Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Not really gonna help with the situation we're already in though

No point in bringing more of the same until we get a handle on this, our problems have just begun I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Discodog wrote: »
    Back away unless he is actively a danger ie approaching people. I believe he was in his own garden so at least allow the family to see if they can calm him down.

And what if he had attacked one of them with the weapon he had? People would have been blaming the Garda for not intervening sooner

This is just whataboutery on your part, if he hadn't of been a danger to society then the Garda wouldn't have been there at all

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

So now that this is the situation and these people live here, what do you think should be done now to stop a generation of black irish kids growing up disaffected and angry which seems to have happened to some in the UK?

I hope GSOC can quickly provide evidence from investigation that this was 100% justified. Then with political, media and civilian support a hard stance is taken that knife crime/ carrying weapons will never be tolerated and there will always be severe consequences for it. Get the message out there that this was never a racial incident.

Certain politicians with platforms have been disgraceful in stoking this and should be held accountable for using their platform to spread their own racism. RTE too.."he wouldn't hurt a fly".. tell that to the innocent shop worker he hospitalised and likely won't go back to work and his colleagues too. They need to get behind the msg that 'Thug Life' isn't a thing here and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

statesaver wrote: »
    Maybe stay in school and get a job. Like the rest of us.

So you think telling them that will solve all the problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Back away unless he is actively a danger ie approaching people. I believe he was in his own garden so at least allow the family to see if they can calm him down.

That's a great idea, no downside possible in that, surprising that it's not standard procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You may think so but he had diagnosed schizophrenia. He had it since he was 16/17. I visited him in the hospital on and off years before. He wasn't well.

My uncle also has Schizophrenia he gets regular injections. He is the Kindest man but without medication helping him he would be telling you that Joe Dolan was talking to him through the radio.

We also got to look at mens mental health.
    Also thats not to imply people having a bad day do this.... But when it comes to severe mental illness there needs to be more in place to support everyone.

Hear hear. It's a little known fact that schizophrenics are known for carrying machetes on their person. My great grandfather, mad as a box of frogs, heard about them from his brother who was in Ceylon. And sure Jaysus, he had to fetch him one back to Ballyhuppahane, Slieve Bloom. Great yoke for topping thistles. And getting his way at the market when he went into town once a fortnight.

Mental illness is a huge problem in Ireland. Our services are woeful. Outdated models still being applied. Gardai are used to take such persons into 'custody' / care. A lot of change needed, money not the primary concern. But more resources will cost money. With Covid, and economic woes, we need to tackle it head on. For a better society.

But wielding a large blade in public, attacking the public and failing to accede to the Gardaí de-escalation procedures proved fatal for George. Time will tell whether mistakes were made. But, as long as Irish people drink whiskey and talk about weather a Garda will occasionally mortally wound a citizen. Invariably they'll be white. It's (regrettably) their f*cking job. So you and I don't have to. The lad who murdered the Guard in Mayo was mentally ill too, we're told. The poor Guard had a duty of care to keep him back from his weapon, including discharging it into him if that's what it took to protect innocent members of the public from the threat of anyone unauthorised gaining control of it. Unfortunately he was likely caught on the hop and, by all accounts, probably too nice of a person.

Simples??

#BlackKnivesMatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I wish there was a gofundme for the manager who got attacked. Imagine working in a difficult job in the frontline from covid and getting attacked by that scumbag

Then having him held up as some sort of martyr while you are off work in a not great paying job

• Discodog wrote: »

This is real life you’re talking about and hypnotising, but you sound more like it’s brainstorming an episode of CSI or Criminal Minds. People don’t get out megaphones and plead for surrender, you’ve no idea what he might have in that house to cause even further harm if left alone in their for a period, he could have guns of his own or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You weren't there. You don't know what he was doing up until that famous video. But we at least know he had the knife in his hand as he tries to stab one of the guards while getting shot. Dude he brought it on himself. All the fantasy you type doesn't change a thing.

Also wait for it to be confirmed he had mental issues. People lie. People spoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would have considered myself middle of the ground for most of my voting eligible years. Last few years my opinions are drifting further and further to the right. The main reason for this is I feel more distant to what the modern "left" is becoming/has become. Facts, statistics, logic and reason are becoming irrelevant to them. I have to oppose that at every opportunity

I have gone in the opposite direction & for the same reasons. I know that Boards brings out the worst in some people but I can see why Europol are warning of an increase in right wing extremism in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

You weren't there. You don't know what he was doing up until that famous video. But we at least know he had the knife in his hand as he tries to stab one of the guards while getting shot. Dude he brought it on himself. All the fantasy you type doesn't change a thing.

Also wait for it to be confirmed he had mental issues. People lie. People spoof.

I think, but I'm not certain, this mental illness stuff comes directly from his brother - so not an unbiased source to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Darc19 wrote: »
    A lot of garda cheerleaders here, but people need to understand that when it comes to mental health issues, the gardai are utterly inept and it is only in the last few months that they have employed someone to actually devise an education strategy to give a basic level of understanding to gardai.

Whilst I won't say this was murder, it certainly is a disgusting road the gardai have gone down and I sincerely hope gsoc do a proper investigation, but I doubt it.

When it comes to mental health issues, the health service is inept so its hsrdlyvsurprising the guards dont have a handle on how to deal with these situations safely. If it is a thing that George was in the middle of some kind if psychotic episode (we dont know for certain yet, but it could explain why a taser and pepper spray didnt bring him down) then the real question we need to be asking is how can someone this ill, who is clearly a danger to others and himself, be walking around with a knife. What kind of care was he receiving, if any? Why does it have to come to the stage where guards are trying to deal with it? A man is dead, another has been injured and it could have been even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Great idea, back away from an armed and dangerous person, giving them the space and time to do whatever they want. I wonder why this isn’t standard practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

jk23 wrote: »
    I wish there was a gofundme for the manager who got attacked. Imagine working in a difficult job in the frontline from covid and getting attacked by that scumbag

Then having him held up as some sort of martyr while you are off work in a not great paying job

In reality he is out of a job now, same with the security guard.

Their lives would be at risk from many of George's friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Hamachi

In thirty years time anyone who has the money to get out of west Dublin will be gone

It will happen much more rapidly than thirty years. I know people who have already left Dublin 15 within the last five years to access better schools and to avoid the inevitable demographic change.

Personally, I have two very young kids and had planned to leave the area as soon as my eldest reached school-going age. This event has caused me to re-think and accelerate the process. My children will not be mixing with characters similar to this individual. My family will be out of this area within 18 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

So you think telling them that will solve all the problems?

Dunno, but they will become productive members of society and have self worth, house / mortgage, family all the mundane shiit the rest of society do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Your missing the point, his family were inside the house, they did not come out to talk him down, so what does that mean to you?

They were afraid of him obviously. Plus who knows what he was on at the time.

The post mortem should be interesting to see what toxicology results turn up.

Stop with the insane migration policy, tell the EU to do one aswell our homes aren't some social experiment

The EU has only control over people from the EU. Was this person an EU national. Doubt it. Brexiters made the same mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

In thirty years time anyone who has the money to get out of west Dublin will be gone

Not just West Dublin, and it won't be thirty years either, I'd say less than 10 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Yes but bear in mind this man to the bent mainstream media does not exist at all. Where do they even mention him or show photos of his very deep facial wounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

One thing's for sure. Next time someone with "mental health issues" is told by the guards to put down the knife, they'll put down the knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Not absolute, but not to the extent where you have to pull the shutters down and trap customers inside because there's a baying mob outside.

they opened a Lidl with an earth mover in tallaght and pillaged the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Danzy wrote: »
    In reality he is out of a job now, same with the security guard.

Their lives would be at risk from many of George's friends.

How is that allowed to happen??that's shocking that this type of intimadation is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Is there any evidence of these metal health claims?? Hospital? Doctor? Therapist reports?

People are saying you'd have to be mad to do this. You don't, I grew up in a real ****hole. Lads like this didn't have mental health issues, they were just pure scum who thought they were untouchable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think the problem started by homing lots of this minority together. Creating small ghettos across Dublin.
    It’s probably too late and there really isn’t anything we can do at this stage.
    It is too late sadly. The late 90's was our last chance to nip this in the bud at source. However you can't stop ghettoisation happening. People quite naturally want to live among "their own" and to stop that you'd have to actively stop people of one group living with each other. Sorry Mr Ali, you and your family can't live here, the Arab quota has been reached, we're selling the house to Mrs O'Neill. That's totalitarianism and would be illegal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,091 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Most of west Dublin is fine. Some bad pockets like everywhere.

Clonsilla Coolmine Caslteknock Hartstown Huntstown
    I lived in this area for 12 years and had hardly any issues with scumbags, and those that I did have issue with happened to be white, not that I was counting.

The black community was very quiet and my experience of individuals was universally positive.

What I have come around to reluctantly is the idea that non-white people in Ireland face substantial discrimination and racial abuse. You'd need your head in the sand to not realise it, but I guess I did. I came across the usual selection of racist taxi drivers and random ignorant scumbags, but thought they were exceptional cases who only quietly revealed their prejudices when they felt safe, but reading the experiences of non-white Irish people who have "come out" this year in the wake of the BLM movement (which I happen to have conflicting opinions on) I can't now doubt the reality.

That said, whilst I have reliable second hand knowledge of racist gardai I hope they're in a tiny minority and are not given deadly weapons. I have absolutely no idea whether the actions of the gardai in this case were racially biased, and I have no idea how anyone can say that without either witnessing it firsthand or conducting a thorough investigation. The Gardai do a very difficult job and ought to be generally given the benefit of the doubt but also investigated thoroughly when a death occurs, either in an armed response, routine arrest or or custody. I optimistically hope this will happen in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I have gone in the opposite direction & for the same reasons. I know that Boards brings out the worst in some people but I can see why Europol are warning of an increase in right wing extremism in Ireland.

Each to their own.
    I might debate with you when /if a far right extremist attack happens in Ireland.

Ireland is at a crossroads now. There have been a few high profile incidents discussed on here recently and the cause hasn't been far right extremism .

That's the reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

What happens if his family walks out and he kills one of them? who is to blame then?
    Two hours they tried to talk him down. They had no idea if he walked into that house he might of killed everyone in it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think, but I'm not certain, this mental illness stuff comes directly from his brother - so not an unbiased source to say the least

You are correct that it his brother.
    I don't believe him until it gets backed up.

I've seen scumbags come out with all sorts when they get caught doing something. Like it's "ah sure he's only a poor junkie" when a junkie gets done trying to rob someone.

If it's legit then unit 9 pysch ward in blanch hospital will have records (or where ever) there'd be something more than just a tweet.

• Advertisement

How is that allowed to happen??that's shocking that this type of intimadation is going on

If only they were flies. They'd be safe then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement