Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

bk wrote: »
    “Import Fee” is simply what they are now calling Irish VAT

Take a pair of Sony XM4 headphones, which are advertised at £305.

Add them to the Cart and you will see:
    - Items: £254.17 (£305 - UK VAT at 20%)
    - Import Fees Deposit: £53.38 (Irish VAT at 21% on £254.17)
    - Order Total: £307.55

So for Amazon sold products over €22, it works out exactly the same as pre-Brexit, no difference at all. You just pay Irish VAT rather then UK Vat.

Is there any DUTY applicable for goods over €22.00 or is it a matter of depends on the goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

In early December I ordered a leather goods item at a cost of £52 (Sterling). I am a Prime member so all would normally have been well - I would simply have received the item at the Euro equivalent cost.

However, the item is not due for delivery until about a week from now. My worry is that even though I bought and paid for the item well before Brexit kicked in, they might look for extra money because it will not be delivered until next week.

When I ordered it, I knew it would take a long time to deliver (from China) but I don't care about that. The only thing I now care about is that I will be facing further charges.

Anyone know what might happen in a case like this? Where the order & payment is made before January but the delivery is in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Benedict wrote: »
    Anyone know what might happen in a case like this? Where the order & payment is made before January but the delivery is in January?

I presume they don't care. They'll process it on the date it arrives in Ireland, not the date it was bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭thegift06

Found this on reddit :D

158wyx35fw961.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25,092 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Delivery date is what matters, you will be charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Prices going up in weird, unpredictable, and arbitrary ways.

Not just Brexit. China has bought up a significant proportion of the world's shipping containers. Container fees have gone up 1000% according to some of my Dad's suppliers. He deals with a lot of furniture and plastics importers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Caranica wrote: »
    Not just Brexit. China has bought up a significant proportion of the world's shipping containers. Container fees have gone up 1000% according to some of my Dad's suppliers. He deals with a lot of furniture and plastics importers.

I think thats due to a shortage of containers which has been going on for a while now https://theloadstar.com/container-shortages-the-biggest-disrupter-where-are-all-the-empty-boxes/ .

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

In early December I ordered a leather goods item at a cost of £52 (Sterling). I am a Prime member so all would normally have been well - I would simply have received the item at the Euro equivalent cost.

However, the item is not due for delivery until about a week from now. My worry is that even though I bought and paid for the item well before Brexit kicked in, they might look for extra money because it will not be delivered until next week.

When I ordered it, I knew it would take a long time to deliver (from China) but I don't care about that. The only thing I now care about is that I will be facing further charges.

If your goods are being shipped from China, Brexit is absolutely irrelevant. They will be assessed for customs charges on arrival in Ireland, just as they would have been had they arrived here in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Swampy wrote:
    Placed 4 small under 22 euro orders at different time/days at least a week ago. Only now have they been dispatched and are now grouped together in one delivery. I am expecting to now be stung for VAT and fees. My advice is to wait until your stuff is dispatched before placing another order.

Make up new first names with your surname for as many deliveries as you want. I have a parcel on the way for Elvis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Make up new first names with your surname for as many deliveries as you want. I have a parcel on the way for Elvis :)

Hopefully the parcel won't arrive 'all shook up' (sorry couldn't resist!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Interestingly I ordered a hand tool under 22euro from Amazon.co.uk, sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L., did not pay any VAT, British/Irish/EU, tracking shows Package has shipped Leipzig, DE.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Delivery times are getting worse for me. Looking at wireless headphones on Amazon:
    Addresspal in England Sat 9th of January
    Parcel Motel in NI Mon 11th of January
    Parcel Motel in Dublin Wed 20th of January
    Home in Mayo Tue 2nd of February

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

RogerThis wrote: »
    Delivery times are getting worse for me. Looking at wireless headphones on Amazon:
    Addresspal in England Sat 9th of January
    Parcel Motel in NI Mon 11th of January
    Parcel Motel in Dublin Wed 20th of January
    Home in Mayo Tue 2nd of February

Is Parcel Motel operational?
    I thought the Address delivery facility to NI was currently On Hold/Suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

glog wrote: »
    No, they'll reject it / return to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

glog wrote: »

Not in operation, just showing delivery times as an example.

It's crazy that it takes an extra 13 days comparing Dublin to the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Currently with Amazon.co.uk with Prime Membership, was thinking of Changing to Amazon.de , Can i use My Prime Membership on
    Amazon .de or is this seperate .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

torrevieja wrote: »
    Currently with Amazon.co.uk with Prime Membership, was thinking of Changing to Amazon.de , Can i use My Prime Membership on
    Amazon .de or is this seperate .

Not transferable.
    Amazon.de Prime is only free shipping to Germany/Austria.

Really guess its buy under 22 or pay delivery on Amazon.de, Any chance they might do a Amazon.ie with Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Really guess its buy under 22 or pay delivery on Amazon.de, Any chance they might do a Amazon.ie with Prime

You don't need to only buy under €22. Amazon charge Irish VAT so there is no difference to before (apart from the long delivery times) on 99% of items sold or fulfilled by Amazon.

VG31 wrote: »
    You don't need to only buy under €22. Amazon charge Irish VAT so there is no difference to before (apart from the long delivery times) on 99% of items sold or fulfilled by Amazon.

What price can i purchase up to?

Guess the Prime Now is just Free Late Delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Why? For the vast majority of stuff, the Amazon.co.uk price is still the same for us as before Brexit. Go to Amazon.de if it's cheaper with delivery, or if the item isn't available from the UK site (as with food products for example). But for most things the price is the same. It's just that stuff under €22 is now *cheaper*.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Whatever amount you like. For some items over €150 Irish duty may be payable, but it will show you that (along with the 21% Irish VAT) in checkout. Many items will have zero duty. And on Amazon, it will be all upfront. Nothing extra to pay on delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

There's no limit. There *might* be duty on some items over €150 but I haven't managed to find any yet. This will be included in the event that there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Kav_Piero

Is anyone else noticing that the expected delivery dates of nearly everything seems to considerably longer now via Prime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

I think for a lot of companies it was abundantly clear that this would be case, with regards to tariffs, in a no deal scenario. However, I think the deal agreed lulled them into a false sense of security whereby they thought it would be business as usual from a goods point of view with the exception of some additional customs requirements.

Shocking really.

Stupid really as Rules Of Origin are:

A. part of every single trade agreement that doesn't create a customs union (and they've known for ages that there wasn't going to be a customs union in the EU-UK trade agreement)

and

B. pretty fecking obvious: seriously, who in their right mind would have thought that a trade agreement between the EU and the UK would include Chinese-made goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭honda boi

Kav_Piero wrote: »
    Is anyone else noticing that the expected delivery dates of nearly everything seems to considerably longer now via Prime?

Yep ordered stuff last week and expected delivery is 22nd of January.
    Went to order the same thing again to check delivery dates and it has the 22nd January.
    Seems like they could be shipping alot of stuff headed for Ireland in one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

honda boi wrote: »
    Yep ordered stuff last week and expected delivery is 22nd of January.
    Went to order the same thing again to check delivery dates and it has the 22nd January.
    Seems like they could be shipping alot of stuff headed for Ireland in one go?

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

My last order, placed on the 2nd, shipped today (7th), and an expected delivery date of 18th. Price on ordering was £131.37 in total and now it's £127.23

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:£88.87
    Postage & Packing:£4.96
    Total Before VAT:£93.83
    VAT:£19.70
    Total:£113.53
    Promotion Applied:-£6.00
    Import Fees Deposit£19.70
    Grand Total:£127.23

Price change isn't the item as I bought the last and it's price shot up, and the breakdown is more expansive. I think VAT and Import fees were shown together and not 100% as it's under the €150 and the tariff should probably be 0% in any case so I might get that deposit back. Origin is Italian company with manufacture in Romania. Price was good in either case but cheaper is always better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Varik wrote: »
    My last order, placed on the 2nd, shipped today (7th), and an expected delivery date of 18th. Price on ordering was £131.37 in total and now it's £127.23

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:£88.87
    Postage & Packing:£4.96
    Total Before VAT:£93.83
    VAT:£19.70
    Total:£113.53
    Promotion Applied:-£6.00
    Import Fees Deposit£19.70
    Grand Total:£127.23

Price change isn't the item as I bought the last and it's price shot up, and the breakdown is more expansive. I think VAT and Import fees were shown together and not 100% as it's under the €150 and the tariff should probably be 0% in any case so I might get that deposit back. Origin is Italian company with manufacture in Romania. Price was good in either case but cheaper is always better.

Hard to work out what's happening there 😕
    Maybe it's to do with where the order is shipped from ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

I've a package ordered on 31 December, due 09 January. Cleared customs 03 January and no progress since so I'm definitely thinking they're holding off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement