Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government flip flops / school closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭ngunners

amacca wrote: »
    Could be kite flying? Doesn't seem well thought out to me at this juncture, will be interesting listening to the majority illogical loons on Joooooe Duffffy this afternoon.

Or could be Norma trying to save face. So she can say at least she tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

ngunners wrote: »
    Or could be Norma trying to save face. So she can say at least she tried.

That horse has bolted imo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

amacca wrote: »
    Could be kite flying? Doesn't seem well thought out to me at this juncture, will be interesting listening to the majority illogical loons on Joooooe Duffffy this afternoon.

Doubt it’s kite flying as the meeting is this afternoon
    What’s happens if a LC teacher calls in sick on a given morning ?
    S and S Rota would normally be used
    So I would assume all teachers are going to be asked to work from the school for their entire TT

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

km79 wrote: »
    Ridiculous
    3 days a week
    Which 3?
    What happens if they have non exam subjects on 3 of the 5 days ? So all timetables have to be rearranged
    Attendance will be 50% at most. The rest will be on Joe Duffy citing (quite rightly ) safety concerns
    A mess. A right bloody mess. I hope it is shot down

As usual a half baked idea that hasn't been thought through. How many of them will actually come in? Are we supposed to provide in class and online lessons simultaneously? Are we supposed to teach the other years online?

We had some training on Teams in November and it was a shambles. Teachers sitting in their classrooms all on a Teams call at the same time. The school wifi couldn't handle it.

Not to mind teachers with kids. Even if creches are open what do they do with their primary school age kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Doubt it’s kite flying as the meeting is this afternoon
    What’s happens if a LC teacher calls in sick on a given morning ?
    S and S Rota would normally be used
    So I would assume all teachers are going to be asked to work from the school for their entire TT

Ya, it wouldn't be practical to do anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Will be discussed on Radio 1 news now.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

I believe the idea of bringing LC students back is a good one, and again it shows that the government are taking a nuanced rather than a blanket-based approach. The current cohort of LC students have been disrupted most by this pandemic - they lost months last year, which in my view is critical. And if we have a blanket school closure, they lose even more.

I expect the government will go in this direction, and I believe it is right and just.

it shows that the government are taking a nuanced rather than a blanket-based approach.

Which I imagine is the political reasoning for it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

shesty wrote: »
    I think this era ended back in early August sometime.March to August.....5 months....they had to sort their s&%t out.A good PM company could have sorted out the basics, it is absolutely not rocket science - as we have seen simply apply a little common sense, and a solution can be found for 99% of the problems.The head in the sand approach is beyond infuriating.The same applies to the HSE by the way.And we are all paying for the ineptness, students, parents and teachers.It is just not good enough.My best recommendation would be to pester your local TDs, as either a parent, teacher or student.Frankly, OAPs did that back in April when asked to cocoon - I think it's time the rest of us started to take that approach and make our voices heard, because nothing will change if we don't.

the situation with the schools has infuriated me

complete head in the sand

It seems like our many politicians and senior public servants believed that a firm commitment to keep schools open would prove to be sufficient to keep schools open

nothing has been done in 10 f**king months to provide something somewhere in the middle between fully open or fully closed

It's an abject failure of leadership, thinking, policy making and foresight..

We are so poorly served.

And we pay handsomely for it.

I agree that we need to make our voices heard.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I believe the idea of bringing LC students back is a good one, and again it shows that the government are taking a nuanced rather than a blanket-based approach. The current cohort of LC students have been disrupted most by this pandemic - they lost months last year, which in my view is critical. And if we have a blanket school closure, they lose even more.

I expect the government will go in this direction, and I believe it is right and just.

Everyone would agree with the sentiments of trying to educate LC as a priority but nowhere do you set out how it would work?
    Two major problems
    1) teachers have kids too. Where do their kids go? Particularly younger kids. While parents teaching?
    2) Many kids won't go in. What do you do then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

They may aswell bring in the LCs five days a week.

Norma wont admit defeat to a pandemic. Its clearly going against nphet wanting everyone to stay at home

There is a lot of rubbish spouted about students not having access to online platforms.

99.9999% will have access to a smartphone. Nothing more is needed to keep going apart from MOTIVATION.

And before anyone throws lazy teacher at me, I contacted the union first thing Monday morning asking them to push for remote learning from today, not an "extended" holiday until January 11th as Norma was spinning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They may aswell bring in the LCs five days a week.

Norma wont admit defeat to a pandemic. Its clearly going against nphet wanting everyone to stay at home

There is a lot of rubbish spouted about students not having access to online platforms.

99.9999% will have access to a smartphone. Nothing more is needed to keep going apart from MOTIVATION.

And before anyone throws lazy teacher at me, I contacted the union first thing Monday morning asking them to push for remote learning from today, not an "extended" holiday until January 11th as Norma was spinning it.

is that a joke?

Bobtheman wrote: »

/QUOTE]

To be fair, there are plenty of people who come and go as they please under normal circumstances and diddley squat happens. It'll be no different this time.

I can imagine sitting in a room with five students next week.

Rosita wrote: »

/QUOTE]

To be fair, there are plenty of people who come and go as they please under normal circumstances and diddley squat happens. It'll be no different this time.

I can imagine sitting in a room with five students next week.

But if you don't have childcare? What then?

Everyone would agree with the sentiments of trying to educate LC as a priority but nowhere do you set out how it would work?
    Two major problems
    1) teachers have kids too. Where do their kids go? Particularly younger kids. While parents teaching?
    3. Why only 3 days ? If it’s safe then the full 5 days and follow normal TT!
    4. Are all staff going to be instructed by the DEPT that they must be in school for their entire timetable so that that can cover absent colleagues if they are are part of S and S ?
    5 . Is contact tracing going to be in operation ?
    6. Will students and staff with symptoms actually get tested ?
    7. Will the 40% cut in Covid cleaning grant be reversed if school buildings will now be open ?

Obviously if my childminder is open and I'm requested to go in I will but I ain't doing online plus classroom teaching. Not practical. In terms of sixth years.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

What's right and just is put safety of pupils, teachers and staff first.
    This year's leaving cert year are so far behind on curriculum, trying to learn in freezing classrooms with bloody surgical masks on 8 hours a day, makes last year's class look utopian in comparison.
    Mehole and Norma Batty need to reign back on shoving a traditional leaving cert policy down the necks of already stressed out students

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It has to be a dummy run to make it look like she's trying to sort things, and then the big bad unions veto it?

How many students and teachers will be moving about every day when we're being told STAY HOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

It has to be a dummy run to make it look like she's trying to sort things, and then the big bad unions veto it?

How many students and teachers will be moving about every day when we're being told STAY HOME.

Union person on the radio saying they've heard nothing on this only what's been in the media, so it looks like a last face-saving tactic by Foley alright when it got to the media before her beloved "stakeholders".

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

This is a disgrace

If they want to make it a runner then delay a week. Talk to the unions. Talk to childcare sector. Talk to parents organisation.
    The majority of kids will engage online so perhaps they would be better off trying to figure ways for the sizeable minority who won't.
    Thus they might be trying to solve the wrong problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

This craziness of bringing LCs in has to be one of the most ludicrous suggestions! We are being constantly reminded and warned at the unprecedented level of numbers and out of control community transmission and how we're back to March levels of lockdown, yet they're proposing to have potentially contagious people moving about and mixing, not to mention the enormous logistical headache it would be on everyone. Absolutely absurd!

No body wants to be back into a March style lockdown but it's probably the best chance we have of getting the numbers down and getting some semblance of normality back. And that includes putting education back online. Not perfect, not ideal, some teachers will do better than others, some schools will do better than others and some students will engage more than others but so be it. We'll survive.

This constant trying to shove a square plug into a round hole that the DES has carried on with since the start of this is only adding to the anxiety. Let's just get online and get on with it and do the best we can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Did she talk to ANYONE first? Because three days in etc is honestly the most mental way to run it I've ever heard of. You would swear that she has never set foot in a school

If you really want the sixth years getting some face to face then do half in half out for the two weeks. Numbers low with only half students in, normal timetable can be run, study for the alternate week which is no harm considering most of them have mocks coming

What she's just proposed would be insanely stressful to implement at short notice

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Im a SNA who works mostly with Leaving Cert Applied. The behaviour is atrocious and majority of them won't wear their masks properly.
    I don't feel safe going in with them.

Im a SNA who works mostly with Leaving Cert Applied. The behaviour is atrocious and majority of them won't wear their masks properly.
    I don't feel safe going in with them.

And they would no doubt be categorised as our "vulnerable" students. How often is that word code for violent and anti-social?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Everyone here, teacher or SNA, has to do what is right for them. We have clearly been abandoned here. The long campaign of desensitising public opinion to the health, safety and even lives of teachers has got us to this point.

This is insane. Personally, I will be going to my GP and discussing the issue of my own health, physical and mental. I can only recommend that others do the same. There is that moment in a disaster movie when it's everyone for themselves. This is it. Do what is right for you and stand by your decision to do so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

BOM has a duty of care to employees. If it’s not safe for other age groups , it’s not safe for LC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

BOM has a duty of care to employees. If it’s not safe for other age groups , it’s not safe for LC.

Yes but sadly BOMs have been overruled on their decisions to close in recent weeks. I think we're in that space here too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement