Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single person renting - electricity bill

Options
  • 01-01-2021 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi

does this bill look high or is it normal. Why is standing chare and pso levy so high

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tv2013 wrote: »
    Hi

does this bill look high or is it normal. Why is standing chare and pso levy so high

Thanks for any help
    What bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Standing charge and pso levy are fixed and don’t change or depend on usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Before working from home my bill would average around €85/90 per month. The last few have been around €110/120.

I cook on electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

shar01 wrote: »
    Before working from home my bill would average around €85/90 per month. The last few have been around €110/120.

I cook on electric.

Seems normal enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What type of space and water heating do you have, do you have an electric shower, do you use the dryer a lot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tv2013

TheChizler wrote: »
    What type of space and water heating do you have, do you have an electric shower, do you use the dryer a lot?

It just two rooms. There is an electric shower but keep the hot water off till I want it on same with heaters. I use dryer once an week

It just two rooms. There is an electric shower but keep the hot water off till I want it on same with heaters. I use dryer once an week
    Is the space and water heating electric or something else?

Just saw the screenshot, doesn't look particularly unusual.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is the space and water heating electric or something else?

Just saw the screenshot, doesn't look particularly unusual.

It electric.

The standing charge and pso levy when added together is more than usage is what I really can’t understand. I am paying more for that than the electric part

It electric.

The standing charge and pso levy when added together is more than usage is what I really can’t understand. I am paying more for that than the electric part
    That's just because your usage is relatively low. Levy is fixed for everyone as is standing charge for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Have you come to the end of your discount period? I can't see where your discount is being applied. It looks like you've been charged for 3 months pso levy too. From your end, 226 units for 2 months is fantastic there isn't much less you could use.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Have you come to the end of your discount period? I can't see where your discount is being applied. It looks like you've been charged for 3 months pso levy too. From your end, 226 units for 2 months is fantastic there isn't much less you could use.

This is my third month in this property and first time renting so not sure on things should look last bill was for 33€ and this has tripled

This is my third month in this property and first time renting so not sure on things should look last bill was for 33€ and this has tripled
    So the first bill was for less than 1 month and this one is for 2, it roughly makes sense.

Looks about right. I switched recently and got an estimated bill for €90 for the 2 months.

It is annoying though that the fixed charges are as high as they are. The more you use the better value per unit it is. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It is annoying though that the fixed charges are as high as they are. The more you use the better value per unit it is. :pac:

Happened in the 09 recession, ESB were taking a huge hit with lots of empty houses, rather than adapt government gave them minimum charges

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

3.5KWh per days is very average. So yes it’s fine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,655 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah it is. Though one way to try to reduce the cost for low users of electricity is to try find the cheapest standing charge. When I switched last year standing charges ranged from 128 per year (Glow Power) up to 243 per year (Bord Gais). So if you are a low user of electricity it can often be better to seek out the lowest standing charge rate even if it means paying a high unit cost rate. Its a matter of doing the maths of how many KwH you use a year but for me anyway choosing the lowest standing charge will save me money over the other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

Looks very cheap for two months - I live on my own (and heat with gas) and my bill is significantly higher than that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

shar01 wrote: »

I cook on electric.
    per month, or per billing period?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

Count yourself lucky. My units for the same period was over 800, compared to your 225.

• Advertisement

Over 1200 for me... Small wonder energia won't let me leave:D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Mine is typically between 200 and 300 a month in Winter. About 120 in summer. That’s inclusive of water and bins.

Over 1200 for me... Small wonder energia won't let me leave:D

What type heating are you using ? Have you changed your lighting over to LED? Are i you u using the immersion?

ted1 wrote: »
    What type heating are you using ? Have you changed your lighting over to LED? Are i you u using the immersion?

Oil heating. CFC bulbs not led. Immersion is isolated at the board, never used. Electric cooker, dishwasher, clothes dryer, the missus puts the clothes on a horse overnight with the dehumidifier in the room, that has reduced dryer time a lot (not the bills though). I use the oil to heat the water in the summer, just for half an hour a day since I got the electric shower. Summer bills are sore enough too I was thinking of asking ESB networks to check the meter as they're very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

You signed up with 22.5% discount and 50€ cash back? Could the 50€ have come off the first bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

StefanFal wrote: »
    Mine is typically between 200 and 300 a month in Winter. About 120 in summer. That’s inclusive of water and bins.

What electricity provider also sells you water and bin collection?? None, I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I'd imagine you'd have wanted the heaters on more in month 3 than month 1. Yes? Months 4&5 and even 6 could be in a similar vein so.

Oil heating. CFC bulbs not led. Immersion is isolated at the board, never used. Electric cooker, dishwasher, clothes dryer, the missus puts the clothes on a horse overnight with the dehumidifier in the room, that has reduced dryer time a lot (not the bills though). I use the oil to heat the water in the summer, just for half an hour a day since I got the electric shower. Summer bills are sore enough too I was thinking of asking ESB networks to check the meter as they're very high.

First thing to do is to replace your bulbs with LED much better lights than CFL.

Dehumidifiers are very expensive to run. I’d check the model and see how much power it uses. A clothes line in the summer and a tumble dryer could be a much better option. A dehumidifier can use 400 w an hour if it’s in for 8 hours that 3.2kwh a dryer cycle should use less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Also bear in mind the PSO levy increased by 130% from about Eur 34 to 78 p.a. (ex VAT) with effect from 1 Oct 20.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    First thing to do is to replace your bulbs with LED much better lights than CFL.

Dehumidifiers are very expensive to run. I’d check the model and see how much power it uses. A clothes line in the summer and a tumble dryer could be a much better option. A dehumidifier can use 400 w an hour if it’s in for 8 hours that 3.2kwh a dryer cycle should use less

I found the light from LEDs to be very harsh it's very difficult to find ones that are easy on the eyes. Obviously in the summer we use the clothes line and unplug the dehumidifier. It's a meaco dehumidifier it doesn't run constantly, when the clothes are on the horse we give them a blast of it for an hour on the laundry setting and then put it back to its 55% setting and head for bed. The rated power is 370W The clothes are almost dry in the morning, less than 40 mins in the dryer has them sorted and put away.

Advertisement