Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the unionists give up in frustration?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Sinn Fein is too toxic for most unionists.

SF are too toxic for a lot of people down south as well. Funnily enough as I mentioned on another thread, I am reading the Brian Hanley book at the moment on the troubles and the south, and it's interesting to see, how, after Bloody Sunday, the govt and media went after IRA in terms of coverage.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Fuk that

Unfortunately, you can't just say "fuk that". Unionists would have to be accommodated in any UI, but by definition, it would be impossible to accommodate a "unionist" in a UI unless that Ireland was part of the UK or the Commonwealth perhaps.
    Maybe a federal style set up to begin with in a UI might work. Who knows...
    It could be a great opportunity to shakeup the whole island in terms of how it is governed. Instead of being run from Dublin, perhaps it could be run from Dublin and Belfast (and Cork too). I don't know. Well maybe in terms of decentralisation it could be a good thing. You'd have Ulster looking out for the 6 counties and perhaps north Leinster, so Donegal leaning towards Belfast as a hub....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Granadino wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you can't just say "fuk that". Unionists would have to be accommodated in any UI, but by definition, it would be impossible to accommodate a "unionist" in a UI unless that Ireland was part of the UK or the Commonwealth perhaps.
    Maybe a federal style set up to begin with in a UI might work. Who knows...
    It could be a great opportunity to shakeup the whole island in terms of how it is governed. Instead of being run from Dublin, perhaps it could be run from Dublin and Belfast (and Cork too). I don't know. Well maybe in terms of decentralisation it could be a good thing. You'd have Ulster looking out for the 6 counties and perhaps north Leinster, so Donegal leaning towards Belfast as a hub....

Yet, for 100 years nationalists have been told to put up with the 'accomodation' given to them and to continue doing it.

An agreement was made that brought peace and Unionists and Nationalists signed up to it and agreed to go with the wishes of the majority, democratically expressed.
    You can't be saying now, 'ah but we meant this or that when we signed', or a 'majority' means something different.
    I have no doubt whatsoever accommodation will be made for Unionists and that is only right and they have nothing like what nationalists had to go through, to fear, from a UI, but bending over too far would be just creating problems down the road.

Yet, for 100 years nationalists have been told to put up with the 'accomodation' given to them and to continue doing it.

Fair point. It would just be a reversal then. Nationalists would be happy and unionists would not be. Is there even a solution. You can't expect them to migrate to Scotland etc in the event of a UI.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why do people think Unionists got a bum deal?

• Advertisement

Fair point. It would just be a reversal then. Nationalists would be happy and unionists would not be. Is there even a solution. You can't expect them to migrate to Scotland etc in the event of a UI.....?

Unionists won't be in a bigoted, sectarian state though that will go up in flames. Major difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Nothing wrong with Unionism, nothing at all, seeing as they're Unionists who believe in a connection (a Union) between this island and next door.

We can't defeat Unionism and they can't defeat us ergo we must all live together on this shared island of ours.

Good god. Listen to yourself.

Bambi wrote: »
    Why do people think Unionists got a bum deal?

Because apparently they didn't have EVERYTHING their own way. Them lousy Nationalists kept trying to be equal.

The weird Southern Partitionist revisionist fetishisation of Unionism is vomit inducing.

You'd swear the poor Unionist and Loyalist was put upon for having to share the place with everyone else. Poor craturs.

Unionists won't be in a bigoted, sectarian state though that will go up in flames. Major difference.

That's key but how do you reason with a loyalist whose postcode is suddenly Derry City, (Republic of) Ireland.

That's key but how do you reason with a loyalist whose postcode is suddenly Derry City, (Republic of) Ireland.

'The majority have made a decision about our future, are you a democrat or not?'

Same inferred question asked at any election or referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I don't want a united Ireland until it becomes absolutely necessary.
    I love heading up there for holidays and such, but they need to want unity themselves or no deal for me.
    I can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Feisar wrote: »
    Hahaha, Sammy The Stripper Wilson. I remember that from Scrap Saturday.

The Sunday World published photos of Sammy and a lady streaking in a field.
    Everybody in the free state ;) had a great laugh at his expense at the time.
    Although once seen, the photos cannot be unseen without therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I follow John Taylor on twitter, he is still one bitter man even now with one foot in the grave.

It will always be there even with the younger generation, take Jamie Bryson for instance, he never saw any bit of the troubles but is just as toxic as Taylor or Wilson.

I follow John Taylor on twitter, he is still one bitter man even now with one foot in the grave.

It will always be there even with the younger generation, take Jamie Bryson for instance, he never saw any bit of the troubles but is just as toxic as Taylor or Wilson.

He is a joke. He can't open his mouth without being ridiculed.

I don't want a united Ireland until it becomes absolutely necessary.
    I love heading up there for holidays and such, but they need to want unity themselves or no deal for me.
    I can live with that.

That's how it will start, with a border poll.

Have you ever read the GFA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Why would anyone vote for a 1 to 2% reunification tax increase. Fuk that and all the hassle it will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The Sunday World published photos of Sammy and a lady streaking in a field.
    Everybody in the free state ;) had a great laugh at his expense at the time.
    Although once seen, the photos cannot be unseen without therapy.

When Martin McGuinness was giving a speech on the first day of the power sharing executive he said that it was great to see everyone there but that he didn't recognize Sammy Wilson with his clothes on.

statesaver wrote: »
    Why would anyone vote for a 1 to 2% reunification tax increase. Fuk that and all the hassle it will bring.

Jesus that would cripple ya wouldn't it.

I'm sure you're one of those people that loves "small government"? Ammiright?

When the referendum on a UI comes all you have to do is vote No.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭del_c

statesaver wrote: »

We shovelled out 100bn on a bank bailout- you could build a ui for half of that. Money is not an impediment. Germans are still paying 5% solidarity tax 25 years later, not a whimper about it..,

• Registered Users Posts: 69,028 ✭✭✭✭L1011

del_c wrote: »
    Germans are still paying 5% solidarity tax 25 years later, not a whimper about it..,

Massively unpopular after a few years (particularly when it stopped being considered temporary), and now all but abolished.

https://www.dw.com/en/eastern-german-solidarity-tax-to-be-abolished-for-almost-all-taxpayers/a-51235971

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I don't think that a UI being financially viable is an argument. Certainly not a discussion worth wasting time over. The money is always there - it is the ideology that requires the most attention.

The big issue will be unionist intransigence to a UI. They simply will not be giving up the habits of 400 years to appease nationalist sentiment. There is simply too much hatred on both sides to let that happen seamlessly. Even regular posters who post here have a tone of retribution when considering the prerogative of the future of unionism.

The fact remains that anyone serious about actioning a UI will need to consider how the unionist population will fit into that possibility and how they can help unionists to facilitate that reality. It will not be easy and I doubt it is something achievable over a specific timeframe either. It will take generations and a multitude of reconciliation and cooperation from both republicans and unionists.

There are kids born last month on this island that are going to be brought up to sing GSTQ and be wary of Teiges down the town, it stinks, but it is a reality. You cannot wipe out a culture, cultures develop over time.

Fingers crossed the generations born in the 6 counties this year learn to manage their future and to learn from the mistakes their communities made in the past. The last thing they deserve is to grow up living with antagonization from their neighbours over bullshight cultural identities. Fingers crossed. People born in this country today deserve the respect of everyone who lives on this island, that starts with everyone respecting everyone else for starters. It is not much to ask and anyone who dreams of a full United Ireland will need to learn to respect unionists and their lifestyles.

Advertisement