Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

211 reg cars.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I reckon buying the current generation of overpriced EVs is madness.
    Unless of course you are planning a very ostentatious charitable act in 3-5 years.

ELM327 wrote: »
    As a tesla owner the above is quite frankly moronic.

Not everyone wants or needs an ev. And that's ok.
    Plenty of nice new ICE cars out there now. My Tesla was cross shopped with some of them!

Jesus are any of you cult members capable of resisting to urge to broadcast your membership?
    How do you know someone owns a tesla? They tell you. The ultimate truism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I reckon buying the current generation of overpriced EVs is madness.

So you’d rather buy some overpriced crossover that no one will want in four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

So you’d rather buy some overpriced crossover that no one will want in four years.

Example. Kona EV. 38k

Kona Petrol. 25k

5 years time Kona EV worth 10k.

Kona petrol worth 5k.

Who’s wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seen a lovely Kia Sorento today. I must the new model looks very classy and stylish. Kia really upped there game with it. I just hope they can do the same with the new Sportage.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

L-M wrote: »
    Example. Kona EV. 38k

Kona Petrol. 25k

5 years time Kona EV worth 10k.

Kona petrol worth 5k.

Who’s wrong?

The Kona in whatever powertrain is a ball off plastic and what people see in them I don’t know.

The price difference is down to the price of the battery what you don’t prob factor in is there are the minimal tuning costs and the grant.

The Kona in whatever powertrain is a ball off plastic and what people see in them I don’t know.

The price difference is down to the price of the battery what you don’t prob factor in is there are the minimal tuning costs and the grant.

That’s including the grants. And I’m being unfair saying the petrol will be worth 5k. It’ll probably be worth 10.

Tesla’s are terrible quality, simple cars. They’re 50k. A good diesel (better quality) Passat can be got for 12k less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I'd never seen an ID3 in the wild until lunchtime today & then I saw my second one after work this evening. Both 211-C regs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

skodacb wrote: »
    So we're buying one of these to replace my Octavia RS, screenshots attached.

Just have to do the haggle dance tomorrow with the dealership.

I did load up on the options, was disappointed slightly that the upgraded sound system as well as a panoramic roof are not available on Irish cars but it is what it is.

Comparing PCP to HP at the list price with a €6k deposit I will be going HP €460/month over 5 years compared to €409/month for 3 years with the notorious balloon payment.

Obviously I hope to bring this down by some euros tomorrow. I'll let ye know how I get on.
    Well? How did things go with the dealer? Don't leave us hanging here:)

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Well? How did things go with the dealer? Don't leave us hanging here:)

You missed the post two pages back

• Advertisement

You missed the post two pages back

Jaysus I did too, site was terrible all day I gave up on it for a few hours.

So deal done. Total price with change of VRT, delivery and the optional extras brought list price to just shy of €33k. Struck a deal at €31k.

Left it as the 1.0L TSI and looking at a 12-16wk delivery time frame, covid dependent.

HP @ 3.9% over 5 years working out at €455/month.

Nice one, hate that waiting lark:pac:
    2 grand off and going on their finance was a powerful deal. You had no trade in and a 6k deposit which dealers love. Are you getting dsg or manual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Nice one, hate that waiting lark:pac:
    2 grand off and going on their finance was a powerful deal. You had no trade in and a 6k deposit which dealers love. Are you getting dsg or manual?

Manual, I drive autos all day for work, I still prefer using my left foot, the wife wasn't keen on the idea of an automatic either.

Ms

That’s including the grants. And I’m being unfair saying the petrol will be worth 5k. It’ll probably be worth 10.

Tesla’s are terrible quality, simple cars. They’re 50k. A good diesel (better quality) Passat can be got for 12k less.
    Lol better quality good diesel VW for 12k less lol.

I'd take the Tesla over the VW too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Manual, I drive autos all day for work, I still prefer using my left foot, the wife wasn't keen on the idea of an automatic either.

Manuals will go the way of the dodo

Manuals will go the way of the dodo

https://youtu.be/0AEj3LA2vSo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

So deal done. Total price with change of VRT, delivery and the optional extras brought list price to just shy of €33k. Struck a deal at €31k.

Left it as the 1.0L TSI and looking at a 12-16wk delivery time frame, covid dependent.

HP @ 3.9% over 5 years working out at €455/month.

Did you go for all the options you showed if so it will be a seriously well specced Octavia. I wouldn’t think there will be too many of that model going around with blind spot monitoring. It was a decent enough discount you negotiated I didn’t think you’d get 2k off.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Did you go for all the options you showed if so it will be a seriously well specced Octavia. I wouldn’t think there will be too many of that model going around with blind spot monitoring. It was a decent enough discount you negotiated I didn’t think you’d get 2k off.

Yep all options left in including the blind spot monitoring which will be handy more so I believe traveling in France/Germany when conditions allow.

To be honest I didn't have to do much in the way of haggling, because I didn't have a car to trade in and because I bought two cars previously off them he had given me a discount of €1,500 before negotiations even begun, so I was happy with the €31k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Buying an ICE now is madness from my POV.

Very little matching the requirements of anything other than a small family car that's not ridiculous money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Jesus are any of you cult members capable of resisting to urge to broadcast your membership?
    How do you know someone owns a tesla? They tell you. The ultimate truism.
    No no, it was relevant to the discussion and a key tenet of the point I was making. But sure, if you'd prefer the kool aid nonsense then go right ahead.

ELM327 wrote: »
    No no, it was relevant to the discussion and a key tenet of the point I was making. But sure, if you'd prefer the kool aid nonsense then go right ahead.

Its not relevant, at all. You cant help yourself, like every other ev owner, tesla in particular. The truth hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Its not relevant, at all. You cant help yourself, like every other ev owner, tesla in particular. The truth hurts.

If someone wants to talk about their Tesla on a motoring forum, let them at it. Plenty talk about the type of cars they like, and the cars they have, and the cars they'd like to have. I'm not a Tesla fan but I'd like to think if I wanted to talk about my Audi here I wouldnt get a response like yours from Audi haters. Look, I mentioned I have an Audi. If we all liked and drove the same car it would be a bit dull.

C'mon, it was relevant to the point he was making, he pointed out he was a Tesla owner and didn't agree that it was madness to buy an non electric vehicle.

Hurrache wrote: »
    C'mon, it was relevant to the point he was making, he pointed out he was a Tesla owner and didn't agree that it was madness to buy an non electric vehicle.

He could have just mentioned that he owned an EV... It's the same with iPhone owners, and pilots! :pac:

He could have just mentioned that he owned an EV... It's the same with iPhone owners, and pilots! :pac:

Just landed from the Maldives, writing this on my iPhone, will be going to the club in my Tesla to meet my pilot friends later. My wife is a teacher btw, can't leave the teacher out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Ah a classic ICE - EV spat on an unrelated thread. I'll go pop the kettle on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    Careful now, my EV is plugged in too, there may not be enough electricity for you to do that too.

I think the point is buying a brand new ICE today is becoming increasingly less attractive.

I think the point is buying a brand new ICE today is becoming increasingly less attractive.

Oh no doubt, people are definitely thinking twice but a large majority will still buy a pure ICE for the next two or three years. Hybrids will be the go-to for people looking to make a switch, 1 in 4 cars sold this year already is a hybrid.

EVs still need to get the price down, which they are gradually doing but it'll be a few years yet. If they broke north of 15% market share for 2022 I'd be very surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d say PHEV’s will be become more popular this year, EV’s not so much, maybe 2% growth on last year. I don’t think all these new PHEV’s coming out are helping EV sales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh no doubt, people are definitely thinking twice but a large majority will still buy a pure ICE for the next two or three years. Hybrids will be the go-to for people looking to make a switch, 1 in 4 cars sold this year already is a hybrid.

EVs still need to get the price down, which they are gradually doing but it'll be a few years yet. If they broke north of 15% market share for 2022 I'd be very surprised.

Are mild hybrids included in that figure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

Looks like there was a whole lot of pre-regging of 211 cars done in Dublin at the weekend before the VAT rate changed. Picked up a new car that was registered on Saturday morning & the number was in the high 16000s, mate got his new car reg confirmed on Monday morning (car was regged late Saturday according to the dealer) and the reg number was well into the 18000s

Are mild hybrids included in that figure?

They are, difficult to filter them out but when I looked through they seem to account for about 4% of sales.

Exactly, brand first is the fanboy way.
    Tesla owners are like cult members in my experience.

Does anyone know what grants the iV Octavia qualifies for? I specced up one for my dream world it costs €43,479 before grants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Does anyone know what grants the iV Octavia qualifies for? I specced up one for my dream world it costs €43,479 before grants.

Pretty sure that's the price including grant of 5k.

Apologies I'm wrong, that excludes the 5k grant.

mcburns07 wrote: »

Thanks, so it's just 5k nothing else? 38k wouldn't be too bad I suppose.. No harm in dreaming:pac:

Exactly, brand first is the fanboy way.
    Tesla owners are like cult members in my experience.

I’ve always bought Casio calculators, fairy liquid and zip fire lighters am I in a cult.

I’ve always bought Casio calculators, fairy liquid and zip fire lighters am I in a cult.

No, because none of those are elitist brands - you don't feel superior to the next man for buying them, and you certainly don't flaunt them around.

I generally feel superior to everyone, regardless of me brand dropping. Reading the bickering over something so minor the last few pages, it's hard not to really. Why do people get so aggravated over a person in a motors forum of all places mentioning what they drive?

• Advertisement

No, because none of those are elitist brands - you don't feel superior to the next man for buying them, and you certainly don't flaunt them around.

It’s not his first time going on about the Casio calculator to be fair.

mcburns07 wrote: »

Thanks, so it's just 5k nothing else? 38k wouldn't be too bad I suppose.. No harm in dreaming:pac:

I don’t think you get the €5k for a PHEV

Well the off brand fire lighters are a false economy so I do scoff internally when I see people buying them. This idea of flaunting them like a prize pig is is human nature and the primary concepts in capitalism. The whole epoch of car ownership will change in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

We don't care in this thread.

I don’t think you get the €5k for a PHEV

No you do still get it. The €2500 VRT rebate is gone now but the €5000 is still in place for PHEVs with under 60g/km.

So is that a €5k grant and then you just pay whatever VRT you owe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

i'm so glad I didn't tell anyone here what my new car is....

So is that a €5k grant and then you just pay whatever VRT you owe?

Yeah bang on, thankfully the VRT rate on most PHEV's is only 7% now so it's not too bad. Depending on the price of the car you actually end up getting more money off than you would have with the old €2500 rebate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Isambard wrote: »

Ohhh look. Someone got a new car and has to tell everyone.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Isambard wrote: »

Is it a VW ID3?
    eggy81 wrote: »
    Ohhh look. Someone got a new car and has to tell everyone.

Yes that is what this thread is supposed to be for. Pictures of new cars not talking.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement