Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to VPN a virgin connection ?

• 30-12-2020 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

For my own reasons, i would like to use my paid VPN connection for my whole house connection I currently have a virgin box and my VPN connection is installed on some of my relevant devices, but I would like to have the VPN on the incoming connection to do them all.

So any device in the house will see and show a UK IP address. I was thinking of getting a router with VPN onboard, but am not sure if it will work connecting to Virgin Fibre or if kept in series, will still show the Virgin IP address.

I presently have Virgin in modem mode, wired to an ASUS router which provides my wifi.

Is there a simple way of doing this?

Hope this makes sense.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The last few VM modems all supported modem only/bridge mode, making any router you add the public interface and holder of your public facing IP address. So a VPN capable router should work okay. Make sure your particular VM modem has this option before paying out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Spear wrote: »
    The last few VM modems all supported modem only/bridge mode, making any router you add the public interface and holder of your public facing IP address. So a VPN capable router should work okay. Make sure your particular VM modem has this option before paying out though.

I have the plain white virgin modem with 500 meg BB. I want all devices in the house to show my preferred IP address (paid for)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have the plain white virgin modem with 500 meg BB. I want all devices in the house to show my preferred IP address (paid for)

If that's the Compal made Hub 3.0, then yes, it does have bridge mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I presently have Virgin in modem mode, wired to an ASUS router which provides my wifi.

Connect the Asus to an IPSEC VPN, done.

ED E wrote: »
    Connect the Asus to an IPSEC VPN, done.

I dont know what that is, did a google but it is a bit beyond me. It appears to need software loaded onboard, but that is not available for some devices like televisions. Had another idea. If I reinstate the virgin superhub 3 to router mode, and have the ASUS as an access point. Wondering can I get the windscribe VPN set up on the virgin router and connect the relevant devices to that ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I dont know what that is, did a google but it is a bit beyond me. It appears to need software loaded onboard, but that is not available for some devices like televisions. Had another idea. If I reinstate the virgin superhub 3 to router mode, and have the ASUS as an access point. Wondering can I get the windscribe VPN set up on the virgin router and connect the relevant devices to that ??

Which ASUS router do you have? It should be possible to set up a VPN connection directly on the router which will mean that all internal devices route through it.

Which ASUS router do you have? It should be possible to set up a VPN connection directly on the router which will mean that all internal devices route through it.

ASUS RT-AC57U
    As far as I can see, it does not take a VPN

https://www.asus.com/ie/Networking/RT-AC57U/

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

ASUS RT-AC57U

something like this between the asus & the modem would work (https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNET-GL-MT300N-V2-Repeater-300Mbps-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W?ref_=ast_sto_dp)

what vpn provider you going with?

something like this between the asus & the modem would work (https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNET-GL-MT300N-V2-Repeater-300Mbps-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W?ref_=ast_sto_dp)

what vpn provider you going with?

I have a vpn subscription with windscribe, allows me access to local news from a geographical area of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

I have a vpn subscription with windscribe, allows me access to local news from a geographical area of interest.

yea - they say they support 'Connect via IKEv2, OpenVPN UDP, TCP or Stealth on a wide range of ports' so the router i linked would work via openvpn. so the asus WAN port connects to the 'vpn-router' LAN port, and the virgin modem connects to the vpn-router WAN port - you then setup the vpn-router to use windscribe (using the details the company provides for openvpn)

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. Have ordered it now and will see how we get on. It is interesting to see how amazon handles the brexit. I see a charge on the breakdown of the total. Lets see how it plays out.

Bikerman

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

ASUS RT-AC57U

Have you looked at openwrt ?? Depending on the specific hardware version you have, openwrt might support openvpn onboard

No I haven't. I have ordered that gadget mentioned above. Will try that.

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Atari1200xl

As far as I'm aware Virgin Media are hostile to VPN connections if you use them all the time they will write to you and threaten disconnection.
    It's in there TOS and has happened to a few friends of mine so heads up.

VM don't care about VPN usage. They don't send warnings or threats, they only refuse to provide any support for their usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

^ Our overlord yet lives, who knew!

/OT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As far as I'm aware Virgin Media are hostile to VPN connections if you use them all the time they will write to you and threaten disconnection.
    It's in there TOS and has happened to a few friends of mine so heads up.

That is utter rubbish. I can't believe you actually registered just to post that!!

For the question asked, and irrelevant if it is M or another ISP, I have a second wifi router on my home network. It is set to VPN all connections to the UK. I get full whack on my primary connection and no issues with IPTV blocks when connected to the secondary.

Advertisement