Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government flip flops / school closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

BOM has a duty of care to employees. If it’s not safe for other age groups , it’s not safe for LC.

Look at all the BOMs that have been overruled in the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

BOM has a duty of care to employees. If it’s not safe for other age groups , it’s not safe for LC.

Can that stack up if special schools and special classes are expected to operate? I really feel that special ed is being thrown to the wolves for political capital - smaller no’s yes but higher rates of transmission a/ c to John Boyle , much higher level of needs including care needs and little to no sd depending on context.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

linguist wrote: »
    Yes but sadly BOMs have been overruled on their decisions to close in recent weeks. I think we're in that space here too.

Imagine if the area managers of the local supermarkets made such a decision for their staff...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Can that stack up if special schools and special classes are expected to operate? I really feel that special ed is being thrown to the wolves for political capital - smaller no’s yes but higher rates of transmission a/ c to John Boyle , much higher level of needs including care needs and little to no sd depending on context.

Out of all schools; post primary, primary and special schools - special schools have the highest rates of positivity, with multiple schools having to close before Christmas due to Covid. Many SET teachers and SNA' s did not receive the additional PPE gear they were supposed to when we returned to schools in September. It's will definitely be done to appease the lobby groups, and look like they kept schools open, but what is more infuriating is that if the government had listened and acted on the advice of NPHET before Christmas, we might not have been in this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

But the government has already countered this in advance by insisting schools are "safe" and that the "closure" is only to reduce circulation of people.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Rosita wrote: »
    But the government has already countered this in advance by insisting schools are "safe" and that the "closure" is only to reduce circulation of people.

I think we have moved beyond the above. They no longer claim this. I'm not prone to disregarding health advice but I strongly believe it will eventually come out that schools were not safe.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    They no longer claim this.

I wasn't aware they had recanted on this. That is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Rosita wrote: »
    I wasn't aware they had recanted on this. That is significant.

The introduction of a new strain that acts differently to the one upon which previous advice was given will naturally mean a rethink.

We may see schools closed and lockdowns into March - the numbers are reaching there worst ever in hospitals so its safe to assume that quicker spreading virus and worse numbers may equal 12 week lockdown.

Thats only logic based on whats gone before. Rolling lockdown based on numbers maybe?

Not sure they have actually classed schools unsafe - I assume they are still looking at the fact the risk to certain age groups is low even if they get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

As usual a half baked idea that hasn't been thought through. How many of them will actually come in? Are we supposed to provide in class and online lessons simultaneously? Are we supposed to teach the other years online?

We had some training on Teams in November and it was a shambles. Teachers sitting in their classrooms all on a Teams call at the same time. The school wifi couldn't handle it.

Not to mind teachers with kids. Even if creches are open what do they do with their primary school age kids?

I'm reminded of Einstein's quote "Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I'm reminded of Einstein's quote "Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution!

Brilliant - I must steal that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Leaving certs in 3 days a week
    I’m lost for words
    She found a novel way to create an unholy mess
    And without a doubt this will be reversed at some point too

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Warbeastrior

km79 wrote:
    Leaving certs in 3 days a week I’m lost for words She found a novel way to create an unholy mess And without a doubt this will be reversed at some point too

It's baffling. Who's actually even calling for this.

Which is a clever sounding way of avoiding an answer for every question.

Can any teacher on here let me know which 3 days are COVID free, that way I can go out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

So the new strain of the virus doesn't recognise the school gate like the original strain but does recognise it three days of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Why is remote teaching acceptable for the rest of the school years .....but leaving cert students aren't capable of learning online for this period? and why are schools considered unsafe for other years but not leaving cert students???

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

What an absolute shambles this is turning out to be? So LCs are ok to turn up to schools for 3 days and allow for the mixing of a large number of families yet they are telling us to cut our contacts to zero. Then add a pool of teachers into the mix who are commuting to and from the school for ONE lesson. What happens if I have a 1st Year class timetabled directly after the LC class in the school building? Do I stay in the school, risking further exposure to the virus and find a quiet corner to continue online teaching and learning and could be there all day depending on the timetable?? Stay at home and work from home, meet nobody and restrict movement EXCEPT for 3 days a week? What a year to not have a LC Class!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

If they said Leaving certs only, five days a week id have more respect for thrm than this sham of 3 days a week.
    This is bananas.
    I have never before contacted a TD for anything, but i will tonight. Norma really lives in another dimension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

LW2018 wrote: »
    What an absolute shambles this is turning out to be? So LCs are ok to turn up to schools for 3 days and allow for the mixing of a large number of families yet they are telling us to cut our contacts to zero. Then add a pool of teachers into the mix who are commuting to and from the school for ONE lesson. What happens if I have a 1st Year class timetabled directly after the LC class in the school building? Do I stay in the school, risking further exposure to the virus and find a quiet corner to continue online teaching and learning and could be there all day depending on the timetable?? Stay at home and work from home, meet nobody and restrict movement EXCEPT for 3 days a week? What a year to not have a LC Class!!!

I’m assuming all timetables will have to be redone to ensure they get their six hours a day whilst in.

Good thing they’ve given schools two days to do it.

Will teachers have to teach online from school now? I cant imagine you will be darting back and forth between home and school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

So the new strain of the virus doesn't recognise the school gate like the original strain but does recognise it three days of the week.

Have a substantial meal before you go through the magic door and you'll be grand.

Why is remote teaching acceptable for the rest of the school years .....but leaving cert students aren't capable of learning online for this period? and why are schools considered unsafe for other years but not leaving cert students???
    LW2018 wrote: »

Online learning hasn't actually been mentioned at all today in the media reports. It will be interesting to see if we are only expected to teach LCs this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Time for the Unions to earn their crust

• Registered Users Posts: 10 March2323

While I do feel sorry for Leaving Certs I think Norma's plan is beyond belief. We see our neighbouring countries cancelling exams and making long term plans, while in Ireland we are clutching at straws and making last minute stabs at the Leaving Cert.
    There are other ways, Leaving Certs could get more choices on exam papers, the Leaving could be postponed for a month for now..until we see if the cases drop. Opening schools three days a week is ludicrous and surely we all want an end to this saga. The government now seems to be taking every step possible, testing etc at airports..why would you have large classes of Leaving Certs and their teachers in classrooms in very close proximity? Hopefully, Nphet will discourage such an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

If they said Leaving certs only, five days a week id have more respect for thrm than this sham of 3 days a week.
    This is bananas.
    I have never before contacted a TD for anything, but i will tonight. Norma really lives in another dimension.

This shows the problem with Irish politicians. Norma Foley completely out of her depth at this level. A school teacher making decisions on a national level. A 100% parish pump politician, suitable for medical cards and getting potholes filled

March2323 wrote: »
    While I do feel sorry for Leaving Certs I think Norma's plan is beyond belief. We see our neighbouring countries cancelling exams and making long term plans, while in Ireland we are clutching at straws and making last minute stabs at the Leaving Cert.
    There are other ways, Leaving Certs could get more choices on exam papers, the Leaving could be postponed for a month for now..until we see if the cases drop. Opening schools three days a week is ludicrous and surely we all want an end to this saga. The government now seems to be taking every step possible, testing etc at airports..why would you have large classes of Leaving Certs and their teachers in classrooms in very close proximity? Hopefully, Nphet will discourage such an idea.

It also says on the report on the Indo that essential workers can form bubbles with other households for childcare purposes.

That involves even more mixing of people.

The Leaving Cert could still go ahead in the summer. It's not even the priority right now. Things can be rearranged for exams. But it won't happen if they drag out the current shit show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 March2323

High achieving Leaving Certs are well capable of doing online work. They will soon hopefully be in college and will then have to enter the world of independent learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

I’m assuming all timetables will have to be redone to ensure they get their six hours a day whilst in.

Good thing they’ve given schools two days to do it.

To restructure already restructured timetables for the sake of 3 hours face-face teaching for most!! And then stuck in school because of the other classes that follow on your timetable. It just baffles me how they think it is acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

This is completely negligent.

I have sent ASTI an email to complain and I will be emailing my local TDs in the next few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

Schools are ‘safe places’ according to Norma

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement