Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

211 reg cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

My new Skoda Karoq style (Lava blue) arrived into Dublin on Friday. Hope to have it by end of next week!
    Something to look forward to!
    Ordered back in November. Seems late to be receiving it. Possible Brexit issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Fair play to the dealer. What type of range rover is it?
    Land rover have a bad reputation for reliability but you wonder how much is urban myth.

It's a reputation that was well earned... LR and RR.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Isambard wrote: »
    you'll be welcome to buy mine at three years old and you'll get a great well-minded car. Of course it may need tyres and brake pads and other stuff and it won't have the nice minty smell it has now and will have several car park dings and the seats will have a bit of wear and may be saggy and smelly. It won't be as reliable as it is now, but you pays your money and takes your choice. Personally I wouldn't trust an Irish secondhand car, abused and not serviced often.

What :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Father in law gets a new car every January, he's currently awaiting his third RR P400. The last two both had the exact same issues with the hybrid system; last years car misbehaving within the first two months. He's no shrinking violet either and a replacement has never been offered. Still, loves them though.

We'd awful trouble with a 2 year old disco ourselves. Nice car when it worked, but never again.

Stockholm syndrome?
    Why keep coming back for more trouble?

Cork2021 wrote: »
    My new Skoda Karoq style (Lava blue) arrived into Dublin on Friday. Hope to have it by end of next week!
    Ordered back in November. Seems late to be receiving it. Possible Brexit issues?

I’d say you’ll be waiting 3 weeks, not 1 if my experience is anything to go by

• Advertisement

Why is it taking so long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

3 months order time. Seems early depending on how late into November you ordered.

L-M wrote: »
    3 months order time. Seems early depending on how late into November you ordered.

Ordered it first week in November...
    I suppose the last car I got off Skoda was in stock only had to wait two weeks back in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Bez Bing

Just out of interest why did it take 3 weeks after the car arrived in Ireland for you to get it? I’d have thought the turn around time would have been much quicker than that?
    Mine (a Tucson) is due to land in Ireland on Feb 20th and I was hoping ti have by the end of FEB.

Why is it taking so long?

Covid level 5. Distribution is working at 25% capacity I was told. Dealer said they normally get 2 trucks a day and it’s now 2-3 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Stockholm syndrome?
    Why keep coming back for more trouble?

No idea. It's a mystery to me that he accepts this. He went from a hard Lexus RX habit to LR. Polar opposites in terms of reliability and QC. They are lovely inside (the RX very poor in this dept.) but they fecking should be given the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Just out of interest why did it take 3 weeks after the car arrived in Ireland for you to get it? I’d have thought the turn around time would have been much quicker than that?
    Mine (a Tucson) is due to land in Ireland on Feb 20th and I was hoping ti have by the end of FEB.

My car was in stock in Ireland the middle of Dec . Only picked it up in the 22/1 - only came in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I guess our cars were on the same ship!

Don’t think any factories got up to full production since corona and then the semi conductor shortage doesn’t help.

The dealer has the ability to get certain cars prioritised to get sent to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Seat make lovely cars, if only the interiors matched the exteriors.

They've leaped forward with the new models to be fair, some nice attention to detail - mirrors, air vents and door handles being same shape as the front grille.

IMG-20210131-134857.jpg
    FGR wrote: »
    I agree with you on the exterior of the golf 8 but the interior would have been better had they stuck to traditional buttons on the dash and steering wheel.

As for having to use the touch screen for the climate control..no thanks.

Ive always been a fan of vag cars but I'm not liking their let's copy tesla approach on the interiors.

You can adjust the temperature (and the volume) using the capacitive buttons below the screen, other functions need to go therough the screen alright.

IMG-20210131-134345.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Apparently you can tap two fingers on the temperature control to turn on heated seats if you have them? I'm sure you'd get used to it. In reality you're not likely to use the infotainment a whole lot once you adjust your settings especially with the likes of auto climate in so many cars these days.

Regarding the interiors, I drove the previous Leon a few times and they're pretty much on par with the Golf. You'd probably notice one or two minor differences. Not sure about the standard model but the Leon Cupra has alcantara on the door trim which was a nice touch the Golf doesn't have. I don't think many Golf owners would mind being in a Leon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I had a look at the Leon on the site, it's a fine looking car in fairness, certainly worth considering the PHEV when PCP ends on the Superb next year. Do they still suffer from higher deprecation than the other VAG cars? Wouldn't mind a change from Skoda next time around.

Anyone here have a Skoda Karoq already? How do ye find it?
    When I test drove it back in November it was comfortable and has very good steering and gearbox was spot on

Anyone here have a Skoda Karoq already? How do ye find it?
    When I test drove it back in November it was comfortable and has very good steering and gearbox was spot on

Which one did you drive, 1.5 DSG? They're a fine looking car in fairness.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Which one did you drive, 1.5 DSG? They're a fine looking car in fairness.

Yeah, beautiful car inside and out.
    nearly fecking crashed it! Not used to an automatic... no need for the left leg!!

Yeah, beautiful car inside and out.
    nearly fecking crashed it! Not used to an automatic... no need for the left leg!!

Takes a little while to adjust alright, I keep my hand down on my left shin for the first few KM, the brain kind of kicks in then and I'm in auto mode:)
    I had a 1.4 TSI DSG Octavia, loved that car, nice little bit of poke and very light on juice.

• Advertisement

Takes a little while to adjust alright, I keep my hand down on my left shin for the first few KM, the brain kind of kicks in then and I'm in auto mode:)
    I had a 1.4 TSI DSG Octavia, loved that car, nice little bit of poke and very light on juice.

I’ve the 1 litre octavia atm, fine car and good on petrol, only reason I’m changing is because of the height. 2 babies and herself has a bad enough back so it’s easier to manoeuvre the two lunatics in and out instead of bending over,

I’ve the 1 litre octavia atm, fine car and good on petrol, only reason I’m changing is because of the height. 2 babies and herself has a bad enough back so it’s easier to manoeuvre the two lunatics in and out instead of bending over,

Had one too (172) hated the car, couldnt keep juice in the thirsty fecker was never as glad to see the back of a car tbh, such a disappointment after the 1.4.

Had one too (172) hated the car, couldnt keep juice in the thirsty fecker was never as glad to see the back of a car tbh, such a disappointment after the 1.4.

What did you get after that?
    Only reason it was good on juice for me was it was only used for a small commute only 14km each way

What did you get after that?
    Only reason it was good on juice for me was it was only used for a small commute only 14km each way

191 Superb 2 Litre diesel. Great car in fairness, could do with stiffer springs it's very wallowy on Irish back roads makes it tiresome to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

I see the final Jan numbers on beepbeep were down 18% on 2020.
    Doesn’t seem as bad as it might be, but if you look at Jan 20,19,18,17 & 16 it’s a steady decline every year and is down 37% versus Jan 2016.

Full EVs were still in the noise level, albeit up from 2.9% to 3.9%, with 980 sales and the Leaf way out on top with 200 registrations, Niro and ID3 fill out the top 3.
    Tesla registered 10 cars in total, so presumably no new boats have landed here for a few months now

Edit - tesla have registered just 110 cars in total since last September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

sk8board wrote: »
    I see the final Jan numbers on beepbeep were down 18% on 2020.
    Doesn’t seem as bad as it might be, but if you look at Jan 20,19,18,17 & 16 it’s a steady decline every year and is down 37% versus Jan 2016.

Full EVs were still in the noise level, albeit up from 2.9% to 3.9%, with 980 sales and the Leaf way out on top with 200 registrations, Niro and ID3 fill out the top 3.
    Tesla registered 10 cars in total, so presumably no new boats have landed here for a few months now

Edit - tesla have registered just 110 cars in total since last September.

Thats because they are a bloody ripoff, an elitist ego massager for upper middle class virtue signallers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Thats because they are a bloody ripoff, an elitist ego massager for upper middle class virtue signallers.

Tesla’s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Tesla’s?

Yep I think it is Tesla's he is giving out about lol.

Jeez since 2016 new car sales are nearly down 40 per cent or 2/5ths of the total new car sales in January. Another 4 years like that and they will be very few new cars in January.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can’t really judge much for the year on January alone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Tesla’s?

The whole lot of them are tbh. Most EVs are €40k plus for the same amount of car you get for about €25k with a petrol engine in it. That's a high price for that warm fuzzy "green" feeling.

The whole lot of them are tbh. Most EVs are €40k plus for the same amount of car you get for about €25k with a petrol engine in it. That's a high price for that warm fuzzy "green" feeling.

Nah that's the diesel:D
    Be talk of a scrappage scheme next...

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Nah, what petrol 200hp automatic car can you get for €25k. VS the ID 3 from €33k.

Tesla’s?

Yes.

Jasper79 wrote: »
    Nah, what petrol 200hp automatic car can you get for €25k. VS the ID 3 from €33k.

Thats not the point hes making, hes saying the petrol equivalent of the electric/phev/whatever will be considerably cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Well he’s wrong there. Most phevs are only a couple of grand more than petrols now after the recent VRT changes

• Advertisement

User1998 wrote: »
    Well he’s wrong there. Most phevs are only a couple of grand more than petrols now after the recent VRT changes

Plus charging point, plus requiring a 3 bed semi with large driveway etc before it's even viable. Middle class status mobiles is what they are not the new Model T some would have you believe. A nonsense and in 20 years time will only be a footnote in history/folly while we tried to find a technology that was actually viable to replace ICE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thats not the point hes making, hes saying the petrol equivalent of the electric/phev/whatever will be considerably cheaper.

I heard someone making the point that the electric version of any given car is very often the same or similar spec as the highest spec petrol or diesel, so it makes sense to compare its price to that and not to the base model with windy windows and hubcaps.

Even if that is true (and it certainly is sometimes), why don't the car manufacturers just make an EV with Paddy spec, for people who don't want anything fancy and who don't want to burn fossil fuels either.

fricatus wrote: »
    I heard someone making the point that the electric version of any given car is very often the same or similar spec as the highest spec petrol or diesel, so it makes sense to compare its price to that and not to the base model with windy windows and hubcaps.

Even if that is true (and it certainly is sometimes), why don't the car manufacturers just make an EV with Paddy spec, for people who don't want anything fancy and who don't want to burn fossil fuels either.

Because they know their market and that it's a fad technology they will make a few quick bucks off and ditch in a few years. Never going to be able to market EVs successfully as vehicles suitable for everyone.

Plus charging point, plus requiring a 3 bed semi with large driveway etc before it's even viable. Middle class status mobiles is what they are not the new Model T some would have you believe. A nonsense and in 20 years time will only be a footnote in history/folly while we tried to find a technology that was actually viable to replace ICE.

Theres a €600 grant for charge point and lots of new phevs and ev’s come with a charge point installation free of charge. Any house with a driveway suits an ev. Your talking nonsense to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Theres a €600 grant for charge point and lots of new phevs and ev’s come with a charge point installation free of charge. Any house with a driveway suits an ev. Your talking nonsense to be honest

Hell of a lot of people don’t live in a house with a driveway though particularly in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Completely agree, phevs don’t suit a lot of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

maddness wrote: »
    Hell of a lot of people don’t live in a house with a driveway though particularly in Dublin.

In my little town I have a driveway and so do many on the fringes, but the houses in the town centre don't have a driveway between them, that would be 75% or so of the cars in the town. I'd say that would be the norm nationwide.

Ok so any home with a driveway. That's still not every home is it? I mean even apartment dwellers can drive to their local filling station to refuel. There is no viable reliable solution regarding EVs here.

Bear in mind also urban areas across Europe favour high density development and are dead set against suburban sprawl. Yet EVs actually depend on such development with as you say yourself a private driveway for charging. A technology that not only is not ideal in the present And is significantly more expensive but that will be rendered useless in the near future is being promoted by all andsundry. Absolute nonsense and it will all end in tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

The search is over, 211-LS-1

Hes fair tough to buy a new car each year is that a fiesta

Ok so any home with a driveway. That's still not every home is it? I mean even apartment dwellers can drive to their local filling station to refuel. There is no viable reliable solution regarding EVs here.

Bear in mind also urban areas across Europe favour high density development and are dead set against suburban sprawl. Yet EVs actually depend on such development with as you say yourself a private driveway for charging. A technology that not only is not ideal in the present And is significantly more expensive but that will be rendered useless in the near future is being promoted by all andsundry. Absolute nonsense and it will all end in tears

You said theres a €15k difference between phev and petrol, which is false, and you said you need a 3 bed semi with large driveway to own a phev, which is also false. Thats all I was pointing out. I don’t care about how many people in Ireland are suited to a phev. This is a thread for posting new 211 cars, not ranting on about phevs?

Because they know their market and that it's a fad technology they will make a few quick bucks off and ditch in a few years. Never going to be able to market EVs successfully as vehicles suitable for everyone.

The iphone 'look at me' brigade.

I'll give you a laugh. An ex colleague got one (Toyota CHR hybrid) around the same time the company was getting all interested in sustainability. She was given the role of managing our sustainability policy and whats the first thing she did? Flew to Germany for a meeting on it with our parent company. I'm pretty sure Zoom had been invented by then!
    Its 80%-90% virtuous bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

lads, there’s a thousand threads arguing the virtues of EVs over on the motors board.

The original point was simply that January car sales are steadily declining and are down 37% on 2016, albeit the pandemic affecting Jan this year.

It will make a material difference to the future 2nd hand market, especially if imports continue to flow in, and simply get more expensive when the tariffs are added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This apartment dweller charges their Tesla at home, on my home charger, installed with a 600 quid grant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

sk8board wrote: »
    lads, there’s a thousand threads arguing the virtues of EVs over on the motors board.

The original point was simply that January car sales are steadily declining and are down 37% on 2016, albeit the pandemic affecting Jan this year.

It will make a material difference to the future 2nd hand market, especially if imports continue to flow in, and simply get more expensive when the tariffs are added.

Imports are unlikely to be flowing in though. It's only really from the NI market, and limited EX Vat UK cars only. As you say, the prices will rise up - its because they are trickling rather than flowing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement