Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Just cancelled my prime... May be forced to save ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

deegs wrote: »
    Just cancelled my prime... May be forced to save ��

Likewise

• Registered Users Posts: 25,097 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aquos76 wrote: »
    This is a complete joke now alright, I purchased a couple of packs of these tea bags at £3.50 back in Nov with free shipping, I just checked there now
    You could get em in Dealz for €3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

My first 0% VAT order shipped yesterday afternoon with an estimated delivery of 11 January by AnPost and the first status updates are in:

10:13 PM
    Completed customs clearance process
    Stretford, GB

10:12 PM
    Initiated customs clearance process
    Stretford, GB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Ordered about 6 items separately on prime all under €22. Noticed 4 of them have now dispatched in one package... will see how this pans out 🀔. Value of the package will be above €22.

• Advertisement

I cancelled my Amazon Prime on 31 December. Ditto Parcel Motel.
    Just checked Ebay and this VAT and customs duties also applies to 2nd hand goods.

No more mindless online shopping for things I don’t always need .
    From now on it’s buy locally or on Irish websites . I’ve also used Amazon.de a bit but you pay a lot for postage .

It’s like going back in time , quite depressing, but I guess I’ll save a lot of money.
    I wonder do many online shoppers realize the huge impact of all this yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Just checked Ebay and this VAT and customs duties also applies to 2nd hand goods.

From now on it’s buy locally or on Irish websites . I’ve also used Amazon.de a bit but you pay a lot for postage .

It’s like going back in time , quite depressing, but I guess I’ll save a lot of money.

ebay uk for used, is hard to take, Ive pucked up some great stuff over the years there,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Examples above of stuff not being available are food items. Maybe the additional cross border checks on food means it now only makes sense to ship these items in bulk.

My first 0% VAT order shipped yesterday afternoon with an estimated delivery of 11 January by AnPost and the first status updates are in:

10:13 PM
    Completed customs clearance process
    Stretford, GB

10:12 PM
    Initiated customs clearance process
    Stretford, GB

And now AnPost has send me a text telling me that the item is "due for delivery in up to 3 working days".

And on the AnPost website it says:

03 January 2021 09:08
    DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

So clearly Amazon is just covering their backside with the 11 January forecast.

Let's see when it shows and if it's really without VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ordered about 6 items separately on prime all under €22. Noticed 4 of them have now dispatched in one package... will see how this pans out ��. Value of the package will be above €22.

This is the real test case and possibly where Amazon's system will fail. If you're asked for cash, I'd suspect their CS will sort things out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Just bought an item, £9.99 list price, £8.32 at the checkout, due for delivery on the 19th Jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

johnfás wrote: »
    Ordered about 6 items separately on prime all under €22. Noticed 4 of them have now dispatched in one package... will see how this pans out ��. Value of the package will be above €22.

I posted this in another thread but here is my advice:

Add your home address to your Amazon account multiple times. If you don't want stuff bundled together, just choose a 'different' address to ship it to. Their system won't group any orders together if they have different addresses selected.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

zell12 wrote: »
    You could get em in Dealz for €3

Yeah, but the are generally out of stock. That offer back in November was buy one pack get one free at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Went to buy two rear calipers for my car from Amazon.uk - Calipers £78, Shipping Free(prime), Import Dutie £22 = €109 total. Ordered as it was still cheaper than anywhere in Ireland - Micksgarage etc.

Then went onto Amazon.de just to check - Calipers €57, Shipping €22 = €79.

Cancelled the UK one and ordered from .de.

It'll take longer to arrive but that's a significant saving. Exact same item too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ordered a few bits under €22 also. Have some stuff coming to my home address and some to my work address. Have my parents address available also so can just send things to different locations to make sure they are spread out.

gally74 wrote: »
    ebay uk for used, is hard to take, Ive pucked up some great stuff over the years there,

me too, it was like rummaging through a really good charity shop and getting great bargains. I used to buy a lot of clothes (a few particular labels I love) for next to nothing. All gone now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any ideas why this isn't working for me ?

Order Summary
    Items: EUR 19,20
    Postage & Packing: EUR 6,74
    Import Fees Deposit: EUR 5,45
    Total: EUR 31,39
    Promotion Applied: -EUR 6,74
    Exchange rate guarantee fee: EUR 0,53
    Order Total: EUR 25,18

Discodog wrote: »

Order Summary

Link to the item?

Also, always pay in GBP, works out cheaper.

Order Summary

You are over the allowance; shipping charges are to be included in the amount!

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

You are over the allowance; shipping charges are to be included in the amount!

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

Well spotted :) So the deal only works with Prime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Internet shopping (uk) has just got a lot more expensive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Phil.x wrote: »
    Internet shopping (uk) has just got a lot more expensive.

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Any problems doing this?

Prime for students is free for 6 months and 3.99 a month after that.
    If no students in the family, ask neighbour or friends if they have a student they could "lend" you and get them to sign up and register the account at your address.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/amazonprime?_encoding=UTF8&ms3_c=00988bbd2b8ed94fb0015ae8c81134f7&planOptimizationId=WLPStudentMonthlyEligiblePlans&primeCampaignId=studentWlpPrimeRedir&ref_=st_wlp_pr_redir

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The problem there is local Irish (B&M or online) don't offer anywhere near the same range of stuff and generally poor value compared to the same item ordered from the UK.

I buy a lot of computer-type stuff from the likes of Amazon UK and eBay IE/UK. This is going to be significantly more expensive now (if they'll ship here at all given the hassle for sellers too).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Any problems doing this?

Prime for students is free for 6 months and 3.99 a month after that.
    If no students in the family, ask neighbour or friends if they have a student they could "lend" you and get them to sign up and register the account at your address.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/amazonprime?_encoding=UTF8&ms3_c=00988bbd2b8ed94fb0015ae8c81134f7&planOptimizationId=WLPStudentMonthlyEligiblePlans&primeCampaignId=studentWlpPrimeRedir&ref_=st_wlp_pr_redir

You can't share benefits with another person on the student account, it can only be regged to one address. Doubt you'd find a student willing to forgo their benefits for you.

You can share benefits with another adult with the full normal price account though. Maybe you could go halves on membership with someone.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201910370

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I buy a lot of computer-type stuff from the likes of Amazon UK and eBay IE/UK. This is going to be significantly more expensive now (if they'll ship here at all given the hassle for sellers too).

Bare in mind that "computer stuff" doesn't incur a duty charge so it might remain the same price as ever on amazon IF they continue to sell it.

The problem is how Addresspal will handle shipments. Will they automatically apply a "processing fee" even if there is nothing to pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Just bought some records under 22 quid and are about 20% cheaper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

The problem is how Addresspal will handle shipments. Will they automatically apply a "processing fee" even if there is nothing to pay ?
    No idea.
    The problem with domestic UK delivery to Address Pal is there will probably be no documentation on the outside of the parcel declaring the value of the contents inside.

How will address pal calculate if VAT is owed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

You can't share benefits with another person on the student account, it can only be regged to one address. Doubt you'd find a student willing to forgo their benefits for you.

You can share benefits with another adult with the full normal price account though. Maybe you could go halves on membership with someone.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201910370

Assume a student is considered one who attends a third level college?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement