Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unjustified thread ban in coronavirus forum

Options
  • 01-01-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, i'd like this threadban reviwed and overturned please on the basis it is a total misreading and wrong.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115745764&postcount=2369

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Threadbanned

I was not referring to any posters, I was not replying to anyone, nor would I ever do such a thing.

I was referring to some members of the general public.

This seems perfectly obvious.

I appealed to the moderator (Necro) to be reasonable and to overturn it as per outlined in the OP, he refused to even consider it.

This thread ban is the most unjustified I have ever seen. It was not even articulated to me in any coherent way why I was threadbanned, what it was for?

I did nothing wrong here.

ty

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread moved from the Dispute Resolution Forum. Threadbans are reviewed in Help Desk

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hi, when is this being reviewed?

It's the 4th of January and this was brought to attention here on the 30th of December. It shouldn't take this long...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058141826

P.S I also have the PMs to provide in terms of my attempt to resolve with the moderator, who to give them to?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As you are aware from the other thread PMs are not permitted to be published without the sender's consent. There is the exception of when someone is appealing a card or ban, when PMs relevant to the card or forum ban can be quoted in the Dispute Resolution Forum

That brings me to a question - you are appealing the threadban, but not the yellow you received. Is that right? If you are appealing the yellow that takes priority and the thread needs moving back to the Dispute Resolution Forum where a CMod can review the card

Well I hadn't thought of it, I guess the yellow is kinda important here, it was that yellow that got me probation. I don't know to be honest.

I don't think either sanction was warranted. And I want to show I made a genuine and sincere effort to intercede with the moderator.

If I successfully contest the yellow:

Is the thread ban also by extension removed?

Is my probation removed?

This would help me decide.

ty

• Advertisement

If the yellow is removed then the threadban can be considered further. However I will say your overall record in that thread (throughout its existence) has been an issue, any you have picked up at least 2 other threadbans plus a large number of cards in that series of threads. A threadban can be issued without a yellow, red or indeed forum ban being applied

In terms of probation, that remains in place whatever the outcome of any appeals on the card and/or threadban, The card/threadban brought your recent "record" to my attention and I could easily have applied it on the back of a number of recent cards. You have picked up 6 yellows, 2 reds and a forum ban since your last siteban was up in October and reducing that to 5 yellows, 2 reds and a forum ban over 3 months would still reflect an abysmal record, and be a faster accumulation of forum sanctions than many who have ended up sitebanned

I actually think you are best off observing the threadban, as you have picked up a number of cards in those threads and I suspect it may only be a matter of time before another

Anyway, all this does not belong in a DRP thread, and if you do wish to appeal the card I would suggest you start another thread in the Dispute Resolution forum. Any appeal against the threadban can be left in abeyance pending resolution of the yellow card dispute if you do decide to go down that route

Beasty wrote: »

I actually think you are best off observing the threadban, as you have picked up a number of cards in those threads and I suspect it may only be a matter of time before another

Thanks. Yes, well, i'm on the wrong side of the fence for that small clique over there who think they can relentlessly demean, be aggressive and bully daily those of us who have a different opinion to them off the forum.

It would be wrong for me to just accept and observe the thread ban as then they have succeeded. I said before I won't be bullied off it like others. My point of view regarding the situation is just as valid as theirs.

For that reason I would like to contest the thread ban (not the yellow as there is little point really) but also because the ban in and of itself is unjustified.

And if it gets me site banned through a card so be it, i'll take it on the chin, although needless to say i'd make every effort to avoid that anyway.

So herein lies the problem.

In that thread alone (and it's accepted you have at times been the most active poster in the thread but you have also been banned from the thread for significant periods) you have picked up 5 yellows, 1 red and 2 threadbans ignoring the yellow applied here.

Looking at the post that triggered the latest threadban it is not, in itself, overly offensive. However you were referring to a lot of people as "dickheads" and a number of posters took offence when reporting the post. It was though probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

You had also picked up a threadban in the Relaxation of Restrictions thread. Yes that was lifted, but you did pick up a 1 week forum ban for ignoring one of the threadbans.

It's clear that throughout the history of the forum you have caused issues. Whether deliberate or not is not really the issue here. After the initial sanctions you really should have thought about why you were getting them, and revise your posting accordingly. There has been some improvement, but you still find it quite easy to wind up other posters despite all those warnings.

Looking at other recent posts you made:
    Many didn't though.

I don't want to be annoying anyone but it has to be said, where are those posters who wanted everything opened up, that we didn't need the restrictions? That we just go about Christmas in the normal way?

Warnings ignored, people not taking it seriously, telling us all to ignore advice.

And now we have the results of that.

We could have kept our restrictions tight and foregone Christmas for one year. Wasn't much to ask.

My emphasis
    You don't want to be annoying people, yet you seem to do this quite regularly, and there is some irony in your comments about others "ignoring warnings"

Before that, this one
    Expecting a record number tomorrow I'd say

Not a problem in isolation, but it was yet again a post that others thought countered the spirit of mod warnings not to speculate over numbers. It's clear that some posters believed you were relishing some of the most difficult aspects of this pandemic. Whether that was the case is not the point.

I could go on, but I would be largely repeating myself.

So should the threadban be lifted? My decision is no. That's partly because I do not believe you have learned your lessons from prior mod interventions, and also because I do think your presence will cause further problems due to your attitude throughout this pandemic and it will be for your own good as I simply do not believe you can stay away from further cards or bans in that thread.

The thread ban should be lifted for no other reason than it was wrong.

I followed the guidelines to have it corrected and was stonewalled by a moderator.

It should be corrected if there is any credibility in these dispute mechanisms between moderators and posters at all.

I was given a thread ban and a card I should not have been given.

You are saying you won't undo an unfair, unjustified and patently wrong ban.

It's the moderator in question that has us here - not me.

Maybe, just maybe, your criticism should be going more that direction instead of making me, the poster, somehow entirely responsible.

I think that's terrible actually.

Threadban upheld

Marking resolved

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement