Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22

• 01-01-2021 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

If you have prime/free delivery it appears that a lot of items under €22 will come without any VAT/import charges applied. An EU rule allows the import of items under €22 without being subject to any VAT but this will be closed in July it appears.

I'll get us going:

I got this nifty utility knife before christmas and thought I'd get a second:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SJY8KK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Costs: 12.99
    Apply Utility Knife voucher -10%
    No VAT obligation -20%
    Final price: £9.74

Note: Does not apply to all types of item. Also, discount only visible at checkout!
    Tagged:

Comments

I would imagine the items that don't reduce at checkout are the items that have a 0% UK VAT rate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I would imagine the items that don't reduce at checkout are the items that have a 0% UK VAT rate. :)

Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering why it didn't work for some things.

While a 20% discount on an item €22 or less isn't all that exciting, if, like me, you buy items regularly under 22eur, those pound or two savings start to add up!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭skitzyspider

I was about to place an order for a book on Amazon UK and just noticed I am being charged a £6.96 import fees deposit! I was under the impression that because amazon charges Irish VAT, that Irish customers would not be liable for import fees but obviously I must be wrong? I hate Brexit!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was about to place an order for a book on Amazon UK and just noticed I am being charged a £6.96 import fees deposit! I was under the impression that because amazon charges Irish VAT, that Irish customers would not be liable for import fees but obviously I must be wrong? I hate Brexit!!!

Who was the seller

Who was the seller

Amazon is the seller. I just tried a few more sold by amazon products and I am getting charged import duties on all of them. For reference, I am a prime member and I live in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Amazon is the seller. I just tried a few more sold by amazon products and I am getting charged import duties on all of them. For reference, I am a prime member and I live in Ireland.

I did the same thing but the total is staying the same.

Items are decreasing in price and then when you add the import deposit it brings it up to the same as if it was being delivered to the UK.

Check the price to a UK address and then check it to an Irish address and see if the final price differs.

Is each individual item over 22euro? Try them seperately if not.

I've made about 5 separate orders today on items under 22. Such a waste...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Please link to the item, so we can tease out what's going on.
    Import fees = Irish VAT, in most cases.
    For "normal" items, above €22, you will see the price at checkout going down as UK VAT is being removed, but this new "Import fees" section added, which in nearly all cases is just the Irish VAT being applied. Including on delivery, if you don't have free delivery.

In the case of something that costs 59.99, when you go to checkout the new price will be 49.99 (£10 UK VAT at 20% removed) with 10.50 added under fees (Irish VAT at 21% added). So should be 60.49.
    It's very easy to not see that the pre-tax price has gone down as the UK VAT has been removed and just see the extra "import fees" part. But for most stuff over €22, the price should be the same as last week.
    There will be a few cases where the wrong VAT rate may be applied, but you should get a refund in those cases - the deposit will veer on the side of caution, I imagine. I just tried a more expensive book myself, and yes, a VAT rate of 13.5% was applied. I would very much hope that this would be refunded as I think print books are indeed zero-rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Import fees is Irish vat that you were always charged. Now they have to make it clear.

kneemos wrote: »
    Import fees is Irish vat that you were always charged. Now they have to make it clear.

I didn't think there was VAT applied to books in the UK or ireland but maybe I'm wrong.

None of the books under 22 in my basket reduced in price so it's no good for this.

• Advertisement

On the item page it says the price for the book £46.09 includes UK VAT, but at checkout the price is not changing its staying the exact same £46.09 and then the import duties fees are being added on also. So basically amazon are charging UK VAT and then import duty fees on top of that. I’ve tried adding different sold by amazon items to compare and I’ve tried paying in euro and paying in sterling but I keep getting the same result. The UK VAT is not being removed or reduced at checkout and the import duty tax is being added on to every item. Looks like I’ll be cancelling my prime membership and not ordering from amazon anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Good spot. Monitor/laptop stand on the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My Prime is up for renewal shortly and I can see myself giving it a bit of a wide berth given these changes due to Brexit (we all knew it was coming tbh!).

The problem, from what I see, now seems to be the following:
    - if you have Prime, all is good for buying €22 items and under with free delivery.
    - if you don't have Prime, you're paying delivery on anything under €22 (due to Free Super Saver Delivery only on £25+).

So they have us over a barrel! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

On the item page it says the price for the book £46.09 includes UK VAT, but at checkout the price is not changing its staying the exact same £46.09 and then the import duties fees are being added on also. So basically amazon are charging UK VAT and then import duty fees on top of that. I’ve tried adding different sold by amazon items to compare and I’ve tried paying in euro and paying in sterling but I keep getting the same result. The UK VAT is not being removed or reduced at checkout and the import duty tax is being added on to every item. Looks like I’ll be cancelling my prime membership and not ordering from amazon anymore.

In the specific case of books, this looks like a mistake. Print books are zero-rated, in both jurisdictions, but instead 13.5% is being added for ones above €22. They can't get lower in price, as there is no VAT to take off, they include UK VAT if you like, but that is at 0%.

I've tried multiple books over €22 and a standard 13.5% is being added as the import fees.
    Fingers crossed this gets sorted soon.

Have you tried non-book items that come to over €22? They seem to be working at they should, reducing to the gross price then adding 21% as import fees. Ditto print books under €22, they are remaining at the UK/VAT-free price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Looking at an invoice from the 18th of December, item was sold by Amazon EU S.à.r.l of Luxembourg with an Irish VAT# of IE9990705T via the Amazon.co.uk website and VAT rate of 21% applied. What exactly is the import fee meant to cover if they are already charging Irish VAT?

Looking at products over the €22 when I switch between UK and Irish delivery, the item price isn't reducing by 20% to account for the fact it should now be sold VAT free.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

liamog wrote: »
    Looking at an invoice from the 18th of December, item was sold by Amazon EU S.à.r.l of Luxembourg with an Irish VAT# of IE9990705T via the Amazon.co.uk website and VAT rate of 21% applied. What exactly is the import fee meant to cover if they are already charging Irish VAT?

Looking at products over the €22 when I switch between UK and Irish delivery, the item price isn't reducing by 20% to account for the fact it should now be sold VAT free.

“Import Fee” is simply what they are now calling Irish VAT

Take a pair of Sony XM4 headphones, which are advertised at £305.

Add them to the Cart and you will see:
    - Items: £254.17 (£305 - UK VAT at 20%)
    - Import Fees Deposit: £53.38 (Irish VAT at 21% on £254.17)
    - Order Total: £307.55

So for Amazon sold products over €22, it works out exactly the same as pre-Brexit, no difference at all. You just pay Irish VAT rather then UK Vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

liamog wrote: »

Before Irish VAT was applied and you had to go digging to see how much exactly.
    Now it is clearly stated as an import fee just so there is no confusion and customers know they will not be charged again when it arrives.

When I look at items now while logged into an Irish account all works as it should for items dispatched from and sold by Amazon. The price paid is just slightly above the listed price to account for the 1% extra VAT.

For items not sold by Amazon even if it is fulfilled by Amazon you are forced to pay both UK and Irish VAT.
    I'm not sure why and I'm not sure if that is the way it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

bk wrote: »
    “Import Fee” is simply what they are now calling Irish VAT

Take a pair of Sony XM4 headphones, which are advertised at £305.

Add them to the Cart and you will see:
    - Items: £254.17 (£305 - UK VAT at 20%)
    - Import Fees Deposit: £53.38 (Irish VAT at 21% on £254.17)
    - Order Total: £307.55

So for Amazon sold products over €22, it works out exactly the same as pre-Brexit, no difference at all. You just pay Irish VAT rather then UK Vat.

Thanks for clarifying this. Wondering is worth my while getting prime again if order items dispatched by amazon only.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

harmless wrote: »
    For items not sold by Amazon even if it is fulfilled by Amazon you are forced to pay both UK and Irish VAT.
    I'm not sure why and I'm not sure if that is the way it should be.

I’m not seeing this! I just checked three items sold by a third party company but Fulfilled By Amazon and they all work out correctly, charging only Irish VAT at 21%. No UK VAT charged.

bk wrote: »
    I’m not seeing this! I just checked three items sold by a third party company but Fulfilled By Amazon and they all work out correctly, charging only Irish VAT at 21%. No UK VAT charged.
    Ok I'm mostly seeing it with Chinese sellers which makes sense but makes shopping difficult as it is not marked as such.

But this one is in the UK and if I try a once off order I am charged Irish VAT on top of the UK price that includes VAT.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Field-Trial-Food-Salmon/dp/B003EGHDIO/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=dog+food&qid=1609552889&sr=8-6

Perhaps it's VAT free in the UK but not Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Is each individual item over 22euro? Try them seperately if not.

I've made about 5 separate orders today on items under 22. Such a waste...

What happens if they put them all together now do they charge Vat then

So if its €20 euro for one and you buy another item for €21 and something else for €17

so now you have 3 items but total value of put together which Amazon always do will Now be €58, u hit for vat then ?

No one will know until the 4th when the fist post transition period deliveries go out.

I can't see revenue putting in the effort to screen for this as the €22 exemption is being removed later this year and Amazon will once again add Irish VAT to all orders. Of course I could be wrong but we should know soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

harmless wrote: »
    Ok I'm mostly seeing it with Chinese sellers which makes sense but makes shopping difficult as it is not marked as such.

I think that's what it could be, there was a pair of shoes that were sold by a Chinese seller but fulfilled by Amazon and available on Prime. The item price had VAT @20%; plus an import fee of 21% to cover the Irish VAT. I guess it's just some kinks in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

does customs duties apply if your item is over £150?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    does customs duties apply if your item is over £150?

€150

Per Revenue...

If your goods have:
    • a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of €22 or less you will not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT
    • a customs value of more than €22 you will have to pay VAT
    • an intrinsic value (the value of the goods alone excluding transport, insurance and handling charges) of more than €150 you will have to pay Customs Duty.
    These limits are for the whole delivery, not just one item. You must pay the above duties where applicable, and VAT on alcohol or tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters, regardless of their value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

Basq wrote: »
    My Prime is up for renewal shortly and I can see myself giving it a bit of a wide berth given these changes due to Brexit (we all knew it was coming tbh!).

The problem, from what I see, now seems to be the following:
    - if you have Prime, all is good for buying €22 items and under with free delivery.
    - if you don't have Prime, you're paying delivery on anything under €22 (due to Free Super Saver Delivery only on £25+).

So they have us over a barrel! :D

IIRC it was reduced from £25+ to £20+ for Free Super Saver Delivery at some stage in the last year or two and terms now state:

"For customers in the Republic of Ireland, orders including £20 or more (including local VAT) of eligible items, dispatched by Amazon, from any product category qualify for FREE Delivery."

For non-Prime, they still have us over a barrel unless exchange rate is favourably close and the basket is bang on £20.:rolleyes: Though Amazon showing the delivery charge and then deducting it may be enough to get it caught as part of the customs value.....hmmm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Libera wrote: »
    For non-Prime, they still have us over a barrel unless exchange rate is favourably close and the basket is bang on £20.:rolleyes: Though Amazon showing the delivery charge and then deducting it may be enough to get it caught as part of the customs value.....hmmm!
    Yeah, that's my point alright.

Non-Prime with Super Saver Delivery now feels particularly pointless given you'll be likely be viable for additional fees once you hit it.

Essentially - "Spend £X for Free Delivery! "

* additional charges may apply
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

This might help.
    https://www.moneyguideireland.com/vat-and-online-shopping-in-the-uk-after-brexit.html

AFAIK January the vat free threshold is 19.95 GBP. Which is under the 20 GBP for free shipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Just bought a knife for £9.74, thanks OP!

They're very sneaky with those 10% voucher thingies, went through first at 10.82, had to cancel and redo because I didn't click it a second time in the basket view after clicking for the voucher in the product page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/importing-and-exporting/exchange-rates/index.aspx
    This is going to get interesting. (I know this issue goes away in July).

Does the €22 exemption apply when you place the order or
    when the item hits Irish Customs?

Revenue issue new exchange rates every month.
    They apply for that month.

What happens if you order an a £19.00 item (below the £19.95 for Jan) from Amazon.

The €22 exchange rate changes to £18.50 for February.

I suppose the trick is to get the shipper to declare in €.

Item arrives in February.
    Exemption applies or not?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement