Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cook ‘spiced’ beef

Options
  • 01-01-2021 9:51am

I have a 1.2kg spiced beef and I’ve been looking up how to cook it but most results want to tell you about how to spice it in the first place (7days in the fridge etc). The ones that say about cooking vary wildly - some say boiling, some have slow cook in oven in water, some have normal oven cook like a beef joint.

I’ve no idea what cut this is but it’s covered in a black marinade in the pack that smells like cloves. Do I want to keep this (oven) or lose this (boil)? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Always boil mine, then press it a little after cooking and have cold with toast and brown sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

Boiling is the preferred method .I boil mine for 50 mins per kilo .If your going to eat it cold as in sandwiches leave it cool in the water .

Cheers. This will be eaten as part of a dinner warm.

Can it be finished in the oven so it doesn’t have the jelly like texture of a ham?

Do be honest I ve never finished one in the oven .The butcher i get mine from doesn't recommend doing in the at all so I just stuck with what he said .Do you mean jelly like as in the fat on a ham .Spiced beef generally only has a small layer of fat .I would compare it more to a corned beef when cooked .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Don't oven cook!

• Advertisement

yogmeister wrote: »
    Do be honest I ve never finished one in the oven .The butcher i get mine from doesn't recommend doing in the at all so I just stuck with what he said .Do you mean jelly like as in the fat on a ham .Spiced beef generally only has a small layer of fat .I would compare it more to a corned beef when cooked .

Not so much the fat but I’d always call the meat of a boiled ham more ‘jelly like’ (probably not describing it right) than a ham finished in the oven to dry it a little bit.

Going to stick it on to boil anyway, the 1200g should give me an hour. From cold like ham?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Bring to the boil then let it simmer until you can pass a knife through it. Leave it go cold in the water. Take out, pat dry and slice to preference. Purists add half a can of stout to the water before boiling!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Is it common to eat spiced beef warm with potatoes and veg? Or is it generally eaten cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

jackboy wrote: »
    Is it common to eat spiced beef warm with potatoes and veg? Or is it generally eaten cold?

Always cold as I know it as it is cooked Christmas eve for Christmas day dinner. That's how my family always do it and anyone else I know that has it at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Jeju

Cut slices as thin as possible and eat cold in a sandwich works best for me. Used to lave in water until it got cold but found it was inconsistent, gave it an extra 10 minutes in the pot and took it straight out, and was perfect.

This one will be for a dinner with potatoes and veg. I’ve no other meat out.

It can be eaten hot or cold .In our house its eaten hot first and then leftovers are eaten cold over the next few days .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Love spiced beef, we eat it cold. Let it cool to tepid temp at least in the pot. It won’t be jelly, spiced beef is quite dry.

Really good with horseradish btw.

It was way harder to get to the boil than a ham would be. Must have been the clove coating on it or something. About double the time.

Would not cook it again, or if I was I’d do like was said above and eat it like pastrami.

Advertisement