Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saoirview through Edison S2+T2C combi box

• 01-01-2021 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I just bought this box in a local hardware shop. I have a satellite dish on the house that was there when we moved in a few months ago. There's a TV aerial in the attic too. I've managed to get the satellite stations up and running but no the Irish stations. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help me with.

Does the aerial need to be outside the house or is it possible to get this working as is (in the attic)?
    There is no Irish region option in the terrestrial list, only UK, is this right?
    Tuner power on/off - what does this mean and should it be on or off?
    LNC on/off, again, what does it mean and which setting is right?

When I choose to scan either blind or by channel it says no signal.

Thanks a million

Edit to say that before we got the combi box, we had the aerial connected directly to the TV and it picked up RTE1, VM1 and some of the other stations depending on the weather..!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,512 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Plug the aerial back into the TV and see what signal strength/quality you are getting on RTE. There should be a menu to tell you that. Since you are getting RTE 1 and VM1, then you have a signal from the two frequencies Multiplex (Mux) 1 and 2. People often report losing signals on just one frequency.

https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_Saorview_(Ireland)

From this list see which transmitter you are getting your signals from, and you can concentrate on the two frequencies/channels on that transmitter.

http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf

If you have neighbours, you could check if they have roof aerials, or ask them do they have indoor aerials. If you are losing signal in bad weather, then your aerial is never going to give enough signal to make the new box satisfactory. I would get that sorted out first with the aerial in the TV, and then see about the box later.

There are video guides here for that receiver, or one with a similar name? I notice it is called Edision not Edison. There is a video on how to tune in Saorview channels.

https://www.freetv.ie/combi-receiver/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks for that, the video was very helpful, turns out you need to select Germany for the region! I have Rte 1, VM3, RTE2+1 RTE1+1 and some of the kids channels but still no RTE2, VM1 or 2 so I'll check out your suggestion in the first post too re frequency.

Neighbors aerials seem to be on their roofs so we might need to look at that sometime down the line but happy enough to at least get those allt through the one box for now.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks for that, the video was very helpful, turns out you need to select Germany for the region! I have Rte 1, VM3, RTE2+1 RTE1+1 and some of the kids channels but still no RTE2, VM1 or 2 so I'll check out your suggestion in the first post too re frequency.

Neighbors aerials seem to be on their roofs so we might need to look at that sometime down the line but happy enough to at least get those allt through the one box for now.

Thanks again!
    Buying a cheap amplified indoor one might be easier.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Whatever changes are done, make a note of the signal strength/quality readings each time. That way will show if there is any improvement. A perfect picture could be from a weak signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Neighbors aerials seem to be on their roofs so we might need to look at that sometime down the line but happy enough to at least get those all through the one box for now.

Can you move aerial around to see if all the terrestrial channels appear....

- Put aerial on side of attic facing same direction as the neighbours' aerials are facing.

- Put aerial as far from other objects as possible eg water tank, pipework, chimney, timber beams etc

- Change the aerial orientation by 90 degrees in each direction (vertical and horizontal)

If none of that works then just plug aerial into TV for now to get all the terrestrial channels.

Advertisement