Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tested Positive.. so what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭skeogh82

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Would appreciate a link to where you got this information, especially if he said cold like symptoms. When you say "you think", what does that generally mean, you know or you're just surmising.

https://www.thejournal.ie/flu-like-symptoms-covid-19-5316051-Jan2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sam Hain wrote:
    Would appreciate a link to where you got this information, especially if he said cold like symptoms. When you say "you think", what does that generally mean, you know or you're just surmising.

Ah shur ive a cold at the moment, with sinusitis, I some how seriously doubt I've covid, and I'm currently an indirect contact, two directs were showing signs, but are negative

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Actually many people who think they have the flu,don't have it
    A flu is quite nasty, dependent on strain.

Very true, and I've met so many people over the years who claim to have (the flu) when in actual fact they have symptoms of the common cold.

Covid does it's own thing, depending on the host!

So you might have mild cold like symptoms, or full blown C-19 serious flu type symptoms, which can totally floor you just like the flu, if not worse .....

Much worse.

I've had the flu twice in my life (I'm in my fifties now), and on both occasions I was bed ridden for a week, hardly able to get to the loo I was so weak & poorly. Covid 'can be' much worse.

My take on this Pandemic is that everybody reacts differently according to their own physiology.

Contracting Covid-19 is just like Russian Roulette.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sheddie2

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah shur ive a cold at the moment, with sinusitis, I some how seriously doubt I've covid, and I'm currently an indirect contact, two directs were showing signs, but are negative

Don't want to scare you but basically the symptoms that I had along with a bit of fatigue.

Sheddie2 wrote: »
    Don't want to scare you but basically the symptoms that I had along with a bit of fatigue.

im aware i could be positive, hence why im quarantining, but i regularly suffer with these issues, sinusitis is a very regular problem for me unfortunately, i also suffer with fatigue, so its all fairly normal for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,984 ✭✭✭dodzy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah shur ive a cold at the moment......
    I said the same myself 10 days ago. But tested positive. As did the OH.

dodzy wrote: »
    I said the same myself 10 days ago. But tested positive. As did the OH.

two direct contacts are negative, im an indirect, so who knows. we re over a week since the positives, no body else showing signs at the moment

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very true, and I've met so many people over the years who claim to have (the flu) when in actual fact they have symptoms of the common cold.

That's a very common misconception about influenza. It's not so dissimilar to covid in the range of symptoms(though the range is narrower), in that it depends on the person. I've never had the flu, even though I was exposed to it many times in my life. I've been asymptomatic or had very light symptoms that I would have passed off as a cold/winter bug. Around 20% of people with lab confirmed influenza are asymptomatic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

5% of been hospitalised??

LIE, LIE, LIE.

no its not

my partner works in a hospital

its 5 % of all cases end up in hospital

so of the for example 5000 cases today , 250 will end up in hospital with 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

no its not

my partner works in a hospital

its 5 % of all cases end up in hospital

so of the for example 5000 cases today , 250 will end up in hospital with 4 weeks

I'm no denier but the undisputed truth is not every case is caught. Simple as. So therefore even if your math was correct its against an incomplete data set.

I'm also shocked people are shocked that it can present like a bad head cold. This has been known for literally 8 months.

• Advertisement

So you might have mild cold like symptoms, or full blown C-19 serious flu type symptoms, which can totally floor you just like the flu, if not worse .....

Much worse.

I've had the flu twice in my life (I'm in my fifties now), and on both occasions I was bed ridden for a week, hardly able to get to the loo I was so weak & poorly. Covid 'can be' much worse.

My take on this Pandemic is that everybody reacts differently according to their own physiology.

Contracting Covid-19 is just like Russian Roulette.

I agree with you. Flu is a different beast entirely to a cold. I've had it numerous times in my life the worst being in 2018. I got it twice along with sinus and chest infection. Both times put me out of action for weeks and weeks. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

While I don't think Covid is just like the flu I do wonder if the physiology some of us have that cause susceptibility to such bad doses, would do the same with Covid. Are we more likely to have a severe infection regardless of viral load. So much we have yet to learn about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

28y/o: Covid positive, quite sick. Not feeling great at all. Feeling warm, headache, eye ache, shivering, stuffy nose, slight cough. Not great, not terrible. I was supposed to see my girlfriend for the first time since weeks before Christmas so I'm seriously bummed out about that.

You wouldn't want Covid even at my age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

28y/o: Covid positive, quite sick. Not feeling great at all. Feeling warm, headache, eye ache, shivering, stuffy nose, slight cough. Not great, not terrible. I was supposed to see my girlfriend for the first time since weeks before Christmas so I'm seriously bummed out about that.

Ensure to eat nutritious food, soups etc, no junk or alcohol. Plenty of rest/sleep. We took paracetamol 3 times a day, this was for the first variant back in February. In and around day 8ish of the infection, you should feel better but may come back a bit harder for another couple of days then clear up, although it will take a month or so to get back to 100%.
    Get well soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

Ensure to eat nutritious food, soups etc, no junk or alcohol. Plenty of rest/sleep. We took paracetamol 3 times a day, this was for the first variant back in February. In and around day 8ish of the infection, you should feel better but may come back a bit harder for another couple of days then clear up, although it will take a month or so to get back to 100%.
    Get well soon:)

Thank you, you're very kind! I am totally avoiding alcohol for sure. Taking lots of multivits, Vit D, Vit C+Zinc supplements and getting as much sleep as I can. I'm also being very serious about not laying on my back or slumping backward on the couch in an attempt to get it off my chest. Painkillers are a god send for the headaches/eye aches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Thanks for sharing and hope you feel better very soon. It's disappointing not being able to see your girlfriend but at least you know you've not passed it on to her and hopefully you will be reunited soon. Wishing you a very swift recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Strand1970

Similar to alot of posters here. Got a positive result today and honestly can't pin point where I got it from. I suspect alot of transmission coming from commonly touched surfaces like doors, touch screens and key pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

Strand1970 wrote: »
    Similar to alot of posters here. Got a positive result today and honestly can't pin point where I got it from. I suspect alot of transmission coming from commonly touched surfaces like doors, touch screens and key pads.

I too am tortured trying to figure where the hell I got this f.cker from. I was in a public coffee shop in a main shopping centre in a midlands town, 5 days before Christmas Eve, when I developed symptoms, seated right beside the public facilities. Folk were coming/going and depositing bags and shopping as they used the facility. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

I too am tortured trying to figure where the hell I got this f.cker from. I was in a public coffee shop in a main shopping centre in a midlands town, 5 days before Christmas Eve, when I developed symptoms, seated right beside the public facilities. Folk were coming/going and depositing bags and shopping as they used the facility. Not good.

I've heard of a lot of cases like this, where people can't quite figure out where they got it from. How are you now? Wishing you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Strand1970

Cashiers cant sanitise their hands after every customer. Therefore its potentially ending up on the outer packaging of a product you purchase from their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

Queried wrote: »
    I've heard of a lot of cases like this, where people can't quite figure out where they got it from. How are you now? Wishing you all the best.
    I'm doing very well, thanks! Covid has been reasonably gentle with me compared to some folk. I had an elevated temp for a day or so, cough, tiredness, pain in lower abdomen, and a mild headache. The cough is still there, though I feel I could go back to work in a day or so. I may have caught it from school before the Christmas break, was blue in the face asking students to adjust their masks appropriately. They just don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Arranging a test tomorrow, no energy, could sleep 16 hours a day for the last three days, have very bad bloodshot eyes, legs feel like jelly, slight cough, bit of a headache. No loss of taste or smell.

Pretty sure I got it from a sandwich shop or supermarket, sure we will see what the test says.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Strand1970 wrote: »
    If this new variant is more infectious than the original I suspect surface transmission and exposure through shopping will be more in play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wibbs wrote: »
    If this new variant is more infectious than the original I suspect surface transmission and exposure through shopping will be more in play.
    Fomite infections need a whole lot of things to be true first. The level of mixing pre-Christmas is a much more obvious source.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The level of mixing pre-Christmas is a much more obvious source.
    Oh god yeah, that's most of it I'd reckon. Of the people I know, the majority of whom have been responsible and careful this last year, much of that care went out the window over the Christmas period. Multi generational family gatherings and the like. I 100% understand it too. People are just tired at this stage. There's only so long you can be full on vigilant before you burn out and drop the guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭audman13

Had covid test on Tuesday, got positive result yesterday. Main symptoms were sniffly nose, sneezing, tight chest and sporadic cough. No temperature, no aches, no loss of smell or taste.
    My partner who I live with has tested negative.
    We've been so careful, I've no idea where we got it from. Stay safe everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

audman13 wrote: »
    Had covid test on Tuesday, got positive result yesterday. Main symptoms were sniffly nose, sneezing, tight chest and sporadic cough. No temperature, no aches, no loss of smell or taste.
    We've been so careful, I've no idea where we got it from. Stay safe everyone

Hopefully symptoms improve.

May I ask What was the time from GP/HSE contact to test to result?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh god yeah, that's most of it I'd reckon. Of the people I know, the majority of whom have been responsible and careful this last year, much of that care went out the window over the Christmas period. Multi generational family gatherings and the like. I 100% understand it too. People are just tired at this stage. There's only so long you can be full on vigilant before you burn out and drop the guard.

I think it was a combination. There was much more mixing by younger people in the weeks before Christmas in social settings (hospitality and private), and infections from these situations ended up in the multi-generational settings over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭audman13

Hopefully symptoms improve.

May I ask What was the time from GP/HSE contact to test to result?

Rang gp on Tues mornin at 9am,had test tuesday at 12. 30 and got results Thursday morning

Rang gp on Tues mornin at 9am,had test tuesday at 12. 30 and got results Thursday morning

Two day turn around is good.

• Advertisement

I know of a surprising number of households(five off the top of my head since this dose came along) where some have been positive(and with symptoms) and some negative while living together. Couples sleeping in the same bed and the like. Which is really bloody odd. With influenza if one brings it into a house the rest of those living there will get it, even the 20% of people who remain asymptomatic would return a positive test. I'm sure some of that are false negatives, but to that degree? It looks more like a viral infection in a partially vaccinated population. Which has added to my longstanding if somewhat hairbrained notion that exposure to a previous "bug" in the population has given some natural resistance in quite a few and explains how smokers are less likely to get it, but if they do suffer worse(which would be what you'd expect) as smokers are more likely to get respiratory infections, so would have been more likely to have caught this previous bug going around. It would also explain the variance in symptoms in people.

Advertisement