Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesh WiFi

Options
  • 01-01-2021 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭

Hi all and Happy New Year,

I currently have a 10 year old Asus RT-N66U WiFi router connected to Virgin 200mb fibre which has been a solid performer but now with teenagers playing online games, 2 adults working from home and the general explosion of tech and IOT etc (up to 35 devices connected at any one time) I need to upgrade so the whole house receives a decent WiFi signal.

Mesh WiFi seems to be the way to go but I'm struggling to figure out what system to invest in.

I've an average size two storey house so reckon a two unit setup would probably suffice.

I'm looking for a recommendation where the base unit has at least 4 Ethernet "out" ports.

Any suggestions?

Should I wait for Mesh E systems to become available in the next few months? Are they worth the wait and the price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

54and56 wrote: »
    Hi all and Happy New Year,

I currently have a 10 year old Asus RT-N66U WiFi router connected to Virgin 200mb fibre which has been a solid performer but now with teenagers playing online games, 2 adults working from home and the general explosion of tech and IOT etc (up to 35 devices connected at any one time) I need to upgrade so the whole house receives a decent WiFi signal.

Mesh WiFi seems to be the way to go but I'm struggling to figure out what system to invest in.

I've an average size two storey house so reckon a two unit setup would probably suffice.

I'm looking for a recommendation where the base unit has at least 4 Ethernet "out" ports.

Any suggestions?

Should I wait for Mesh E systems to become available in the next few months? Are they worth the wait and the price?

Mesh eats into channel bandwidth. Run a cat6 cable between hops if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

ongarite wrote: »

Thanks Ongarite, I had looked for such a thread assuming it would be a popular topic but didn't see one.

Lots to read and learn.

Advertisement