Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government flip flops / school closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

amacca wrote: »
    I see they've not consulted unions either if tui to be believed.....deliberately trying to back unions into corner to provoke reaction and not have students in school but place blame elsewhere

Leadership people.....thats what this is.

This can't be true. Where have the TUI said this? They have to be lying

They told the unions what was happening after they had the decision made. In their minds this accounts for "consulting" with the unions.

The TUI told them they were opposed to it, but Norma still pressed ahead.

Why on earth would the govt consult a union in a matter of public health lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    This can't be true. Where have the TUI said this? They have to be lying

https://www.tui.ie/news/tui-expresses-serious-concerns-over-return-to-schools-next-week.14002.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Norma asked three times on drive time if they asked NPHET whether it was safe for leaving cert students to be moving and attending schools and she is dodging and weaving. Sarah McInerney losing the rag with her.

Asked why 3 over 5 days and isn't answering it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Hopontop

Norma asked three times on drive time if they asked NPHET whether it was safe for leaving cert students to be moving and attending schools and she is dodging and weaving. Sarah McInerney losing the rag with her.

Norma unsurprisingly coming across very poorly alright

• Advertisement

The generosity of the partners in education, such fcuking waffle from Norma.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

Hopontop wrote: »
    Norma unsurprisingly coming across very poorly alright

She's out of her depth and expendable, vlad the meholer had a replacement in mind when he announced her when/if it got to this

Sarah McInerney getting very annoyed with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

7,836 cases today, and close contacts not being tested. She is an absolute disgrace.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It's great to see the aTUI taking the lead. But will they take the next step and advise members not to attend? Where the fxxx is the Asti??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Where the fxxx is the Asti??

They released a statement. I would advise them caution. No one is happy, you can see that even in the corona thread on here, only the trolls are out, not the die hards who usually defend.

Late announcement on Friday to say we won't be engaging on premises, only online. End transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Bobtheman wrote: »
    It's great to see the aTUI taking the lead. But will they take the next step and advise members not to attend? Where the fxxx is the Asti??

I saw a statement fromINTO too. I'd imagine ASTI did same

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

I think it's only fair to receive a written statement from NPHET to the safety of students and teachers returning to the classrooms, as the government is responsible for our safety, they should be fully transparent on how seriously they adhere to that role.

ulsen wrote: »
    I think it's only fair to receive a written statement from NPHET to the safety of students and teachers returning to the classrooms, as the government is responsible for our safety, they should be fully transparent on how seriously they adhere to that role.

I think the three unions requested this on Monday at the meeting that NPHET didn't bother sending a representative to.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Panga

The below was posted on the ASTI twitter account today

Following a meeting with representatives from the DES today, the ASTI said the union has no access to medical data demonstrating that schools are sufficiently safe for students and teachers at this time, in the context of the new variant and the alarmingly high numbers ASTI @astiunion

January 6

If the DES and NPHET can not show us the data proving what they insist, that schools are safe, we have to assume that they are not.

Schools should stay closed until all school staff and students can be vaccinated.

Who is liable for forcing us to work in an unsafe environment, the BOM, the DES?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/Education_Ire/status/1346883564164571139

In summary
    Over to you schools and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 52,000 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Unions have been handed a very easy case to find holes in.
    Let’s sit back and watch them botch it yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Panga wrote: »
    The below was posted on the ASTI twitter account today

Following a meeting with representatives from the DES today, the ASTI said the union has no access to medical data demonstrating that schools are sufficiently safe for students and teachers at this time, in the context of the new variant and the alarmingly high numbers ASTI @astiunion

January 6

If the DES and NPHET can not show us the data proving what they insist, that schools are safe, we have to assume that they are not.

Schools should stay closed until all school staff and students can be vaccinated.

Who is liable for forcing us to work in an unsafe environment, the BOM, the DES?

A ludicrous expectation

Should all the hospitals close overnight and remain that way until all staff vaccinated?

Supermarkets?

GP clinics?

Seeing multiple notices and messages from principals of schools with special classes attached, that they won't be opening next week and will take the week to decide what happens going forward.

Be interesting to see how the DES responds to this instant revolt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

lawred2 wrote: »
    A ludicrous expectation

Should all the hospitals close overnight and remain that way until all staff vaccinated?

Supermarkets?

GP clinics?

Those are all essential.

Teaching 6th years in person is not essential as many other countries have shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 inbetweentea

Sorry on the GP front- many are doing video consultations/phone consultations as a primary means of interacting with patients (and justifiably so)

alroley wrote: »
    Those are all essential.

Teaching 6th years in person is not essential as many other countries have shown.

That's certainly a perspective to have.

I wouldn't agree with you that education of young people in educational settings wasn't essential.

A ludicrous expectation

Supermarkets?

GP clinics?

I passed my GP practice today while out for a walk. Massive sign on the door saying that there are no in person visits happening. Everything is over the phone or over zoom.

I passed my GP practice today while out for a walk. Massive sign on the door saying that there are no in person visits happening. Everything is over the phone or over zoom.

tis a fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I wouldn't agree with you that education of young people in educational settings wasn't essential.

Safety and preventing deaths comes before face to face education.

Let's see how many actually att me next week. I suspect that attendance will be relatively low.

See Mehole just admitted on the six one news that they haven't consulted with the crèche sector whether they will remain open for children of essential workers. Anecdotally I know of 5 who are closing for January.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Let's see how many actually att me next week. I suspect that attendance will be relatively low.

It will be a total disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A ludicrous expectation

Supermarkets?

GP clinics?

Word back from our Leaving Certs is that they are incredibly unhappy at the idea of going into school at the moment with so many cases and they would prefer to go fully online for the next few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement