit in ?

Why 5 shots ?

Yes it's all part of the Garda training. The question clearly is whether that training was followed & whether it is appropriate when possible dealing with someone with mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Thanks next time a man with mental health issues slashes a shop assistant with a machete and then runs around trying to stab passer bys, threatens to kill unarmed Gardai, refuses to stop after being pepper sprayed, refuses to stop after being tasered we'll get the Gardai to give you a shout and you can come and talk nicely to him. What's your phone number?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

What if the event happened in mins? The Gardai have negotiators and have been know to talk to people for days in siege situations but that is only peossible if the perpetrator allows it. There is clear footage of him charging the garda lunging at his neck https://mobile.twitter.com/JRK__IRL/status/1344440120510918664.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Discodog wrote: »

Why 5 shots ?

Yes it's all part of the Garda training. The question clearly is whether that training was followed & whether it is appropriate when possible dealing with someone with mental health issues.

Out of curiosity, in the heat of the moment yesterday, how exactly were the guards supposed to do a mental health check on a guy waving a weapon at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

In thirty years time anyone who has the money to get out of west Dublin will be gone

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Did you hear the ejits being interviewed at the protest. "im afraid for my childrens lives because they are black" "george was a lovely quiet guy, he wouldnt hurt a fly" hahaha brain dead.

All trying to build a false narrative around this. RTÉ are a disgrace and have badly let down the Gardai and the real victims in all this. I’ve long defended them but no way am I renewing my TV licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

You can guarantee if there was a mob of skinhead going around Dublin today attacking blacks and property it would be top news. What has gone wrong with our media. Why are they so scared of the truth ? We have been infested with thousands of scumbag racists of African descent and it looks like there is no stopping it.

I would prefer balanced reporting and truth (if I ever watched tv!). I also think this was 100% not a racist incident. I also think that the politicians who were so profuse in their condolences to this victim could have first given support to the arm of the state that upholds law and order in dangerous circumstances and the men and women who work there. I would not do their job for a million euros a year.
    But it is also true that given one bit of a tiny leeway there are a surprising number of complete ar£eholes ready to become hideous racists spouting all manner of filthy stuff. I imagine that some of the censorship of reporting may be an effort to keep a lid on that kind of thing. I don't want to live in a society where people feel free to call others scum or such like due to their skin colour.

One can be in favour of truthfulness, against Identity Politics, and at the same time very loathe to find oneself walking the road with certain types.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fredt

You'd think there would be some weapon capable of knocking a person down without killing them. Something similar to a plastic bullet if less powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I was just thinking this, they can't guarantee the safety of the workers due to these extremists.

• Advertisement

• Discodog wrote: »

Why 5 shots ?

In general, mentally ill people don’t have it printed on their clothing or tattooed on their face. How were they supposed to know his medical history? And regardless of all that - mentally ill or not his machete was as dangerous as if wielded by someone without mental illness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement