Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

yep, thanks, I saw there were choices and I looked up the other sites and there are a few options. I suppose I am just wondering, is there any point in keeping prime?

For you probably not.

I use Amazon a lot and its worth it for free delivery on small items. I look at it this way I'd pay more in petrol popping out the shops to get stuff. So my logic is that makes the Prime Video for what its worth free.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    You can chose amongst 10-14 different reasons, depending on the category of product. Some of them require you to pay postage, some of them dont.

Obviously if you chose "no longer needed" or "better price available" you will pay the return shipping.

I tend to chose "performance or quality not adequate" which is really pretty subjective so wouldnt be calling that dishonest in fairness. That always gives you free returns (it still works in 2021, just used it yesterday).

There is an optional comment box where you can give more details which i usually do
    so yeah, no real change to return policy

I returned a pair of shoes that I accidentally ordered in the wrong size, in August. I selected "accidental order" as the reason, which is very much me accepting it was my fault and not at all attempting to shift any responsibilitye onto Amazon, yet I was able to return it completely free of charge for a full refund.

I wouldn't expect that reason to qualify for free returns any more, based on Amazon's recent email communication on their updated return policy. Haven't had any reason to test that out yet, however.

I doubt it made any difference whatsoever, but I had already reordered the correct size before I even thought to contact Amazon about the first order.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Was looking at something there now but it doesn't add on any import deposit fee is this right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

i really think People will be put off buying stuff on Amazon UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I used to live in Scotland and about 5 years ago Alec asked a colleague in work to ad me as a family member in his pine, I'm surprised there's been no issues when we are in different countries now, but great for the VAT free items with free delivery these days. I've only moved from Scotland a few months ago so they might spot it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Was looking at something there now but it doesn't add on any import deposit fee is this right ?

Based off of the cost of postage I'm assuming that the item is not sold or even fulfilled by amazon, but a third party seller? If it is coming from outside the EU it would be liable for VAT and possibly Duty depending on the type of item.

torrevieja wrote: »
    i really think People will be put off buying stuff on Amazon UK

what's the great alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The problem there is local Irish (B&M or online) don't offer anywhere near the same range of stuff and generally poor value compared to the same item ordered from the UK.

I buy a lot of computer-type stuff from the likes of Amazon UK and eBay IE/UK. This is going to be significantly more expensive now (if they'll ship here at all given the hassle for sellers too).

I have Prime for the streaming service mostly but I did originally sign up for the free delivery. Nowadays that's mainly elderly dog related stuff like CBD oil. Just ordered it there again. £11.51 for 50 ml, free delivery.
    To order from an Irish supplier is around €28 for 10ml/€39 for 20ml.
    I'll be hanging on to Prime for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

SPAWKER wrote: »

You would have been much better off paying for it by Revolut instead of
    Amazon's currency converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

okidoki987 wrote: »
    You would have been much better off paying for it by Revolut instead of
    Amazon's currency converter.
    Some banks offer the same currency conversion rate as revolut which is very convenient.

But even for banks with poor rates it's sill better than using Amazon's rate.
    Always pay in GBP on Amazon.co.uk

And yes it looks like the order isn't fulfilled by Amazon so it's up to you to take care of the VAT on import.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

glasso wrote: »
    what's the great alternative?

Amazon.de ?
    Amazon.it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Availability of products that I used to commonly buy has fallen off a cliff. Practically nothing is available delivery to ROI

Has destroyed Amazon for Ireland

I've no idea what you're buying, but I've 8 orders coming, all under 22 euor with free delivery. 6 of them I couldn't source locally or were vastly overpriced and now I'm getting an additional 20% off thanks to Brexit VAT rules.
    Hello. New to here and would appreciate some advice.

We have prime which we rarely use on TV but bought some things on Amazon Uk which was good for savings. Not many though. Just went to buy something which we were saving for and this "import fees and deposit" is huge on top of it. We obviously won't buy, is there any point in subscribing to prime anymore? Am not an expert in amazon or the impact brexit has had on fees but I am wondering if any of the regular prime subscribers have any insight into reasons to keep subscribing.

Thanks.

I subscribed to prime for the free delivery, not the other way round. anything I watch on prime, I could get using Kodi for free. It is just a nicer experience to use prime for it.

Between 22 and 150 is basically 1% more VAt than here, but offset by being cheaper. Th only issue is that currently there are delays because of the change.

You can cancel prime and resubscribe later, but if you're not taking advantage of the 20% VAT "discount", then that's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,097 ✭✭✭✭zell12

...Between 22 and 150 is basically 1% more VAt than here, but offset by being cheaper. Th only issue is that currently there are delays because of the change....
    Don't forget the minimum e10 carrier handling charge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

zell12 wrote: »

Not for prime - all costs included.

You're thinking of An Post non-covered deliveries.

Top Tip : If you want to avoid a delivery VAT bill plus a minimum €10 fee from An Post: – Avoid ordering from any UK retailer who doesn’t charge the Irish VAT after Brexit on orders over €22.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Flossy15

Hi, sorry to hijack thread but does anyone know if dog joint supplements are subject to VAT? I was getting these monthly from amazon.co.uk but now they are no longer available unless I use addresspal, they cost approximately €65 including shipping and don’t want to be hit with any extra costs, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Not for prime - all costs included.

You're thinking of An Post non-covered deliveries.

Top Tip : If you want to avoid a delivery VAT bill plus a minimum €10 fee from An Post: – Avoid ordering from any UK retailer who doesn’t charge the Irish VAT after Brexit on orders over €22.

I wonder is there a list of companies that have signed up to collect Irish/EU VAT?

Amazon.de ?
    Amazon.it ?

ok for the occasional purchaser of higher value items to offset the higher postage cost

doesn't sort the issue for the more frequent purchaser of lower value items with prime delivery (no prime from de , it etc for Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

zell12 wrote: »

AnPost have this on their AddressPal page, saying a fee of 3.50 is to be charged, is that purely for AddressPal, or does anyone know if €10 will be a standard charge if not using AddressPal ?

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

Customs:

Customs have a statutory right to examine all parcels coming from outside the EU. It is the Revenue Commissioners who raise these charges and An Post can collect them on their behalf.

From January 1st the UK will also be outside of the EU. All UK and USA deliveries will be subject to Revenue inspection for customs and/or VAT charges.

From this date, a fee of €3.50 will be charged by An Post for customs clearance of parcels imported from countries outside the European Union. This fee is in addition to any duty or VAT payable. Items coming from destinations outside the EU may be subject to delay due to customs examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    AnPost have this on their AddressPal page, saying a fee of 3.50 is to be charged, is that purely for AddressPal, or does anyone know if €10 will be a standard charge if not using AddressPal ?

Customs:

Customs have a statutory right to examine all parcels coming from outside the EU. It is the Revenue Commissioners who raise these charges and An Post can collect them on their behalf.

From January 1st the UK will also be outside of the EU. All UK and USA deliveries will be subject to Revenue inspection for customs and/or VAT charges.

From this date, a fee of €3.50 will be charged by An Post for customs clearance of parcels imported from countries outside the European Union. This fee is in addition to any duty or VAT payable. Items coming from destinations outside the EU may be subject to delay due to customs examination.

I'd say they couldn't justify the 10e fee anymore and have made it more reasonable to the general consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Flossy15 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to hijack thread but does anyone know if dog joint supplements are subject to VAT? I was getting these monthly from amazon.co.uk but now they are no longer available unless I use addresspal, they cost approximately €65 including shipping and don’t want to be hit with any extra costs, thanks!

Seems some are some aren't (I get two one has VAT the other doesn't), but I doubt there will be any change in total cost.

Sorry I was wrong they both have VAT but one I just ordered recently was £12 on the site but I was only charged £10 because the VAT was removed (Amazon Prime transaction).

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

nephster wrote: »
    In the specific case of books, this looks like a mistake. Print books are zero-rated, in both jurisdictions, but instead 13.5% is being added for ones above €22. They can't get lower in price, as there is no VAT to take off, they include UK VAT if you like, but that is at 0%.

I've tried multiple books over €22 and a standard 13.5% is being added as the import fees.
    Fingers crossed this gets sorted soon.

Have you tried non-book items that come to over €22? They seem to be working at they should, reducing to the gross price then adding 21% as import fees. Ditto print books under €22, they are remaining at the UK/VAT-free price.

VAT error on books seems to be now sorted. VAT free no import fees on book orders of any value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

2 of my 5 VAT free items shipped on Saturday have now arrived via the AnPost letter carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

sweetie wrote: »
    I'd say they couldn't justify the 10e fee anymore and have made it more reasonable to the general consumer.

the €10 fee includes the €6.50 standard delivery fee charged.

so 6.50 + 3.50 handling charge

so anything that goes through addresspal will always have at the very minimum the €10 fee and higher when vat is factored in if the value > €22

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

TheBigEvil wrote: »

Customs:

Yes. Where An Post are acting the the agent for the recipient to Revenue, any package that attracts import charges will also incur an An Post handling fee which is currently 1% of the value of the parcel or €10, whichever is the highest amount.

Maybe off-topic a little but can anyone explain why items like this Amazon Brand coffee would now be "currently unavailable" while you can still get it sent to a UK address?

it's not as if it's UK coffee.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CGXZMT3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe off-topic a little but can anyone explain why items like this Amazon Brand coffee would now be "currently unavailable" while you can still get it sent to a UK address?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CGXZMT3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115796615&postcount=164

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Weirdly, that coffee is still active in my S&S.

They did remove items which they could no longer ship anymore however.

Does coffee come from an animal? :confused:

other coffee bean products can be ordered.

Does coffee come from an animal? :confused:

No, it comes from plants that could carry pesticides etc. So there would now be further checks on it as it would need to be imported into the EU (as in my quoted example) and therefore Amazon are no longer shipping it abroad as they would seemingly not make a profit.

You can still get many such items with S&S for some reason though as Basq mentioned. Some of my S&S items are still shipping even though I can't buy them individually.
    other coffee bean products can be ordered.

Likely depends on where they are grown.

• Advertisement

Likely supposition more likely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement