Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government flip flops / school closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

And no doubt we will be expected to live stream from the classroom anyway for those LC who RIGHTLY decide not to come into school. I like the idea of Principal’s surveying the year first to gauge actual numbers.

Your post mirrorwall14 is just perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I'm happy in principle that LC students will be coming in, but the devil is in the detail. We don't know how space, etc is going to be arranged.

Space will be arranged as per usual I would expect. Bear in mind that the Minister is blue in the face from repeating that schools are safe. School is being confined to LCs only not because there would be any danger if the entire school was in but to keep "societal numbers" who are out and about down. This despite daily numbers increasing by around 1000% since schools were last open. So it's the same deal. If you're happy in principle then you're happy full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Do we actually think the unions will do anything this time around? I mean this is utter madness with current numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Do we actually think the unions will do anything this time around? I mean this is utter madness with current numbers

I don’t think so. Don’t like the look of the ASTI response at all. They probably won’t do much. Not sure about the rest.

Today’s decision still left so much uncertainty and I had been clinging to the phone for updates from Monday onwards. I’m not sure what the plan is for next week and our principal hasn’t a clue yet either to be fair to him. It’s the whole three days thing. Would be so much easier to handle if it was just five days regular timetable. What is the scientific basis for three days? Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Unions only need to stand back and watch the implosion.

• Advertisement

Seems like the "vocal" Leaving certs are looking to eat their cake and have it (to quote the Unabomber).

Option of predictive grades or sit down exam... Or both ...

Best quote I heard all day was from a friend when I asked him what his school are doing. He said he was not worrying about it and enjoying his extended 3 days. He'll check his email Monday morning at about 7. He's obviously no kids to account for but he Might be still right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I don’t think so. Don’t like the look of the ASTI response at all. They probably won’t do much. Not sure about the rest.

Today’s decision still left so much uncertainty and I had been clinging to the phone for updates from Monday onwards. I’m not sure what the plan is for next week and our principal hasn’t a clue yet either to be fair to him. It’s the whole three days thing. Would be so much easier to handle if it was just five days regular timetable. What is the scientific basis for three days? Weird.
    As well as ASTI there is only the TUI who are wishy washy at the best of times. Mumbling on national radio , Drive I think on rte 1, about time tabling difficulties, short notice, getting subs in and all that. No mention of the pandemic and people's health and the threat to life that the virus poses. The unions have spent the last 10 months cosying up to the department and government with no push back. More worried about their PR image and less about the health and safety of their members. No leadership and no wonder fewer teachers are joining a union.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Is the Asti ballot from last Oct still valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

As well as ASTI there is only the TUI who are wishy washy at the best of times. Mumbling on national radio , Drive I think on rte 1, about time tabling difficulties, short notice, getting subs in and all that. No mention of the pandemic and people's health and the threat to life that the virus poses. The unions have spent the last 10 months cosying up to the department and government with no push back. More worried about their PR image and less about the health and safety of their members. No leadership and no wonder fewer teachers are joining a union.

Well the three days flip flop, mish mash from Norma means that entire school timetables pretty much have to be torn up and a new one drawn in less than a week. I've never drawn up one but I've seen my dad trying to do one over the summer holidays and never ever want to have to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mod: Troll posts removed.

Please, do NOT engage with them, they will get bored and wander off to get their sad jollies elsewhere.

Working on the private forum which will do away with the issue for good.

**edit should have news soon re the private forum. It is being set up at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I will say that it’s lovely to see so many names that I’ve known in this forum for years that thanked my post last night. I know I and I’m guessing others still browse but no longer post much because the constant battling is utterly exhausting. It would be lovely to see the forum revive. An awful pity to need privacy to do it but perhaps a sign of the times

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Is the Asti ballot from last Oct still valid?

Yes......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I will say that it’s lovely to see so many names that I’ve known in this forum for years that thanked my post last night. I know I and I’m guessing others still browse but no longer post much because the constant battling is utterly exhausting. It would be lovely to see the forum revive. An awful pity to need privacy to do it but perhaps a sign of the times

I’m actually looking forward to it sad and all as that seems. Read your post this am in the other thread really sums up the prevailing mood. I think a lot of good committed teachers are becoming disillusioned and fed up with the constant blame game and lack of respect. From a primary perspective I think our special ed colleagues have been thrown under a bus for political kudo’s . Totall lack of respect for children and staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

It seems to be that the vast majority of LC students (and students with special needs) do not want to go in next week. Look out for reports of empty classrooms on Monday. In my area, the hospital is full, there's lots of infection throughout the community and there is a fear among people that hasn't been there since early March. This isn't about LC students being precious, they genuinely do not want to gather with others for at least a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

The General Secretary has asked me to forward to you TUI President Martin Marjoram’s interview on RTE this morning. The interview can be found at:

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21890849

Please share this link with members.

Received the above text from tui

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well the three days flip flop, mish mash from Norma means that entire school timetables pretty much have to be torn up and a new one drawn in less than a week. I've never drawn up one but I've seen my dad trying to do one over the summer holidays and never ever want to have to.

I don’t think it’s needed or practical to do a new timetable. If it’s supposed to be three days in and 2 days out along with online for the other students I don’t really see how you could change the entire timetable. Just stick to what is there.

It seems to be that the vast majority of LC students (and students with special needs) do not want to go in next week. Look out for reports of empty classrooms on Monday. In my area, the hospital is full, there's lots of infection throughout the community and there is a fear among people that hasn't been there since early March. This isn't about LC students being precious, they genuinely do not want to gather with others for at least a couple of weeks.

Students staying away from schools next week is probably the easiest but most powerful response to all of this.

I don’t think it’s needed or practical to do a new timetable. If it’s supposed to be three days in and 2 days out along with online for the other students I don’t really see how you could change the entire timetable. Just stick to what is there.

But what about religion and pe, etc? They are all across students timetables. Surely to maximise contact time you would cancel those classes?

Best thing unions could do is step back from this firework.
    You know yourself, people are only too happy to pin the whole disaster on teachers/unions, that's what Norma is hoping for, for her escape plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 inbetweentea

I've emailed both a local TD and the ASTI rep. Unfortunately I'm unsure what else to do here but it's very frustrating to have to sit back and wait. I'm surprised there is not even more outcry as I look at the news today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I've emailed both a local TD and the ASTI rep. Unfortunately I'm unsure what else to do here but it's very frustrating to have to sit back and wait. I'm surprised there is not even more outcry as I look at the news today.

The media don’t care in the slightest. Don’t expect them to advertise that we’re unhappy.

But what about religion and pe, etc? They are all across students timetables. Surely to maximise contact time you would cancel those classes?

I’m not sure rewriting an entire timetable to remove maybe a double PE and 2-3 religion classes is worth it. It’s easier to choose 3 days to maximise class contact. If there’s a day with both religion and PE make that one of the online days.

Students might also welcome a non exam class in their timetable.

You would also have issues in some schools where teachers are on job share and have specific days off or only work mornings etc.

I’m not sure rewriting an entire timetable to remove maybe a double PE and 2-3 religion classes is worth it. It’s easier to choose 3 days to maximise class contact. If there’s a day with both religion and PE make that one of the online days.

You would also have issues in some schools where teachers are on job share and have specific days off or only work mornings etc.

But in our school PE is across the five days? As is religion.

You’re also suggesting students will welcome a religion or PE class in the middle of all this? If they’re going in, they’re going in to maximise their time in school. Absolutely worthless sending them out to do PE and light candles in the prayer room (no disrespect).

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The media is on our side on this issue.
    They see this as badly thought out. Dangerous.
    If a teacher has no childcare or not enough then gaps will arise.
    I'm not sure what the Asti can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

But in our school PE is across the five days? As is religion.

You’re also suggesting students will welcome a religion or PE class in the middle of all this? If they’re going in, they’re going in to maximise their time in school. Absolutely worthless sending them out to do PE and light candles in the prayer room (no disrespect).

The whole thing is worthless. But yes, you make a good point. Another example of how little it all has been thought out.

You couldn't change the timetable because we are all going to be remotely teaching every other class (including the 6th years on those 2 unsafe school days that Corona himself isnt taking off)

I don't know about other schools, but in our place the principal starts the timetable in April and never has it ready before our first day back. Our SEN team, of which I am a part of, literally just finished assigning the last of our learning support allocations and resource classes.

Head of ASTI on radio a while ago saying they may take action by Sunday if it’s not reversed. Believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I think Monday will see the start of the socio economic divides. Just from reading the twitters of the world, the ordinary 5/8ths might stay home and strike, the disengaged definitely will, but anyone paying fees will be there ready to swot up to maximise their time in the building. It's how it is with everything else, it is how it will be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

Head of ASTI on radio a while ago saying they may take action by Sunday if it’s not reversed. Believe it when I see it.

Makes you long for the advance notice a Friday evening circular used give...timing on this doesnt leave a lot of wriggle room for anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

It's really something when Colm O'Rourke agrees with the ASTI. I think the best strategy for the ASTI now is to keep cool and just look for medical evidence. It is clear from listening to Darragh O'Brien just now that they are bluffing and clinging to the general advice given months ago.

I have a feeling (judging by Varadker's comments that businesses should prepare to be closed until the end of March) that politicians actually believe that we might not be back in school until after Easter. That this will go on much longer than us being acknowledged at the moment and this might be an attempt to save the LC and avoid the associated hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I have to say, I'd prefer block classes or I'll be in all day for the 3 days, with bad wifi and a completely lacking set up compared to what I have at home for remote learning. I also have to use public transport both ways. If this is going ahead, at the very least, I would like my timetbale condensed as much as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement