Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Guards should have body cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

obi604 wrote: »
    How did ye reckon the funeral will pan out with COVID and all?

Will hundreds turn up

Interesting question. You would hope the same rule applies for everyone and the priest insists on it and is listened to. On the other hand, if there is a large gathering could be a difficult decision for Guards. Nobody wants to see heavy handedness at a funeral and they won’t want to be seen to inflame anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

While he is gone looking through my posting history for something to throw at me in return everyone else will get a couple of minutes peace

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Me and my ilk, can you explain exactly what you mean by that to be
    clear for all to read ?

No problem I'm glad you asked.

You and your ilk = people who are desperate to boil every issue down to racism, who are determined to portray this country as inherently racist and wish to self flagellate for the crime of having white skin.

Do you care to demonstrate how the George Nkencho killing was racially motivated now please?

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

You must have the wrong forum plumb you looking for gaa forum ?
    I know , how’s your back from moving the goalposts so many times yesterday?

Stop bickering the pair of ye and get back on topic, don't engage one another again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

carq wrote: »
    Rte lunchtime news - lets see how its reported

Edit- 5 minutes news for some reason. No mention of the story.

I think RTE news is right not to give these protestors any mainstream media attention. I think that would just escalate the protests as they would think the majority is now listening to them. They should definitely not give the spotlight to those politicians who are trying to make hay from the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

You can bring a horse to water Plumb, but you can’t make it drink.

Edit can anyone imagine a
    Black person posting here and the abuse they would get if they disagreed with the loudest view here, lots are reading and will be ashamed to be Irish

Well this is a bullsh1t.

It doesn't matter what colour you are, I would disagree with any member of any race who attempted to suggest that AGS actions were racially motivated.

Your argument is a disgrace and you should be ashamed of yourself, labelling 99% of us as being racist for objectively viewing the incident.

I suggest those who are reading and not contributing, to do so.

"Ashamed to be Irish", give over. I'm ashamed of people (politicians, journalists and activists included) using this incident to incite hatred, promote racial tensions and divide communities.

There was no racial issue to this, how YOU can continue to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Where is the evidence of racist intent? Where is it? Point it out? There evidence of a man purposefully carrying a weapon, assaulting innocent victims and attempting to harm AGS with the weapon....all this evidence is in the video.

Where's your evidence of racial motivations by AGS.

I will wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I"m Irish and agree 100% with the op, obviously not everyone but a large % of our population are self serving narcissistic twits"

You said this you divisive shīt stirrer[/quote

Ok that’s very weird and off topic, you see this is an echo chamber of racism, you won’t admit so call me all sorts of
    names, but this changes nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

humberklog wrote: »
    Couldn't every act of violence then be excused because the attacker was in an "unhealthy" state of mind? We'd be hugging it out with wife beaters and releasing violent prisoners with a slap on the back and a pamphlet on Mindfulness stuffed into their top pocket.

Where does the amateur psychological diagnosis, forgiveness and understanding start and stop and when are some humans just considered really ****ty people and should in life and death be treated and remembered as such?

Not using it as an excuse no.. Just acknowledging its the reason is enough..

That mental state has consequences as yer man found out the painful way

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Wombatman wrote: »
    I expect we don't know the whole story yet and many significant factors have gone unreported.

I have probably left out a load of other stuff that will have to be considered too.

I think it pretty foolish to be passing final judgement on Nkencho or the Gardai until we get all the facts.

People on both sides need to cool their jets, consider only verified facts and wait for more facts to be established. Don't let your biases get in the way of fact.
    Agreed with this.

I think these days, likely as a result of the instantness of social media, there is a real need for people (including public representatives) to take a position, make a public statement, as soon as possible, well before all or even any facts are established.

This isn't helped by people happily weaponising the fact that somebody hasn't immediately taken a position (along the lines of WHY IS VARADKAR SILENT ON THIS?, or WHY IS RTE NOT COVERING THIS?).

Hopefully people can just slow down and wait for facts to emerge and investigations to take place, and that people looking to stir shyte get as little traction as possible.

Unlikely though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

nullzero wrote: »
    This shooting wasn't something that happened in isolation with one armed Garda and George Nkencho with no onlookers.

The facts are that he attacked another human being with a knife (FACT), the Gardai interacted with him and did not rush to shooting him (FACT) but instead used a graduated approach which was not successful as George Nkencho would not be talked down(FACT).

There is no racial angle to any of this, he was not shot by racist police who wanted to kill him because he was black. He wasn't shot because he had a mental illness, and he certainly wasn't brandishing a butter knife.

What exactly from my original post are you taking issue with?

Great. Someone with some FACTs.

Did he attack someone with a knife? Tell us more about what happened during the attack will you?
    Gardaí had been called to the scene following reports of a man armed with a knife at a Eurospar shop in Hartstown.

The man, named as George Nkencho, had reportedly threatened staff at the shop at around 12.15pm.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1231/1187071-gsoc-shooting-investigation/

Says here he threatened staff. Did he threaten them or attack them? Who should I believe, some randomer on boards.ie or RTE?

You say the Gardai used "a graduated approach"? Can you give us some details on the graduated they used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

You must have the wrong forum plumb you looking for gaa forum ?

Reading over your posts I have to wonder what your agenda is. You are hell bent on the fact boards is enabling racism.

You use bull**** phrasing as if to insinuate NO ONE know's what happened
    There are videos of almost every moment of the discussed moment available online BUT no, keep badgering people and stoking flames that don't need to exist.

I hope the Guards involved get the pat on the back they deserve for having to do a dangerous front line job that half the keyboard warriors on here would have next to zero understanding of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

nullzero wrote: »
    Pure self indulgent waffle.

This isn't a race issue not matter how hard you and your ilk attempt to steer it in that direction.

There’s nothing to suggest it’s a race issue yet for me. That’s not to say it’s impossible that race played a part but the guard deserves the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty.

Fact is, none of us really know and yet so many posters are drawing a conclusion to fit with their own world view.

I can’t for the life of me see how anyone or any group can hang a race protest on this incident given what we know about it. It screams of people desperate to protest and now they’ve found their martyr. And, given what we know about the lad, it looks like you don’t need any minimum level of decency to be a martyr. Just a skin colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

1000s and nothing will be done as the government or Gardai won't touch them as they will use the race card.....

Everyone could see this coming so welcome to America people

Nothing to do with America, what we have is the side effects of the social media experiment our current society is involved in.

Both sides are misguided here, that includes the people blindly willing to accept a man list his life without first having factual information from trusted unbiased sources, and those claiming this as a result of racism.

Can I just point out that in the past 20 years;

6 people have been shot dead by Gardai.

6 people that were shot dead, were armed and actively involved I'm endangering lives.

5 of those were white Irish. Thats right, this is the first non white, non Irish person!

16 Gardai have given their lives in the line of duty

Of those 16, 6 were intentionally killed by criminals that the Gardai were attempting to stop.

Of those 6, the past 3 were deliberately shot dead.

Gardai have been killed in a greater number then Gardai kill. The number of deliberate killings is equal. How the **** can anyone claim either race or trigger happiness is involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Did he attack someone with a knife? Tell us more about what happened during the attack will you?

Says here he threatened staff. Did he threaten them of attack them? Who should I believe, some randomer on boards.ie or RTE?

You say the Gardai used "a graduated approach"? Can you give us some details on the graduated they used?

Are you defending a thug that brazenly brandishes a deadly weapon?

Even just the threat can ruin a persons life.

Knives can kill and many die at the hands of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Collie D wrote: »
    Guy waves knife at Guards = guy gets shot.

Guy doesn’t wave knife at Guards = guy doesn’t get shot.

Are either of these statements false in your opinion?

Because in mine this is what it all comes down to. Completely agenda free.

Must be lovely to have such a simplistic world view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

This will be my last post as I will get banned for not agreeing with the mass,
    But I ask you to consider this, read through the absolute hatred in this thread, it’s not directed at this one man, it’s now all of them all the blacks and all Nigerians all immigrants, ask yourself why.
    Good day

But I ask you to consider this, read through the absolute hatred in this thread, it’s not directed at this one man, it’s now all of them all the blacks and all Nigerians all immigrants, ask yourself why.
    Good day

Guarantee she'll be back in an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Yeah have a good day!

The real hate crime was poor Wayne the GAY manager who got slashed up.
    But you keep on imagining what ever you like mate.
    Snowflake generation in a nutshell.

• Advertisement

What do you suggest give them hugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Can I just point out that in the past 20 years;

6 people have been shot dead by Gardai.

6 people that were shot dead, were armed and actively involved I'm endangering lives.

5 of those were white Irish. Thats right, this is the first non white, non Irish person!

16 Gardai have given their lives in the line of duty

Of those 16, 6 were intentionally killed by criminals that the Gardai were attempting to stop.

Of those 6, the past 3 were deliberately shot dead.

Gardai have been killed in a greater number then Gardai kill. The number of deliberate killings is equal. How the **** can anyone claim either race or trigger happiness is involved?

Because facts don't matter. It's exactly why the BLM movement was also completely false.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I don’t see any other reason for this guy being shot. Have you an alternative view you’d like to share?

Guarantee she hasn't read the thread.

Good day

Just shows how uneducated you are on the subject.

You threw the race card many times with nothing to back it up including an attack on me stating racism.

Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

The family or neighbours might have actually been recording too. Such a huge presence outside the house with garda cars, shouting etc . I guarantee that there is a closer video of the incident that will surface eventually. Someone else has footage.

Sometimes I find it useful to look at the narrative from those seeking justice. In the instances in America the video footage of the incidents was widely circulated in mainstream media and social media to push the BLM movement and for the main rightly so.

For this standoff the friends and family of the deceased seem to want any video footage NOT to be shared around. I can understand it might be very difficult to see it popping up everywhere but if they wanted real justice for the deceased like in America a video of the incident is the way to push it. Feels to me like they believe the video's does not do the deceased any favours. I'd imagine the footage from the shop and post office again will not be favourable. This along with this GoFundMe page that seems to be all over Twitter makes their motives very questionable to me.

Lastly. How people can be interviewed and say the deceased wouldn't hurt a fly and not be challenged on it by the person conducting the interview is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭obi604

Collie D wrote: »
    Interesting question. You would hope the same rule applies for everyone and the priest insists on it and is listened to. On the other hand, if there is a large gathering could be a difficult decision for Guards. Nobody wants to see heavy handedness at a funeral and they won’t want to be seen to inflame anything.

What is the religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Great. Someone with some FACTs.

Says here he threatened staff. Did he threaten them or attack them? Who should I believe, some randomer on boards.ie or RTE?

This man was holding a weapon and threatening to use it. He was not unarmed and saying he would use a weapon at some point in the future. There are reports that a security guard suffered wounds from this weapon which supports the use of the word attack.

As for the graduated approach by the Gardai, they spoke to him, he didn't back down. The pepper sprayed him, he didn't back down. The tasered him, he didn't back down. Is this in dispute?

As for RTE, their reporting of this incident has been anything but accurate so far.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Good day

You're going..? Praise Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The second coming of Jesus, hallelujah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement