Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

I'm beginning to think , this whole BLM stuff is some sort of " get rich scheme " .

ie , white person : play Lottery / Euro millions

Black / coloured person : commit crime . Get arrested / killed by Law enforcement . Paint picture of " sainthood " . Set up GoFundMe pages . Get rich / watch money roll in .

( Also , cause riot / loot stores etc ) .

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    You only need to look at that idiot Ebun Joseph to see how this stuff works too. Gathering the various agenda driven groups, organising social media drives to push certain narratives to influence media perception of the event because they don't want people seeing it naturally.

In any other part of Irish life the vast majority of people see this event for what it was. A thug that went too far and left the Gardai no option in trying to stop him hurting people. Even online boards, Facebook, reddit etc show that view. But on twitter there's so many agenda driven loons, trend following idiots (which includes a lot of public representatives) and international interests all giving a seriously skewed view of what happened and how society should view it.

The result is politicians and media judging it based on that twitter view and falling in with the expected online opinion and not judging stuff based on reason and reality.

Public representatives should be banned from using twitter imo. It's bad enough that people themselves are engaging in tribal warfare over every topic and dragging international issues into irish society where they didn't previously exist but to actually have public officials so easily open to influence by these people and groups and enabling the creation of those divisions is not good.

I agree to a large extent.

Unfortunately you get people who will use the incident to further a racist agenda on both sides and those people are going to go at it tooth and nail irregardless of the facts of the case. The BLM type contingent are in my view going way too far in attributing it entirely to race but they at the same time are being antagonized by far right racists who are in many cases having a laugh at a mans death and delighted it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

From Irish Times: Thursday’s protest was mainly peaceful aside from a small scuffle which broke out outside the station’s entrance during the speeches - well that is bullish*t
    He said his bother had a “kind heart” but had “suffered from mental health issues” in recent years. “He didn’t really go outside, just to the shop and back. He has his little friend group and that’s it. My brother never bothered anybody, he just got on with his own life.” - well that is bulls**t also
    Seriously these people call themselves journalists?

Princess Toyin Ogunwusi, a family friend, said Mr Nkencho’s mother Blessing was doing “horribly” and still would not accept the news of her son’s death. “The shock is too much for her. The shooting happened right in the family’s presence, they actually have a recording of it. It will be in their memories for the rest of their lives.” - This raises huge questions, why are the family in the house recording instead of going out to help their mild mannered, quiet brother?

I don’t get why they’re not reporting the full picture eg the fights by the filling station. Everyone in their right mind knows the score judging by the Facebook comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Least we not forget that we lost a Guard last year to a man with mental health issues, who emptied a magazine of bullets into him.

Perhaps in that case the Guard was too slow to react and perhaps didn't want to pull a gun on a man in the street, thinking he could talk the situation out, or if he shot the man it would look really bad, or end his career.

But now he's gone and his family left without him. If he had done more to protect himself he might still be here today.

Yet we have those who are saying the members of the ARU should have stood idly by whilst this guy ran at them with a machete?

From Irish Times: Thursday’s protest was mainly peaceful aside from a small scuffle which broke out outside the station’s entrance during the speeches - well that is bullish*t
    He said his bother had a “kind heart” but had “suffered from mental health issues” in recent years. “He didn’t really go outside, just to the shop and back. He has his little friend group and that’s it. My brother never bothered anybody, he just got on with his own life.” - well that is bulls**t also

Princess Toyin Ogunwusi, a family friend, said Mr Nkencho’s mother Blessing was doing “horribly” and still would not accept the news of her son’s death. “The shock is too much for her. The shooting happened right in the family’s presence, they actually have a recording of it. It will be in their memories for the rest of their lives.” - This raises huge questions, why are the family in the house recording instead of going out to help their mild mannered, quiet brother?

Good question. Although it could have been a camera installed in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think , this whole BLM stuff is some sort of " get rich scheme " .

Black / coloured person : commit crime . Get arrested / killed by Law enforcement . Paint picture of " sainthood " . Set up GoFundMe pages . Get rich / watch money roll in .

It's a fact: Racial Justice Groups Flooded With Millions in Donations in Wake of Floyd Death
    There was another article doing the rounds recently, which I can't find now, that said they've made hundreds of millions but haven't be able to account for their spending. I've see little proof that this money has actually done anything to help anyone, the process is simply a way for guilty white leftists to feel good about themselves, so I don't think that they care where the money goes.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I can't believe I just read this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

I can absolutely guarantee you that if they have recordings of his death and it put the Gardai in a bad light (shot him in back for no reason etc...) it would be all over social media by now. In fact what they have is what we've all seen, a video of a guy who attempted to murder at least one Gardai before being shot, that's why they don't want that video being shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

BLM in the USA is an entirely different kettle of fish to the movement here.

There are plenty of very clear cut unnecessary killings by police (and a security guard) over there. The killing of George Floyd was one of those and the footage was extremely disturbing.

There are no such things here. Even the most damning interpretation of events with Nchenko doesn't compare to a man being slowly strangled to death for a petty non-violent crime.

• Administrators Posts: 14,105 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Gruffalux wrote: »
    And was the robbers family put front and centre in all media afterwards is what I mean?

No. But then again the family didn't have a movement of neighbours protesting at the loss of an innocent life. The papers report on (sensationalise) what is going on. And for now this is what is going on.

I have a feeling it'll all blow over soon enough. At least I hope it will and the enquiry is left to run. It must have been horrendous for his family. Regardless of the circumstances that led to it. They are innocent and they are now mourning their brother/son who was shot dead, very publicly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Where is the outrage and questions asked at how violent Ireland has become in the last twenty years. Every single politician in the Dail has overseen this, yes tweedledumb and tweedledee, and the media have also failed to do their job. It was a fairly safe country twenty years ago. Less so today. What has been given away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Let’s see if the GOfundme ceiling is raised again. Was 5K, now 15K. Hope that lad he beat the ****e out of in Eurospar is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,694 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I can't believe I just read this

Why, what part is untrue ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

bubblypop wrote: »
    Everyday at work

Which Spar? The foxhunter at lucan is it?

I'm in there most days myself. Say hi the next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Good question. Although it could have been a camera installed in the house.

The suggestion is they watched it. The word presence is used.

If they have a recording and it was bad for Garda it would be released at this stage because other videos which look like they are taken from inside the house are out on the web.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

high_tower wrote: »
    I don’t get why they’re not reporting the full picture eg the fights by the filling station. Everyone in their right mind knows the score judging by the Facebook comments.

It's about setting an agenda nothing more. If you think the press in Ireland (or anywhere tbh) is free, fair and balanced you are mistaken.

Where is the outrage and questions asked at how violent Ireland has become in the last twenty years. Every single politician in the Dail has overseen this, yes tweedledumb and tweedledee, and the media have also failed to do their job. It was a fairly safe country twenty years ago. Less so today. What has been given away.

Was only a few weeks back a few lads cutting each other up in the middle of the day in Dublin City Centre.
    Only the other night a family on RTE news talking about knife crime after their son got murdered.
    Yet this guys goes around trying to kill someone with a huge knife, Garda protect the public and this carry on. It's disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

2smiggy wrote: »
    Why, what part is untrue ?

The part where black people arrange to get themselves killed by police so other black people can get money. That's the part that's untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I cannot fathom all this "Justice for George!" crap... it's clear as day of what happened, yet they're making it sound like he was some random person shot dead by the Gardai for absolutely no reason beyond fabricated implications of racism, which is utter bull.

I guess these idiots would've preferred he'd kill a Gardai or others first... and even then they're probably cry for "justice" because he was black.

Being Black doesn't make you immune to consequences of one's own actions, yet these people seem to want it that way.

All the details of what he did and what the Gardai attempted peacefully are in that article. It's up to the reader how they read it. If people are protesting the shooting the media have to cover that. Would you like to live in a society where the media ignored protests about police shootings?

The agenda of some people has been all too clear since this news broke - I personally think the Gardai probably had no choice in the end but jesus people on both sides of this 'debate' wreck my head with the agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭obi604

Wonder what will happen for this lads funeral, not sure sure what religion they practise. Max of 10 people and all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The part where black people arrange to get themselves killed by police so other black people can get money. That's the part that's untrue.

I'm in the 'garda were right' camp but I agree with you here, there's no way this happens. But....the black community have been seen to use it as an excuse to profiteer and loot which they must see as some form of entitled reparations. In this case its a go fund me campaign.
    That family will not need money for a funeral, no way are the state not going to foot the bill.

Mwengwe wrote: »
    All the details of what he did and what the Gardai attempted peacefully are in that article. It's up to the reader how they read it. If people are protesting the shooting the media have to cover that. Would you like to live in a society where the media ignored protests about police shootings?

No it doesn't
    People locked themselves into a shop to get away from "protestors"
    Random people getting attacked because of colour of skin
    Cars getting attacked and damaged in Blanchardstown centre
    The list goes on

The journalist says "Thursday’s protest was mainly peaceful aside from a small scuffle which broke out outside the station’s entrance during the speeches"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Hamachi

..,who are in many cases having a laugh at a mans death and delighted it happened.

Who is doing this? I haven’t seen anybody celebrating the fact that this man died. Granted, I’m not on social media, but the bulk of the commentary here is respectful of the fact that a life has been lost.

Personally, I’m far more concerned about the Garda who had no other option, but to discharge his weapon, and the manager of Eurospar, who is apparently permanently disfigured. I hope that they can both recover from this event in time and move forward to lead happy and fulfilling lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Unfortunately you get people who will use the incident to further a racist agenda on both sides and those people are going to go at it tooth and nail irregardless of the facts of the case. The BLM type contingent are in my view going way too far in attributing it entirely to race but they at the same time are being antagonized by far right racists who are in many cases having a laugh at a mans death and delighted it happened.

Anyone who would have a laugh about it or be delighted or use it as an opportunity to call people "scum" (a word I particularly hate) or any other word is not worth a moment of attention. They are betrayed by their low IQ and are contemptible.
    But I saw no intervening "far right" call out between the shooting and the BLM-style stuff. The foundations for that were laid in the summer hysteria that reached here for some inexplicable reason after George Floyds death.
    I can actually understand young people being swept up in an emotional moment. Their frontal lobes are not fully developed. They love communal drama and the latest thing. It is the adults pandering to extreme emotion and ideology that I object to - people like the politicians who skipped over the trauma of the gardai to offer condolences. Which I presume they did not offer to Mark Hennessys family. Or the 2009 Spar Robbers family. Because the professional responsible thing to do is wait and do not add fuel to flames.
    Then again I caught a glimpse of Lyne Ruane's NYE twitter post ( I admit I had not heard before of her or a lot of these people like Ebun Joseph or the girl from IHREC)and as a woman I felt like face palming about her shallow narcissism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Neither side is reacting to the other though. They're both trying to push their own agenda and define the narrative to suit their own ends. If one disappeared the other would still be doing what they're doing because it's beneficial to them.

Both sides shouldn't be given any credence yet one is obviously given much more than the other by the media and politicians. From what I see that's because they've been more effective at defining the narrative by taking advantage of established left wing sympathises to push their extreme agendas.

An example is Ebun Joseph. She isn't left wing or progressive by Irish standards. She's a nutcase, racist and career instigator egging on violence and creating race divisions in Ireland. Yet UCD have her as director of black studies or whatever, she's constantly interviewed and promoted as this progressive voice in Irish society because actual left wing voices are keen to look even more progressive by finding the next set of victims of the man to support.

I feel sorry for anyone in the area who was considering selling their house. The price of houses in the area went down after this incident surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Augme

Because there is no way in a million years would the Gardai allow a family member get involved in that situation. I'm amazed you think they would aswell tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I feel sorry for anyone in the area who was considering selling their house. The price of houses in the area went down after this incident surely.

Don't be daft.ie, house prices won't drop a cent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Indeed. House prices in Dublin 15 were already amongst the lowest in Dublin, outside of Balbriggan. This event certainly won’t trigger an increase.

I’m looking at selling myself in the next 12-18 months. It will certainly be at a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Augme wrote: »
    Because there is no way in a million years would the Gardai allow a family member get involved in that situation. I'm amazed you think they would aswell tbh.

In the carving knife incident that race baiters like ebun Joseph mention, the man was eventually talked down by his father, why wouldn't they be allowed try that here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement