Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skewer question

Options
  • 01-01-2021 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is there such a thing as an extra long rear wheel QR skewer to allow a disc brake bike to take a trainer wheel for a turbo ?
    The trainer wheel I have is a “normal” wheel , ie. not a disc brake type.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

An old mountain bike QR rear skewer might give you an extra 5mm, 135mm as against 130mm for a "normal" rear road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So you want to fit a rim brake wheel on a disc brake bike? I think with the amount of faffing about you’d have to do to make that work you’d be better off, quicker and probably cheaper just to buy a disc brake wheel to use on the trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Russman

So you want to fit a rim brake wheel on a disc brake bike? I think with the amount of faffing about you’d have to do to make that work you’d be better off, quicker and probably cheaper just to buy a disc brake wheel to use on the trainer.

Thanks, yeah that’s exactly it. It works if I use the skewer from my regular disc brake wheel but I don’t want to be changing skewer each time I change out the wheels. I wasn’t sure if the skewers that long can be bought separately. You’re probably right though, a dedicated disc brake wheel could be the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Russman wrote: »
    You’re probably right though, a dedicated disc brake wheel could be the way forward.

Skewers can be bought separately. If it's just for on the turbo, why do you care for a disc brake? I would invest in a block of wood or something to put in the calipers just in case you pull the lever though.

Idleater wrote: »
    Skewers can be bought separately. If it's just for on the turbo, why do you care for a disc brake? I would invest in a block of wood or something to put in the calipers just in case you pull the lever though.

Thanks, that’s what I needed to know. Honestly I’m not really that pushed either way about the disc brake. It’s just with the turbo wheel I have, the skewer is too short so was just wondering if I can get one to fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

My turbo wheel is 9 speed (vs 11) with a dented rim that would not be road worthy. I generally adjust it to a middle sprocket and use the resistance lever. It has its own skewer that fits in the mount.

Idleater wrote: »
    My turbo wheel is 9 speed (vs 11) with a dented rim that would not be road worthy. I generally adjust it to a middle sprocket and use the resistance lever. It has its own skewer that fits in the mount.

So I had a good long look at it today and got it working. I was going to swap skewers out as I did last year, but noticed both skewers I had (from my normal wheel and the trainer wheel) were actually the same length so I figured there’s something I’m missing here. Turns out the nut at the end of the skewer was on the wrong way round so preventing the dropout from sitting properly onto the skewer. Once I turned it round it all fell into place. It’s the simple things isn’t it !

Advertisement