Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mixing stray with existing pets

• 01-01-2021 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, looking for advice please from people who've done this before. I've been feeding a stray cat that was being fed by neighbours, before they moved (the house they were renting was sold) and want to take her in. She's very used to humans and will happily come into my house, isn't even scared of our toddler! The issue is I already have a very nervous rescue cat that I've had for 5 years. She's scared of everything and everyone, except me, and it feels like I'm going to ruin her world with this very confident new arrival!

The other issue is that the stray cat is used to sleeping outside (not sure where) but hasn't taken to sleeping in our house. She was quite distressed. I set up a dog cage, with litter, water, food and a box to sleep in. We put the cage in the kitchen, partially covered the cage and turned the lights off, so she'd relax. The other pets (we also have a dog) were kept out of the kitchen overnight. She doesn't appear to be litter trained, as it was untouched overnight. Just looking for any advice on how to integrate this stray into our family. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Chrisam wrote: »
    Hi, looking for advice please from people who've done this before. I've been feeding a stray cat that was being fed by neighbours, before they moved (the house they were renting was sold) and want to take her in. She's very used to humans and will happily come into my house, isn't even scared of our toddler! The issue is I already have a very nervous rescue cat that I've had for 5 years. She's scared of everything and everyone, except me, and it feels like I'm going to ruin her world with this very confident new arrival!

The other issue is that the stray cat is used to sleeping outside (not sure where) but hasn't taken to sleeping in our house. She was quite distressed. I set up a dog cage, with litter, water, food and a box to sleep in. We put the cage in the kitchen, partially covered the cage and turned the lights off, so she'd relax. The other pets (we also have a dog) were kept out of the kitchen overnight. She doesn't appear to be litter trained, as it was untouched overnight. Just looking for any advice on how to integrate this stray into our family. Thanks!

Let her make the pace? I have much the same situation here and while I let the newbie in occasionally he is happier as an outdoor cat. Integration takes a log long while and needs to be at the cat's pace.

Maybe set full integration aside? I have done so instinctively and they are all happier ( I have five cats who are in and out as they want)

Please stop trying to confine her indoors? She will not relax, Maybe at some stage she will choose to sleep indoors; maybe not. That needs to be her choice.
    You are feeding her and caring. That is a great thing. But shutting her in is not wise and will have no effect

Let the cats sort this out between them also. That too will take time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

You have already set up a shelter for her. Put it outside and show it to her. Insulate it, in these cold nights put in a microwave hot water bottle. Hay is a good insulator. Let them work it out maybe have her inside for short periods only, if you take her inside overnight for the coming cold spell continue to restrict access to the full house. Your resident cat must determine the speed of integration. I found if they have met outside before it is much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chrisam

Just an update on the little stray, Rosie. She's curled up asleep in our kitchen, on her little blanket, for the 5th night in a row. She's now settled in well, comes in a couple of times to be fed during the day, then comes in each evening for a nice feed and warm bed. She only goes into the dog cage, last thing at night and is fine with it now. As she gets used to us I'll leave her out of the cage altogether. She still hasn't used the litter, but I'm hoping she might. We've kept her separate from our other pets and we'll introduce her to them gradually. Very glad she's indoors on such a cold night!

Advertisement