Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tested Positive.. so what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

flazio wrote: »
    Question. If you get a positive test, is it just assumed that you're OK after 2 weeks or are you retested to make sure?

There is no retest once you've tested positive. Generally if you had symptoms you can stop self isolation 10 days after symptoms began. If you had no symptoms its 10 days from the day of the test.

More info is here.... https://bit.ly/3rXLwTJ

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

flazio wrote: »
    Question. If you get a positive test, is it just assumed that you're OK after 2 weeks or are you retested to make sure?

Think it's your own assumption at the moment. May be waiting a while for a test. If you've showed no symptoms for a few days you should be okay.

cjyid wrote: »
    Think it's your own assumption at the moment. May be waiting a while for a test. If you've showed no symptoms for a few days you should be okay.

Some symptoms such as loss of taste/smell and fatigue may stay with you for a longer period of time but no need to continue self isolation for this reason. All the information is on the HSE website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

HeyV wrote: »
    I haven’t been tested positive, but I just have a question if anyone had feelings like this...
    Back in early October one weekend I developed the most stabbing headaches in my temples. Sometimes it might be the left, sometimes the right. Would only last about 2-3 seconds at a time. Might be 5 minutes apart or anything up to an hour, but they were so bad they made me actually wince in discomfort or woke me up during the night repeatedly. This went on for about 5/6 days.
    My skin at the time felt slightly sunburnt in places, if that makes sense. I’d be roasting in bed but the minute I got up to go to the bathroom, I’d be shivering. My temp was 38.8 on the worst night.
    I suspect I had it but I don’t know.

So during this time you never considered it might be covid and arranged a test? Then suddenly 12 weeks later you start to suspect? Is this what you’re saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

When you can stop self-isolating

Most people can stop self-isolating when both of these apply:

you have had no fever for 5 days
    it has been 10 days since you first developed symptoms

I tested positive last wed no syptoms so out of isolation tomorrow according to HSE above

• Advertisement

agoodpunt wrote: »
    When you can stop self-isolating

you have had no fever for 5 days
    it has been 10 days since you first developed symptoms

I tested positive last wed no syptoms so out of isolation tomorrow according to HSE above

You tested positive last Wednesday, as in 30th December? If you had no symptoms then your 10 days started on that day bringing you up to the 8th.

"If you tested positive because you are a close contact, you may have no symptoms. In this case, you can stop self-isolating 10 days from the date of your test."

Apologies if I have misunderstood you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Tested positive myself and home now in isolation. Pissing out my arse and sweating a tonne so keeping plenty of water down.

Beverly Hills, California

Skuxx wrote: »
    You tested positive last Wednesday, as in 30th December? If you had no symptoms then your 10 days started on that day bringing you up to the 8th.

"If you tested positive because you are a close contact, you may have no symptoms. In this case, you can stop self-isolating 10 days from the date of your test."

Apologies if I have misunderstood you

HSE say 5 days if no fever

My 8 am wed test was a routine 72 hour pre flight no symptoms then or now.
    Will call my GP to comfirm flying again on the 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

jarvis wrote: »
    So during this time you never considered it might be covid and arranged a test? Then suddenly 12 weeks later you start to suspect? Is this what you’re saying?

I did of course suspect it. I wasn’t in work at the time, I worked 40+ hours for weeks earlier in the year when other staff were off. I had more than a month off when this happened. I live alone, been getting groceries delivered etc. I was not mixing with anyone during this time. I wasn’t working, if I felt my breathing or health was effecting me I’d would’ve gone rang my doc

My understanding is its 10 days and if the last 5 are with no fever then you're good to go. Do check with your GP as I'm no expert but I'd be shocked if you could test positive and be out of isolation after 5 days!!

• Advertisement

If you suspect you must ring a health professional its for everybodies sake

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is the actual advice from the HSE

• you've had no fever for 5 days

(and)

• it has been 10 days since you first developed symptoms

If you tested positive because you are a close contact, you may have no symptoms. In this case, you can stop self-isolating 10 days from the date of your test.

You do not need to be tested again unless you develop symptoms in the future or become a close contact.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/self-isolation/when-you-can-stop-self-isolating.html

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Donkeygonads

My 10 days isolation finished this evening , developed symptoms on Christmas Eve, test on 26th, positive result on 27th .... thankfully symptoms were mild. Feel fine now . Have booked a private test at airport drive thru on wed morning just to prove to work colleagues I’m all clear !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

My 10 days isolation finished this evening , developed symptoms on Christmas Eve, test on 26th, positive result on 27th .... thankfully symptoms were mild. Feel fine now . Have booked a private test at airport drive thru on wed morning just to prove to work colleagues I’m all clear !!

If you're doing this without asking then that's very responsible and good of you

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I could be wrong but you may still test positive even if you are no longer infectious by getting a test so soon.l

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

nommm wrote: »
    I could be wrong but you may still test positive even if you are no longer infectious by getting a test so soon.l

Yes that’s my understanding too, especially with a PCR which will pick up fragments of dead virus. And it’s one of the reasons they don’t retest anymore.

OP you’d be better off getting a certified Antigen test to prove to colleagues you are no longer infectious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Tested positive myself and home now in isolation. Pissing out my arse and sweating a tonne so keeping plenty of water down.

Get well soon

If I'm remembering right it was you and YourDeadRight giving us the leaked early figures during the Summer

Do you mind saying what age category you're in or if you've underlying symptoms?

Either way; hope it leaves your system this week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

HeyV wrote: »
    I did of course suspect it. I wasn’t in work at the time, I worked 40+ hours for weeks earlier in the year when other staff were off. I had more than a month off when this happened. I live alone, been getting groceries delivered etc. I was not mixing with anyone during this time. I wasn’t working, if I felt my breathing or health was effecting me I’d would’ve gone rang my doc

If you were that much on your own, how did you pick it up?

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

10 days you will clear
    20 days if it's a bad infection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Eh it's a pandemic. What rock you living under .

I would assume they mean specifically as opposed to generally in his questioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Hey lads, last Saturday the 2nd I tested positive and my last day with symptoms was the 27th. When do you think I can go for the test again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭davehey79

Hey lads, last Saturday the 2nd I tested positive and my last day with symptoms was the 27th. When do you think I can go for the test again?

Taken from Post #122 above:

"Question. If you get a positive test, is it just assumed that you're OK after 2 weeks or are you retested to make sure?
    There is no retest once you've tested positive. Generally if you had symptoms you can stop self isolation 10 days after symptoms began. If you had no symptoms its 10 days from the day of the test.

More info is here.... https://bit.ly/3rXLwTJ "

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

nommm wrote: »

Contact tracing informed me that I will still test positive after a month from development of first symptoms. Don't know how accurate this is, but we still don't really know enough about this horrible virus.
    Wishing everyone who has it a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

Hi everyone, a friend of mine and his whole extended family have tested positive. I'm feeling a bit helpless at the moment cause I don't really know what I can do to help. I'm hoping someone here that has been through this could suggest somethings that would have made the time a bit easier? I did some searches but everything involves food or nice smelling things which isn't much use since they can't taste or smell at the moment

Preferable something that can be posted as they are at the other end of the country

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

rounders wrote: »
    Hi everyone, a friend of mine and his whole extended family have tested positive. I'm feeling a bit helpless at the moment cause I don't really know what I can do to help. I'm hoping someone here that has been through this could suggest somethings that would have made the time a bit easier? I did some searches but everything involves food or nice smelling things which isn't much use since they can't taste or smell at the moment

Preferable something that can be posted as they are at the other end of the country

Thanks

I'd probably ask if I could pick up a book or something for them.

They have to isolate for 2 weeks and may be stuck in a single room and be unable engage in any hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

I'd probably ask if I could pick up a book or something for them.

They have to isolate for 2 weeks and may be stuck in a single room and be unable engage in any hobbies.
    But if they’ve all tested positive in the same house then surely they just live as normal within the confines of their own property?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thanks

If they have good internet then Amazon Kids Fire tablets are great for younger kids and perhaps a kindle for one of the adults.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

Thanks

If you haven't done so, offer to do a food shop. (Or get the basics, and drop off) When I tried to do a food shop online all the slots were taken till Thursday. The local shop couldn't deliver, we had to track down someone to pick up a shop for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

We all tested positive and to make things worse the heat died the morning we got the 1st positive result! The Climote is shorting and tripping the electricity, obviously can't in good conscious get someone in to the house to fix it. Talk about compounding misery on top of sickness and misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

Thanks

Sorry, i missed the bit about the other end of the country!

Advertisement