Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tested Positive.. so what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Memory101

Wondering of anyone has had the following scenario and what the official advice was?

Both parents test positive, schoolgoing age child tests negative. Not possible for both parents to isolate fully as child needs to be cared for obviously. Therefore child continues to be potentially exposed for an unknown length of time until parents are no longer contagious. How is it determined when child can return to school given there is no definite date of last exposure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

My 10 days isolation finished this evening , developed symptoms on Christmas Eve, test on 26th, positive result on 27th .... thankfully symptoms were mild. Feel fine now . Have booked a private test at airport drive thru on wed morning just to prove to work colleagues I’m all clear !!

Please report back with your new results! I am the opposite, had symptoms but tested negative (but the rest of the family are positive, so am assuming its a false negative) - I plan on getting an anti body test in a week or two to know for sure.

Inquitus wrote: »
    We all tested positive and to make things worse the heat died the morning we got the 1st positive result! The Climote is shorting and tripping the electricity, obviously can't in good conscious get someone in to the house to fix it. Talk about compounding misery on top of sickness and misery.

It would be classified as essential works, but you would want to be very upfront with the repair folks on the phone. If you can find one who has had Covid already then that would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Memory101 wrote: »
    Wondering of anyone has had the following scenario and what the official advice was?

Both parents test positive, schoolgoing age child tests negative. Not possible for both parents to isolate fully as child needs to be cared for obviously. Therefore child continues to be potentially exposed for an unknown length of time until parents are no longer contagious. How is it determined when child can return to school given there is no definite date of last exposure?

This is just my read on it. The parents can move freely 10 days after test if they’re 5 days symptom free but the child would need to restrict for 14 days after last contact which could potentially be 10 days after the parents test date even if the parents are cleared to mix.

rounders wrote: »
    Hi everyone, a friend of mine and his whole extended family have tested positive. I'm feeling a bit helpless at the moment cause I don't really know what I can do to help. I'm hoping someone here that has been through this could suggest somethings that would have made the time a bit easier? I did some searches but everything involves food or nice smelling things which isn't much use since they can't taste or smell at the moment

Preferable something that can be posted as they are at the other end of the country

Thanks

https://youtu.be/xTvd7oAEyhs

Thought this was a good video.

Sent on to a few covid positive friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

If I test positive, I can isolate for 10 days, and If I have no symptoms, I can return to the wild.

But the incubation period is 2-14 days, so timed right I might not even show symptoms for a day or 2 after exiting isolation, am I missing something or are we potentially sending people back out at their most infectious

If I test positive, I can isolate for 10 days, and If I have no symptoms, I can return to the wild.

But the incubation period is 2-14 days, so timed right I might not even show symptoms for a day or 2 after exiting isolation, am I missing something or are we potentially sending people back out at their most infectious

Thats why they distinguish between "close contact + test" v "symptoms + test". Which doesn't really cover the "random" test (like folks travelling)...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

jarvis wrote: »
    This is just my read on it. The parents can move freely 10 days after test if they’re 5 days symptom free but the child would need to restrict for 14 days after last contact which could potentially be 10 days after the parents test date even if the parents are cleared to mix.

We had first symptoms 27th. Kids weren't tested. I suspect one of the three had it and probably gave it to us. Tracer td us they are officially free to return to school on 11th. That won't be an issue me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

RioM wrote: »
    We had first symptoms 27th. Kids weren't tested. I suspect one of the three had it and probably gave it to us. Tracer td us they are officially free to return to school on 11th. That won't be an issue me thinks!

How are ye feeling now? Any lasting symptoms?

How are ye feeling now? Any lasting symptoms?

Still a little joint pain and tired, husband more tired as he got it worse. Sense of smell went on day 6 and still 90% gone. Overall it wasn't too bad.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know roughly how long the wait for contact tracing is at the moment?

Memory101 wrote: »
    Does anyone know roughly how long the wait for contact tracing is at the moment?

My husband and I got tested and results at the same time. He got a call 24 hrs after results. I didn't get the call for 40 hrs. On a different person's list.

RioM wrote: »
    My husband and I got tested and results at the same time. He got a call 24 hrs after results. I didn't get the call for 40 hrs. On a different person's list.

Got a call this morning, 20 hours after initial result. Pleasantly surprised with that given the workload at the moment.

jarvis wrote: »

Asked the contact tracer when they called this morning. The answer was the exposed child must stay off school for 17 days from when the last household member became symptomatic I.e. the 10 days of parents isolation and another 7 days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

Hi,
    Just looking for advice. So my wife got tested on Saturday as she was due to have our baby on Monday by section. The test came back positive which was a surprise as we haven't really left the house over Christmas. So we had the baby yesterday everything went fine. I couldn't be there which was hard but that was ok. Myself and 2 other kids in the house all feeling fine.
    How should we continue from here. Mammy and baby be home on Thursday.

larrya wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just looking for advice. So my wife got tested on Saturday as she was due to have our baby on Monday by section. The test came back positive which was a surprise as we haven't really left the house over Christmas. So we had the baby yesterday everything went fine. I couldn't be there which was hard but that was ok. Myself and 2 other kids in the house all feeling fine.

congratulations! delighted for you, great to hear some good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

larrya wrote: »
    Hi,

Congratulations, that's great news!

Tricky situation, maybe contact your GP for advice? Its definitely a unique situation! If your wife tested positive she was likely infectious before going to hospital and its great that the rest of you are feeling okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Queried wrote: »
    Congratulations, that's great news!

Tricky situation, maybe contact your GP for advice? Its definitely a unique situation! If your wife tested positive she was likely infectious before going to hospital and its great that the rest of you are feeling okay!

Not that unique it seems https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/meet-irelands-first-baby-of-2021-born-seconds-into-the-new-year-1058097.html .

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I just got a positive result text message. My partner had a light head cold a few days ago, no covid symptoms. I got it then on Sunday but lost my sense of taste and smell.

I had my test yesterday and got the results this evening. Apart from feeling tired and having a light head cold, I feel fine. I never would have rung the GP only for the lack of smell/taste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Galadriel wrote: »
    I just got a positive result text message. My partner had a light head cold a few days ago, no covid symptoms. I got it then on Sunday but lost my sense of taste and smell.

I had my test yesterday and got the results this evening. Apart from feeling tired and having a light head cold, I feel fine. I never would have rung the GP only for the lack of smell/taste.

I think Tony Holohan has said that any cold or flu symptoms now is unlikely to be anything else other than covid.

It's so scary how mild it can be in some people. Really hope nobody comes into work with a self diagnoses of just a "cold".

• Advertisement

I think Tony Holohan has said that any cold or flu symptoms now is unlikely to be anything else other than covid.

It's so scary how mild it can be in some people. Really hope nobody comes into work with a self diagnoses of just a "cold".

The advice in relation to symptoms changes so much but we work from home so we have no contacts to trace which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Galadriel wrote: »
    The advice in relation to symptoms changes so much but we work from home so we have no contacts to trace which is great.

Glad to hear you're doing well! Did your partner test positive too?

Queried wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're doing well! Did your partner test positive too?

My GP said they are not testing close contacts at the moment, as he is better now I suppose it doesn't really make any difference as we have to self-isolate anyway.

He can continue to work from home but he will check with his GP in the morning re getting tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

He did in his shíte did he?

Seriously?

A feckin' cold?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    He did in his shíte did he?

Seriously?

A feckin' cold?

I know, I didn't hear that either but I have a cold and I have Covid, it's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,529 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He mentioned flu-like symptoms, but then you are back to the overlap of symptoms with cold and flu eg runny nose, sneezing more common with colds.

'If you have flu-like symptoms, assume it's Covid and self-isolate', Holohan warns.

The most common set of symptoms include a fever, a cough, shortness of breath or breathing difficulties, or loss or change to your sense of smell or taste. However, Holohan said people may not experience these symptoms and still have the virus.
    He said if people have any flu-like symptoms, they should assume they have Covid-19.
    “If you have flu-like symptoms, or any of the symptoms that I’ve just mentioned there, you can pretty much accept that this is likely to be Covid, because we’re seeing very little of the other viruses that cause these kinds of symptoms at this time of the year."

https://www.thejournal.ie/flu-like-symptoms-covid-19-5316051-Jan2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sheddie2

Exactly this. I was effectively asympthomatic, never would have known I was positive other than I got a test as a close contact. Easy to see how this thing can spread like wildfire.

Awful thing to saw but there'e nearly a sense of relief now that I had it and the sympthoms are mild. Appreciate that there is no firm evidence relating to immunity post-Covid so I'm not sure why I feel relieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I woke up last Thursday with a dunged out head on me. Bad timing as the doc was closed etc. Got tested yesterday morning and waiting for results. Am still sick. Its like a bad cold with body and headaches. And dizziness. Constant tiredness.
    My wife lost her sense of smell and taste but has now fully recovered.
    If I am positive then I have no idea how I got it. Apart from walks in the park and grocery shopping we did not leave the house.

Sheddie2 wrote: »
    Exactly this. I was effectively asympthomatic, never would have known I was positive other than I got a test as a close contact. Easy to see how this thing can spread like wildfire.

Awful thing to saw but there'e nearly a sense of relief now that I had it and the sympthoms are mild. Appreciate that there is no firm evidence relating to immunity post-Covid so I'm not sure why I feel relieved!

Actually there is now: https://www.journalofinfection.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0163-4453%2820%2930781-7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Would appreciate a link to where you got this information, especially if he said cold like symptoms. When you say "you think", what does that generally mean, you know or you're just surmising.

Advertisement