Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water timer for rain water

Options
  • 01-01-2021 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I had a florabest water timer on an IBC to water 12 tomato plants in my glass house, using an 18 mm feed pipe to 2 12 mm garden hoses and 4 mm hose to drip feeders which worked very well for the last 5 years. The water timer has given up and I am looking to source a new one that will work with a water butt . Have looked online but many only work with tap pressure or else the flow rate is too low to water all my plants. Any body any experience of a similar water timer or alternative suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

bcmr wrote: »
    I had a florabest water timer on an IBC to water 12 tomato plants in my glass house, using an 18 mm feed pipe to 2 12 mm garden hoses and 4 mm hose to drip feeders which worked very well for the last 5 years. The water timer has given up and I am looking to source a new one that will work with a water butt . Have looked online but many only work with tap pressure or else the flow rate is too low to water all my plants. Any body any experience of a similar water timer or alternative suggestion?
    If you want to water your beds from a tank rather than a tap you will either have to involve a pump or have your tank elevated somewhat above ground level so that you have a "head of water" to provide a flow at your irrigation hoses. This is irrespective of whether you have a timer involved.

If it were me, I would have submersible pump in the water butt with a timer on its electrical supply. Building some kind of "water tower" up to just below your rainwater gutters might work if it could be done in a way that would be safe in regard to any part of it falling on somebody.

Advertisement