Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE "joke" about God and Mary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Akrasia wrote: »
    13 year olds can’t consent to being impregnated

We dont know what age Mary was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

I'm embarrassed for RTE / Waterford Whispers - everyone knows God is only about 6,000 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Some religions can be lampooned in Ireland while others can't. I think this is what annoys those who are of a particular religion.

As an atheist I think all religions are fair game for satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

RTE has many agendas being pushed by a vocal minority, constantly. Chief target are Catholics, followed by other Christians, while promoting any alternatives at every opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

. It wasn't funny at all. It seemed like a joke you'd hear in a primary school class.

Sure isn't that where Mary was when God sent his buddy over to let her know he was gonna knock her up?

Makes it age appropriate at least :) doesn't it?

Excuse the pun but there should be no sacred cows.
    Be it God choosing to knock up children, or Muhammed marrying one.

If we are a Nation of laws?
    Consent, and the ability to actually give it matter.
    I see some have trotted out Mary's acknowledgement that she was a servant of the lord as her consent.
    Try telling a judge that the 12y.o who birthed your child consented...?
    See how that defence flies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Would be curious to know how many of the outraged folk here would have vigorously defended the right of Charlie Hebdo to publish its Muhammad cartoons. Quite a number I suspect.

The purpose of the joke is make its audience feel uncomfortable. Ireland is an overwhelmingly Christian country and we've just finished celebrating the biggest culturally Christian festival of the year. Of course they targeted Christians rather than Jews or Muslims or Hindus. Rightly so. Satire has to be relevant to your audience.

As pointed out earlier, those that are screaming that RTE wouldn't do this to another religion would be screaming even louder if RTE started broadcasting the Islamic call to prayer. Equally, those outraged at having to pay a licence fee for such blasphemous content would be apoplectic if the Angelus was abandoned.

Hypocrites every single one of you. Eamon Martin can slide on too.

One last thing, "the underlying basis for the joke is false, Mary of course consented to be the mother of Jesus" might genuinely be the single most bizarre thing I've ever read on Boards, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

I would have thought that if Satan was in control, things would be a lot more fun than they are :P

Also if you believe that Satan exists, then you must also believe that your god is not all-powerful after all, which raises rather a few questions.

Tormented in hell for eternity with no chance of being rescued by God is fun???

We have free will in this world, do we put our trust in God or do we put our trust in the world which is under the control of Satan. One can lead to salvation while the other leads to hell. God sees everything including the intentions of the heart, nobody will be without excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Akrasia wrote: »
    13 year olds can’t consent to being impregnated

Around 12 to 14 years old was custom at the time and most definitely a teenager.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

AlfaZen wrote: »
    Can God create a rock that is too heavy for him to lift?

Either God is not all powerful or he doesn’t exist.

Mod: Carded for breach of charter;

"5. Arguments such as "There is no God, therefore..." or "The Bible is full of contradictions, therefore..." will not be tolerated. Don't start off with a conclusion which your audience is bound to disagree with!"

Do not discuss this in thread, any response to the feedback thread or via PM only. Thanks for your attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Ahh cmon now people, ‘‘twas a joke

Of course it does. If your god can create anything he or she can also destroy anything.

Mod warning: This argument has been done to death here and any further references to the Christian God as "he or she" will be considered trolling and dealt with accordingly. Do not discuss this in thread, any response to the feedback thread or via PM only. Thanks for your attention.

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Rte is where the athiest Gays go these days instead of the priesthood.

Mod: Infracted for trolling, next one will be a ban. Do not discuss this in thread, any response to the feedback thread or via PM only. Thanks for your attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

bfa1509 wrote: »
    RTE wouldn't want to offend paedophiles, seeing as they had one on their payroll for years.

Didn’t the Catholic Church have 100’s of child rapists on their payroll too?

At least RTE fired him instead of moving him to another area so he could keep raping children like the Catholic Church did with their priests.

RTE didn’t look to pay off any victims or cover the story like the Catholic Church did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Gonna be a long day for smacl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If RTÉ were taking the p1ss out of

Islam
    Hinduism
    Buddhism
    Traditional African religions

Etc etc along with the easy and lazy/cowardly jokes about Christianity then I might have more respect for them

But no, always the lazy and cowardly option in RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Islam
    Hinduism

Etc etc along with the easy and lazy/cowardly jokes about Christianity then I might have more respect for them

What's a good Islam or Hindu joke that the Irish population might funny during a Christmas/New Year special?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

Islam
    Hinduism

So you'd be ok with the skit, if they had included a skit on Islam and Hinduism?

Anyhow, RTE have no beef with Hindus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Treppen wrote: »
    So you'd be ok with the skit, if they had included a skit on Islam and Hinduism?

Anyhow, RTE have no beef with Hindus

I’m not ok with the skit but if RTÉ want to go down the route of religious “humour” then all religions like Islam Hinduism etc should be targeted

Not simply the safe and boring Christianity jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Islam
    Hinduism

Only 2 religions have had any significance in Ireland for most of the last 1000 years. Catholics and Protestants so that is why they will feature over and over on RTE.

What would be the point of a bunch of comedians who have no experience of Hinduism in a country with no experience of Hinduism making a joke about it as it would most likely go over everyone's head.

Also the catholic church willingly embedded itself in Irish politics and culture and has a special place in our constitution so is therefore gonna command a special place in Irish satire

TheChizler wrote: »
    What's a good Islam or Hindu joke that the Irish population might funny during a Christmas/New Year special?

Why is God a joke to you?

God has made it known to everyone of his existence, including those who suppress him. Do you think your jokes will save you when your judgement comes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I’m Catholic and I couldn’t help with think if it were any other faith it would not have been broadcast but we are expected to just put up with it.
    You're correct, because as Dara O'Briain had pointed out, if it was another faith, the vast majority of the audience wouldn't get it.

I’m not ok with the skit but if RTÉ want to go down the route of religious “humour” then all religions like Islam Hinduism etc should be targeted

Not simply the safe and boring Christianity jokes.

So does that mean a comedian has to write a joke about every religion if he writes it about one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

God has made it known to everyone of his existence, including those who suppress him. Do you think your jokes will save you when your judgement comes?

I wouldn't bet on it, I have terrible comedic timing.

Islam
    Hinduism
    Buddhism

I agree RTE can be cowardly. They were cowards for years and years of industrial scale rape by catholic priests and said nothing about it. Worse than that they were kissing a*** with the church

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Why is God a joke to you?

The entire concept is amusing.
    God has made it known to everyone of his existence

No he hasn't. Thats the problem.

Nothing wrong with joking about Irish minorities (Catholics) or the Irish majority (Agnostics/Atheists).

I'd suggest some people need to lighten up.

Or just be good Christians and forgive RTE.

Akesh wrote: »
    Pathetic strawman argument

I asked because that is how it was worded.

Ireland has loads of catholic or catholic raised comedians and little or none from other religions

So if all religions are to be "targeted" (not my words) then we either need to import some comedians or get the catholic ones to write about religions they don't understand

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Comedians writing jokes about other religions would go down a hell of a lot worse than then writing about their own ones.

Comedians writing jokes about other religions would go down a hell of a lot worse than then writing about their own ones.

Exactly. Ireland does catholic jokes and some bloody good ones too. leave the Hindu/muslim jokes for their countries and vise versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Have no objection if mod wishes to put christian tag on the post to make things easier I should have done so myself probably

The Nal wrote: »

Nothing wrong with joking about Irish minorities (Catholics) or the Irish majority (Agnostics/Atheists).

Or just be good Christians and forgive RTE.

Your creator is amusing? You and I both know the human race is sinful, there is no denying that. What has made you so convinced that your creator is not real and simply a concept for your amusement?

• Advertisement

Your creator is amusing? You and I both know the human race is sinful, there is no denying that. What has made you so convinced that your creator is not real and simply a concept for your amusement?

If you want an honest answer to that you need a different forum. Not sure there is one on boards.ie as if one is started outside the Christianity forum it could get directed back to here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭RamonD3

Doesn't bother me but

Not appropriate for the older people viewing it

The funniest thing about this is that the generation of audience that RTE crave and tried to appeal to would all have been watching Death to 2020 on Netflix.

If you want an honest answer to that you need a different forum. Not sure there is one on boards.ie as if one is started outside the Christianity forum it could get directed back to here

Is it not an honest answer cannot be given? It's a recurring theme with atheists and agnostics, joke and mock God, but when questioned then a wall of silence comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

[if it was up to me I wouldn't give rte a cent of licence money. They are lazy, biased arrogant. As other posters said they will pop jokes at Christianity, not a hope of doing same against other religions.
    Same too yellow to report on the scandalous behaviour in blanchardstown 2 nights ago.

Or just be good Christians and forgive RTE.[/quote]

Is it not an honest answer cannot be given?
    I think that sentence has a lot more power/makes a lot more sense in your own head.

boetstark wrote: »
    As other posters said they will pop jokes at Christianity, not a hope of doing same against other religions.
    can you name one jewish or one muslim comedian based in ireland whose services they could call upon?
    the alternative would be to ask a christian or atheist comedian to write jokes about a religion they don't know. do you think that's tenable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Islam
    Hinduism
    Buddhism

So in a Christian country you would be happier and have more respect if they had a joke about other religions that the vast majority in the country wouldn’t get or understand.

Basically you’re offended but would be happier if more people of other religions were offended also?

Is there any jokes about those religions you would like to hear that fit in around Christmas/New Years?

the kelt wrote: »
    So in a Christian country you would be happier and have more respect if they had a joke about other religions that the vast majority in the country wouldn’t get or understand.

Basically you’re offended but would be happier if more people of other religions were offended also?

Is there any jokes about those religions you would like to hear that fit in around Christmas/New Years?

I think people are being disingenuous about understanding of other religions. I think I would get most Islamic/Jewish jokes.

However, to contradict myself somewhat the 'joke' referenced here does mock Judaism and Islam. They have the same root afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Theres no evidence God exists. I'm a rational person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Freedom of speech and unequal treatment of different religions aside, a public broadcaster should be setting the highest standard and not attempt to compete with some private comedy channels on who gets more out of line.

I think I would get most Islamic/Jewish jokes.
    i think you're unlike 99% of catholics so.

Freedom of speech and unequal treatment of different religions aside, a public broadcaster should be setting the highest standard and not attempt to compete with some private comedy channels on who gets more out of line.

I am perfectly happy with my national broadcaster doing satire. Why do christian conservatives much like nationalist conservatives think that they have a monopoly on getting to decide a countries standards ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

Childhood cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Nasty from RTÉ...........you’d have to wonder though whose pulling rte’s strings?

i think you're unlike 99% of catholics so.

Do you not get these...

Two Rabbis were discussing their problems with squirrels in their synagogue attic. One Rabbi said, "We simply called an exterminator and we never saw the squirrels again." The other Rabbi said, "We just gave the squirrels a bar mitzvah, and we never saw them again."

Or (instead of Chelm substitute Kerry if you need help)

One Jewish Chełm resident bought a fish on Friday in order to cook it for Sabbath. He put the live fish underneath his coat and the fish slapped his face with his tail. He went to the Chełm court to submit a charge and the court sentenced the fish to death by drowning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Offensive jokes are big business for many like Jimmy carr, Sarah silverman and Ricky Gervais. I applaud rte for having the courage to roll with this one which I'm sure they knew was going to ruffle feathers.

Yeah but most of them are aimed at easy targets, the targets that don't fight back, literally in some cases.

How many of them have the balls to take on certain sacred cows, certain religions groups, certain races, certain "genders".
    Nah it is easier to have a pop at soft targets so they get all the thanks and high fives from the right on brigade that thinks they are so out there and progressive.
    homer911 wrote: »
    While God does not need humans to stand up for him, I think RTE should have had better taste. Christians always seem to be easy targets, I doubt RTE would be so brave as to have a go at Hindus or Muslims

Exactly it is the bloody double standards.

Pull the pi** out of all religions or none.

And of course I bet a fair few of the ones on here shouting about how it is fine to do this and christians don't have a sense of humour would be the very ones crying descrimination if this was done to certain other religions that has a cohort always defending it's excesses.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Well done RTE, the more we lampoon these cults the more we grow.
    I wonder did Mary know she was be impregnated by God? Did he say it to her first?
    God has over seen a lot of rape in his time, especially all the Christian priests that preach his word, are they raping children and each other in his name?
    Has God any power worth talking about if he can't stop his own priests raping girls and boys.
    God gets a lot of credit when things go right, but when things go wrong his followers tend to say different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Oh remember the revered respectful reporting Rte gave to the Eid celebration this summer. You don't get that same level of respect towards the catholic religion from them.
    Also disrespectful to the many elderly Catholics who might be self isolating due to Covid and might only have RTE to keep them company to make fun of their beliefs.
    It also insults many Catholics who have made their home here from Poland Brazil Italy Spain.
    Suggest anyone who found offence complain to Rte see Ben's tweet below

https://twitter.com/Ben_Scallan/status/1345049118247440384?s=19

Oh remember the revered respectful reporting Rte gave to the Eid celebration this summer. You don't get that same level of respect towards the catholic religion from them.
    Also disrespectful to the many elderly Catholics who might be self isolating due to Covid and might only have RTE to keep them company to make fun of their beliefs.
    It also insults many Catholics who have made their home here from Poland Brazil Italy Spain.
    Suggest anyone who found offence complain to Rte see Ben's tweet below

https://twitter.com/Ben_Scallan/status/1345049118247440384?s=19

Flood away lads. I think you will find most Irish people don't care about a bit of blasphemy now that the fear of retribution from the bishops and the knights of Columbanus is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

This is whatI think of when people mention God and the church, multiply this man's experience by 10s of thousands.
    https://youtu.be/iq-BB_aZUVI

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement