Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with first buy

Options
  • 01-01-2021 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello to everyone. Im looking to buy my first bike and I'd like to use the cycle to work scheme early this year. I'm not sure about what kind of bike to buy and I'm here to ask your help. I would like to buy a bike easy to drive and comfort to do long distance so my thought was about or an endurance or a gravel bike. I'm not really sure if a gravel is ok or is too much. My idea was to make also some trip in the weekend expecially in the Connemara because I'm living in Galway but all the road that I'm usually see when I'm there for hiking are all with tarmac and not in really bad condition so I guess that endurance bike with maybe at last tyres up to 35c should be enough because I don't think to go out for ride in the woods or down to tricky downhill. What do you think and in case which bike should be good? I checked and I saw the Trek Domane AL3 disc looks great but TRIBAN RC 520 mount 105 group but its almost impossible to find. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pierojump

pierojump wrote: »
    Hello to everyone. Im looking to buy my first bike and I'd like to use the cycle to work scheme early this year. I'm not sure about what kind of bike to buy and I'm here to ask your help. I would like to buy a bike easy to drive and comfort to do long distance so my thought was about or an endurance or a gravel bike. I'm not really sure if a gravel is ok or is too much. My idea was to make also some trip in the weekend expecially in the Connemara because I'm living in Galway but all the road that I'm usually see when I'm there for hiking are all with tarmac and not in really bad condition so I guess that endurance bike with maybe at last tyres up to 35c should be enough because I don't think to go out for ride in the woods or down to tricky downhill. What do you think and in case which bike should be good? I checked and I saw the Trek Domane AL3 disc looks great but TRIBAN RC 520 mount 105 group but its almost impossible to find. Thanks in advance

No idea at all? Even for some good shop in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd say you are fine with an endurance type road bike if you are really planning to stay on roads. 32mm tires will be good on any paved Irish roads.

Both are good bikes. I'd stay away from mechanical disc brakes if possible (disc brakes which are cable operated). Not sure on Decathlon supply issues but the Triban looks like great value for money.

Can't help with a shop recommendation but number one piece of advice would be making sure you get something that fits correctly.

Advertisement