Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving licence renewal, eyesight and covid?

2»

Comments

Esel wrote: »
    You have to hand in your old licence. You will need to go to a Garda station, fill and sign a form and have your signature witnessed by a Garda. You need this form to renew when you can't surrender your old licence.

I didn't have to hand in my old licence when I renewed mine nor was my daughter asked to surrender her old permit when renewing online.

I would think its not possible now anyway, during the pandemic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When I got the new plastic licence a number of years ago they took my old paper one. Maybe the procedure has changed since.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I'd say it's just part of a box-ticking exercise.

Question No. 2 "Have you got your old licence please ?"

Most people will have it and hand it over.

If you tell them " No , I lost it , my wife ate it," etc., they will move on to a request for photo ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just out of ndls there gave me my old license back very straightforward really.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jon_459

My license expired in November. I don't have a PSC so I went online and booked an appointment - earliest I could get was January 8th.

I then check earlier this week and see a notice that, if I'm not classified as an essential worker and I have an appointment within the next 6 weeks, I should cancel it to free up the slot.

So I cancelled it. There's no information available now on when I can renew it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Jon_459 wrote: »
    My license expired in November. I don't have a PSC so I went online and booked an appointment - earliest I could get was January 8th.

I then check earlier this week and see a notice that, if I'm not classified as an essential worker and I have an appointment within the next 6 weeks, I should cancel it to free up the slot.

So I cancelled it. There's no information available now on when I can renew it

Check with your insurance if you’re covered in this situation. They said first that my wife wasn’t, then said she was covered until Feb 1st when it would be reviewed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lbucko

My licence is up next week, i need a medical cert as a T1D, usually a formality but can't get it now as my GP is not seeing people for driving licence medicals.
    I can do the whole online thing no problem but have to upload the medical which I now can't get. I've been trying to contact the NDLS via email and no responses also their phone number doesn't connect at all.
    Has anyone had anything similar or know how to get in contact with anybody in NDLS?

Update in case it helps anyone: Realised that if called the number repetitively I'd eventually get through, twice it disconnected after I selected option 4, went for option 6, waited 40 mins to get to position 1 in the queue and then it disconnected. Tried again and got through after another 40 mins. They mentioned that loads of people in similar predicaments but it's at the discretion of the doctors whether they see you or not. Their advice is not to drive with no licence as you wouldn't be covered for insurance purposes, but maybe this depends on individual insurers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rightmove

Local garda station has no renewal forms and I have no printer to print it out. Can I fill it in at the centre on the day. Presume they have forms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trying to renew online

Says account verification failed, although I follow the steps

Typical Irish website. Never seen one to work right yet

''Enter PPS NO''

Entered

Computer says No

Does site work on a Saturday

• Advertisement
Advertisement