Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

In a few of the articles some crowd known as the “Igbo community” are quoted.

Who are they does anyone know

Ever heard of Biafra? It got subsumed into Nigeria, that's the region the Igbo people are from and they have several groups setup internationally including Ireland.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the_syco wrote: »
    https://www.hotpress.com/culture/george-nkencho-a-friend-of-man-shot-by-gardai-in-dublin-talks-exclusively-to-hot-press-22837684

Pepper-sprayed and taser wasn't enough? Aside from "usually less than fatal" rubber bullets, what else do they propose?

Are you expecting these toolboxes to be in anyway rational?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

Thank God for our policemen and police women. They make the big calls in live situations. The chin scratchers and social media subscribers like all of us contributing here have the comfort of a safe chair and lots of time to consider what “should” have been done in this type of dangerous event.
    Easy to give a narrative on a dangerous and life threatening situation when in a place of safety and comfort.
    I trust our frontline Gardai to make the right calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That’s the problem now, there’s an ever growing number of people who will do exactly that and try and use it to excuse absolutely anything.

A month in Dundrum would cure that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Thing about this is it's gonna make more racists in this country
    The African community need to start being strong about this and speak out against it and don't turn into the Travellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Much as I’m not a fan of social media in general, without it we would not have any real information on what actually happened. The Garda involved was very lucky someone posted that video of the shooting and the disturbances that followed. Very sad that we have such poor journalism in this country driven party by fine gales tendency to hire the journalists they like as “special advisors”, on much larger salaries than they would earn in their no security contract Media roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Igbo is a Nigerian ethnicity (tribe), Nigeria is a federal state.

Igbo are mostly Christian. Irish missionaries have strong links with them. They tried to create a breakaway state “Biafra” in the 60s and the Nigerian gov. Struggled to defeat them completely and effectively starved them into submission.
    In some of the Nigerian news sites reporting this shooting (Facebook comments) you can see inter-ethnic tensions, e.g. Hausa slagging off Igbo saying he wasnt a “real Nigerian”etc.

carq wrote: »
    Is it too much to ask for honest reporting of this this from the media?

Independent.ie - useless
    Thejournal.ie- useless
    Rte.ie - and rte news reporting was downright misleading.

Has virgin media reported all the ‘protests’ yesterday?

I imagine that they don't want to feed the mobile phone waving mob.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Stuff like this is absolutely scummy and likely fiction. We're really going down a dangerous road in this country.

Racial inequality...... The chap and his family were housed and I'd guess they didn't have a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I imagine that they don't want to feed the mobile phone waving mob.

That may be true.

However, not countering the incorrect racism agenda which has exploded over the last few days, only gives the protesters and commentators the impression that they can get away with this bolloxology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

sasta le wrote: »
    The African community need to start being strong about this and speak out against it and don't turn into the Travellers

Not necessarily. One can object to the behaviours in blanchardstown yesterday without being or becoming racists. The African community in blanchardstown as you put it need to become part of the blanchardstown community regardless of their country of origin or colour. Otherwise we have no integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Totes disagree. America erupted for the lack of conciliatory language. Intervention by politicians to calm matters is absolutely essential.
    But where is the conciliatory language today about this? We apparently have borderline fiction on RTE about George, many on the left are trying to colour him in a light different to what his actions show, and are working hard to inflame tensions. Some of the reporting on the protests report no facts leading up to the shooting and make it seem Gardai just showed up at his door and shot him.
    This is irresponsible. Painting George as a saint is as bad - actually worse - than a politician saying George was armed and attacked and injured several people.
    Reporting a lie is celebrated, commenting with facts is attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

The game is up already, imo.
    The employment rates among africans in Ireland is dreadful.
    Our welfare rates are a huge draw for many people to Ireland, and the stints in direct provision are getting shorter and shorter. With brexit now done, they've pulled up the drawbridge n Ireland is the only show in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

What annoys me is Ireland being painted as some racist hellhole.
    Rte have been pushing this for a while now slowly with articles of ‘everyday racism’, white people bad narrative.

The reality is Ireland is a very tolerant country who looks after immigrants on the whole better than most countries (dp aside) .

The Gardai for their faults are one of the most tolerant forces out there and possibly the furthest from USA style policing there is.

The bulk of the country know this but as usual the extremes get to control the narrative while mainstream media avoid reporting facts for fear of being seen as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Wibbs wrote: »
    And that's the problem. There are no measured commentators in the middle, it's either the excessively Right On who get pretty much all the column inches, or the Right who get nowhere but twitter and the like. Both only see colour and victims, both play the exact same identity and outrage politics to different ends. Neither will make any positive difference in the long term and we only have to look to other European multicultural nations to see that.

Its a worrying situation if people in Hartstown can only read about what they saw and experienced, via right-wing media. And the mob violence and intimidation are completely ignored by regular media - who still report on the story, but mainly as a potential unlawful racist killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Totes disagree. America erupted for the lack of conciliatory language. Intervention by politicians to calm matters is absolutely essential.

There was no shortage of political commentary in America by both sides last year, and it more less had the effect of pouring gasoline on an already bursting powder keg; because a lot of politicians just don't have the tact to intervene in calm ways like you so wish.

Let the investigations run their course, gather all the information before getting on a soapbox on twitter or the like. Offer an empty platitude to all hurt by the incident if you must, but refrain from undermining the Gardaí with accusations of bias before we know the facts of this particular case, or solely lamenting the pain of one side of the parties involved while ignoring the pain of the other, as this achieves nothing but planting the seed of division in people's minds; an us vs them mentality.

"You say it best, when you say nothing at all" - Ronan Keating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

carq wrote: »
    What annoys me is Ireland being painted as some racist hellhole.
    Rte have been pushing this for a while now slowly with articles of ‘everyday racism’, white people bad narrative.

If we're a racist society then maybe we should be sending African migrants back home for their own good. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭amacca

But where is the conciliatory language today about this? We apparently have borderline fiction on RTE about George, many on the left are trying to colour him in a light different to what his actions show, and are working hard to inflame tensions. Some of the reporting on the protests report no facts leading up to the shooting and make it seem Gardai just showed up at his door and shot him.
    This is irresponsible. Painting George as a saint is as bad - actually worse - than a politician saying George was armed and attacked and injured several people.
    Reporting a lie is celebrated, commenting with facts is attacked.

I agree...RTE should report the full truth for once, not just the version they think will play best or fits the ideology du jour That should be their function if they dont report all sides factually and accurately it will have negative consequences down the line.

The main motivations shouldn't be to fit in with the "narrative" or try and say as little as possible or keep the funding coming (although I see how that could take over) ......they should be properly independant and given an iron clad mandate to do what journalists should do, report the objective truth and ways to make them stick to that mandate.....especially now with so many sources of divisive horse**** around.

That's the correct thing to do, anything else is deeply problematic long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Too late for that. If you read the quotes in the articles written about this is all about how "young black people are afraid to leave their homes because they're being racially profiled" and how young black men with mental health issues are being targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,368 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I do feel sorry for the Brother and Mother. It is still their brother/son and I’m sure to them he was good, and to his friends who maybe naive, I may also forgive. He may have acted different around them I’m sure.

But

I cannot forgive the Politicians who have come out and supported this act of thuggery.

Thankfully most people are on the same side of this, for a change, and that’s most welcome. I just hope these so called Politicians get a earful the next time they come knocking the door at ordinary law abiding citizens.

• Advertisement

The Garda involved was very lucky someone posted that video of the shooting and the disturbances that followed. .

Gardai do not need people posting random videos to social media. It's not helpful.
    If someone actually has footage of an incident then they should hand over that footage to the investigating body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Africa is a huge continent, made up of different nations, theae are split with different tribal groups that can be further divided on language and religion. Logically there cannot be a representative that speaks for all Africans in Ireland. Nigeria alone has a population over 200 million people and is a multi-ethnic state.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

When has that ever happened anywhere?

This situation will be no different. Minorities that are over represented in crime/chronic unemployment/low education rates never look internally, it's always blamed on wider society despite this same society providing them with myriad opportunities to improve their situation.

It doesn't help that the now have plenty of cheerleaders in both public and private life who are more than willing to help them push their imagined agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not necessarily. The African community in blanchardstown as you put it need to become part of the blanchardstown community regardless of their country of origin or colour. Otherwise we have no integration.

Some will for sure, and gladly try to join in with community life.

But I'd guess the more move into an area, the more likely it is that more will stick "to their own" so to speak, and existing Irish will gradually move out over time.

Many parts of big English cities, and indeed cities around the world, have seen this happen.

People tend to stick to their own kind. Its a human trait thats hard to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

The only people in this country at the moment who are being abused is the tax paying law abiding citizens.

Your better looked after now and better represented the more useless and scummy you are.

The biggest problem in this country is that there is no one in government to stand up for the hard working tax payers who keep the country going and add to society

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Ever heard of Biafra? It got subsumed into Nigeria, that's the region the Igbo people are from and they have several groups setup internationally including Ireland.

Interestingly ,I think Ebuns father was a part of the Nigerian government at the time this happened. Does she ever mention it? 2 million died I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Does anybody have a list of people shot at by gardai in the last 10 years or so? Including non lethal shootings. I know there was one shooting recently in cork - some lad on the motor way was shot at by the guards but he survived. In fact I don't think he was hit at all.

Any more incidents like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Does anybody have a list of people shot at by gardai in the last 10 years or so? Including non lethal shootings. I know there was one shooting recently in cork - some lad on the motor way was shot at by the guards but he survived. In fact I don't think he was hit at all.

No but I did find that they shot a total of eight people between 1990 and 2005. I assume that includes the guard who was killed by friendly fire in the same period. More guards were killed during the same time though most were from accidental causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I’d say your man drew Harris has a list somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I looked at the video allegedly showing a woman and son being attacked outside a circle k yesterday.

Have any of you seen it or can watch it again?

It looks like the woman his holding a baby! You can see a tiny pink hat and what looks like a baby in her arms. She then falls to the ground but no image of the baby is clear and the camera follows the scuffle before the clip ends seconds later.

Watch it again closely. Perhaps im wrong. I actually felt a little sick when I noticed it so would like to be proven wrong.

Also is there any context for this particular incident

https://www.facebook.com/518620081515968/posts/4131343846910222/

Watch the first few seconds closely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement