Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Anyone who would have a laugh about it or be delighted or use it as an opportunity to call people "scum" (a word I particularly hate) or any other word is not worth a moment of attention. They are betrayed by their low IQ and are contemptible.
    But I saw no intervening "far right" call out between the shooting and the BLM-style stuff. The foundations for that were laid in the summer hysteria that reached here for some inexplicable reason after George Floyds death.
    I can actually understand young people being swept up in an emotional moment. Their frontal lobes are not fully developed. They love communal drama and the latest thing. It is the adults pandering to extreme emotion and ideology that I object to - people like the politicians who skipped over the trauma of the gardai to offer condolences. Which I presume they did not offer to Mark Hennessys family. Or the 2009 Spar Robbers family. Because the professional responsible thing to do is wait and do not add fuel to flames.
    Then again I caught a glimpse of Lyne Ruane's NYE twitter post ( I admit I had not heard before of her or a lot of these people like Ebun Joseph or the girl from IHREC)and as a woman I felt like face palming about her shallow narcissism.

Lynn Ruanne was on RTE last night looking all smug after telling us tax payers to kiss her arse for criticising her after she called the Gards racist.

Absolutely disgraceful.

Then Hazel Chu joined in with her, the Lord Mayor of Dublin.

Who's gonna hold them accountable?

Noone, great little country.

I feel sorry for anyone in the area who was considering selling their house. The price of houses in the area went down after this incident surely.

Yeah cos thats the important part of the whole incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lynn Ruanne was on RTE last night looking all smug after telling us tax payers to kiss her arse for criticising her calling the Gards racist.

Absolutely disgraceful.

Who's gonna hold her accountable?

Noone, great little country.

Thankfully we have freedom of speech, she is entitled to say what she wants (within reason).

But hopefully it will inform a lot of folk what type of person she is going forward.

And if people don't like that Chu said, they can make sure not to vote for her next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Kraftwerk wrote: »

An example is Ebun Joseph. She isn't left wing or progressive by Irish standards. She's a nutcase, racist and career instigator egging on violence and creating race divisions in Ireland. Yet UCD have her as director of black studies or whatever, she's constantly interviewed and promoted as this progressive voice in Irish society because actual left wing voices are keen to look even more progressive by finding the next set of victims of the man to support.

She's a modern day Ian Paisley, promoting division and hatred to further her career, and a dodgy Doctorate to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 20,694 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

The part where black people arrange to get themselves killed by police so other black people can get money. That's the part that's untrue.

The go fund me has raised the amount it's looking for, so not not untrue it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

ElJeffe wrote: »
    It's about setting an agenda nothing more. If you think the press in Ireland (or anywhere tbh) is free, fair and balanced you are mistaken.

Can see it backfiring on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

She's a modern day Ian Paisley, promoting division and hatred to further her career, and a dodgy Doctorate to boot

That comparison is not quite fair.........

........Ian paid for his own doctorate I believe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

hynesie08 wrote: »
    In the carving knife incident that race baiters like ebun Joseph mention, the man was eventually talked down by his father, why wouldn't they be allowed try that here?

For the same reason we don't leave investigations of crimes or justice to be decided by private individuals and kangaroo courts nor do we leave sentencing punishment and imprisonment up to the mob.
    Professional police officers trained and armed to deal with violent suspects backed up by trained negotiators who know what they are doing cannot allow members of the public to get involved risking an escalation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Hamachi

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thankfully we have freedom of speech, she is entitled to say what she wants (within reason).

But hopefully it will inform a lot of folk what type of person she is going forward

Agreed. It’s good to give these people a platform to air their views. After this incident, large swathes of the electorate now know where they stand with respect to Chu, Ruane et al.

Really has shone a light on the extremely low caliber of some public representatives in Ireland.

But hopefully it will inform a lot of folk what type of person she is going forward.

And if people don't like that Chu said, they can make sure not to vote for her next time round.

She cant say what she wants if it causes riots and people been locked in shops again their will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Mwengwe wrote: »
    All the details of what he did and what the Gardai attempted peacefully are in that article. It's up to the reader how they read it. If people are protesting the shooting the media have to cover that. Would you like to live in a society where the media ignored protests about police shootings?

The agenda of some people has been all too clear since this news broke - I personally think the Gardai probably had no choice in the end but jesus people on both sides of this 'debate' wreck my head with the agendas.

And what agenda is that, pray tell? Don't let fantastical believes draw yourself to some stretched out conclusions now...

Hamachi wrote: »
    Agreed. It’s good to give these people a platform to air their views. After this incident, large swathes of the electorate now know where they stand with respect to Chu, Ruane et al.

Really has shone a light on the extremely low caliber of some public representatives in Ireland.

Do they though?

I suspect most people who aren't on twitter will have no idea of their comments the last few days and they will get away with it.

Who's gonna call them out publicly?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do they though?

I suspect most people who aren't on twitter will have no idea of their comments the last few days and they will get away with it.

Well you see if we had any decent journo's in this country, be they in print media or on the TV current affairs shows, they should call them out.

Its up to Miriam, Matt Cooper, etc to do their job and ask the hard questions next time they are on Prime Time or TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Its up to Miriam, Matt Cooper, etc to do their job and ask the hard questions next time they are on Prime Time or TV3.

Christ. I see the other poster’s point now..

Well you see if we had any decent journo's in this country, be they in print media or on the TV current affairs shows, they should call them out.

Niall Boylan would be the only one who might try it.

The rest I have no hope of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The likes of Joseph have no shame, they constantly get shown up on prime time and the radio, then they go on twitter "spin a new narrative" block and call racist anyone who disagrees, then shills her book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Do they though?

True. If we had a political right who did the same if a native committed a similar crime, it would be plastered all over all of the news outlets, it would be a story what would go on for at least a week. The media would make sure to make a big fuss about it. When it's their own side though, none of it gets covered.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I wouldn't worry too much about it tbh.....

Most of these young black people covering it on social media are just looking for clout and out to make a bit of a name for themselves...that's why they're laughing recording riots and not genuinely upset.
    His family will fade away in the coming days when they realise protesting is futile and they have a funeral to plan.
    There are also plenty of decent,hardworking Nigerian parents who will pull their sons/daughters away from this scene in the coming days before their card is marked with a summons.
    They're not all stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,810 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I think discussions on this matter could be short circuited to a large degree if, before giving their opinion, everyone could clarify

1) whether they believe racism is wrong or not.
    2) whether they believe it is okay to shoot someone dead when they are committing a crime
    3) whether someone with mental health issues should be dealt with differently than someone else.

NB - I'm not pre-judging the outcome of any independent investigation. These are just core beliefs that everyone has.

To me, it seems prudent to establish one's stance on these issues from the get go. It would save hours of back and forths with someone arguing for example, whether this situation was dealt with differently because of race only to get someone to agree that it was, and only then to find out that they think that is okay. What's the point in wasting time on that argument?

Anyhoo, that's my view on this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah that will happen all right, Cooper and O Callaghan always give left leaning liberal types an easy ride on their shows, everyone knows that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

everlast75 wrote: »
    I think discussions on this matter could be short circuited to a large degree if, before giving their opinion, everyone could clarify

2) whether they believe it is okay to shoot someone dead when they are committing a crime
    3) whether someone with mental health issues should be dealt with differently than someone else.

NB - I'm not pre-judging the outcome of any independent investigation. These are just core beliefs that everyone has.

To me, it seems prudent to establish one's stance on these issues from the get go. It would save hours of back and forths with someone arguing for example, whether this situation was dealt with differently because of race only to get someone to agree that it was, and only then to find out that they think that is okay. What's the point in wasting time on that argument?

It would be prudent?

myshirt wrote: »
    It would be prudent?

adjective;

acting with or showing care and thought for the future.

Any other questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No it doesn't
    People locked themselves into a shop to get away from "protestors"
    Random people getting attacked because of colour of skin
    Cars getting attacked and damaged in Blanchardstown centre
    The list goes on

The journalist says "Thursday’s protest was mainly peaceful aside from a small scuffle which broke out outside the station’s entrance during the speeches"

Reminds me of this wonderful interpretation of reality which aired during the summer in the US.
    This was an actual live report. Similar narrative been used here apparently...

CNN-Headline-Fiery-2.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I went to school in London in the 1990s and I was in college in Dublin in the early 2000s. My friends were all very liberal on the issue of immigration at the time. I told them Ireland is going to sleep walk into problems especially as it lacks the will to properly organise and find real social integration initiatives and provide adequate inclusive education services. I said there will be problems 20 years later.

Here we are.

What I did not expect is that politicians who should know better would stoke feelings of undue grievance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

everlast75 wrote: »

I don't think anyone needs to have a stance on those items. They have absolutely nothing to do with the graduated response that led to the man getting shot. Irrelevant post

• Registered Users Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Niall Boylan would be the only one who might try it.

The rest I have no hope of.

Ian O'Doherty would be another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

In fairness people are coming down hard on the like of Helen MacEntee and Hazel Chu now

https://twitter.com/Cuan_oc/status/1344590976346697728

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

gozunda wrote: »
    Reminds me of this wonderful interpretation of reality which aired during the summer in the US.
    This was an actual live report. Similar narrative been used here apparently...

CNN-Headline-Fiery-2.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

There was this lad too

Screen-Shot-2020-05-28-at-11.38.14-PM.png?ve=1&tl=1
    This is mostly a protest. It is not, generally speaking, unruly

Absolutely farcical stuff :D

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

In fairness people are coming down hard on the like of Helen MacEntee and Hazel Chu now

https://twitter.com/Cuan_oc/status/1344590976346697728

Few random comments on twitter isn't enough.

They need to be called out by the media.

• Advertisement

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone needs to have a stance on those items. They have absolutely nothing to do with the graduated response that led to the man getting shot. Irrelevant post

There's nothing wrong with clarifying those points before making your conclusion, and you may be entirely right on your reading of the event.

I myself don't want to prejudge the outcome of an independent enquiry.

The reason I say that is because from what I've read on social media replies, including boards, a shed load of people are basing their interpretation of what happened on some of those beliefs, and it appears to me to be a complete waste of time arguing certain issues, when time could be saved by setting out the stall from the get go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement