Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I was looking at a few items aswell, one unless it directly from amazon will it ship to my address whereas by another seller the same product via amazon it will not ship is this due to the flight/ship restrictions between the uk and Ireland? Not not just brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jacksonsarm

Basq wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic but have an item due to arrive on 11th which hasn't shipped yet, but Prime is due to renew on the 7th.

The item is only £7 so fecked if I'm paying for shipping.

If I cancel Prime before it ships, will they tack on shipping to that order?

No. Im always cancelling and renewing prime as I need on monthly basis and never had this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

me too, it was like rummaging through a really good charity shop and getting great bargains. I used to buy a lot of clothes (a few particular labels I love) for next to nothing. All gone now. :(

I'm in the same boat, used to get great deals on clothes from Reiss and Whistles on ebay UK. Might be worth trying address pal in future. Obviously not as cheap as before, but often still better value than buying new or in the sales.

starlit wrote: »
    Do amazon deliver via an post or hermes or another courier?

They use many couriers, including their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

They use many couriers, including their own.

Am I the only person that was getting next day delivery from Amazon the week before Christmas?
    Nothing via dpd or anpost but by Amazon themselves. I noticed the tracking numbers changed to a GAxxxxx number and I would get a map and tracking counting down the deliveries until mine.
    I have a feeling customs won't be an issue or at least hope with their new setup.

• Advertisement

benmeade wrote: »
    Am I the only person that was getting next day delivery from Amazon the week before Christmas?
    Nothing via dpd or anpost but by Amazon themselves. I noticed the tracking numbers changed to a GAxxxxx number and I would get a map and tracking counting down the deliveries until mine.
    I have a feeling customs won't be an issue or at least hope with their new setup.

Most of Dublin and the surrounding areas now use that Amazon's own couriers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

benmeade wrote: »
    Given that you made the effort to cover a street name on your screenshot for privacy - one can still see your exact location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Yes as the total value of the package is over 22eur.

If you split them out into individual orders (I know, such a waste!) then you shouldn't get hit with the VAT but to get the full benefit you need prime/free delivery as delivery costs are included in the package value.

Thanks for that bfa i am prime but many the time i ordered before something on a monday and something on a tuesday and on a wednesday with different delivery days and Amazon have a habit of putting them altogether and to me this could be an issue and you could get stung because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

Given that you made the effort to cover a street name on your screenshot for privacy - one can still see your exact location.

Cheers, do ya think they could come to take my Milwaukee tape eek! ;-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

corkie wrote: »
    Any reason? Your not naming the site? Do they also have powerbanks which can't be shipped by Amazon.

Hi, no reason, just didn't want to be seen to be pushing a particular site. I got one of the chargers (a sumvision) from Amazon through NI address with Parcel Motel before and needed another one.

https://www.freetv.ie/usb-c-chargers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Rather than using variants of the same address to ensure the items come in seperate packages, couldn't we just use the gift option at checkout?

I don't have much experience with this but surely this puts the item in it's own package at no extra charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

honda boi wrote: »
    Ordered 2 separate orders under €22.
    Added my address twice and shipped one order to one of them and other to the "other" address.
    Hopefully not all shipped together.

I suspect there might be some confusion about shipping, and you don't need to do that. You might order three items separately, each under €22. They might arrive all in one actual delivery. Customs will trust Amazon who is collecting correct VAT and duties and so doesn't require the level of inspection as for items that require those to be collected here.

Put it this way, imagine you order an under 22 euro item each from three different retailers in the UK. The boxes arrive in the An Post depot around the same time. It's not like customs can say - hello what have we here, 3 Civic parts totalling 66 Euro?; need to charge the Vat on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

A simple box of Lindt chocolates at £3.50 is no longer available (put in a UK post code and they are).

Because milk chocolate contains a dairy product, and products of animal origin (meat, fish, eggs, dairy products) imported into the EU from non-EU countries require masses of paperwork, including Export Health Certificates.

The cost per consignment (in this case your individual order) just for the Export Health Certificate alone is £150.00 plus VAT (£180.00 total) in the UK.

Forget about ordering food products from the UK unless you're ordering large, wholesale quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

starlit wrote: »
    Do amazon deliver via an post or hermes or another courier?

An An Post worker in the post office told me they lost the amazon account when I was returning an item at the Edmondstown depot week before Christmas.
    No issue with the return but they aren't or won't be delivering via an Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

Ogham wrote: »
    VAT on the delivery - even though it's free they have to VAT the "value" of it.
    If you were a Prime member the total price would be 126.04

Cheers. Cancelled Prime as wasn't sure I would use it going forward. So if I ordered the watch I wouldn't be hit with any additional charges when it hits Ireland?

An An Post worker in the post office told me they lost the amazon account when I was returning an item at the Edmondstown depot week before Christmas.
    No issue with the return but they aren't or won't be delivering via an Post.

Heard that too. And the few deliveries I had before Christmas were from Amazon drivers themselves i.e. saying "here's your Amazon parcel" in a I'm representing Amazon type of way.

I wonder will Amazon open an amazon.ie website in the near future (currently this url goes to the UK one).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Amazon has a new logistics center in Dublin from where they organize delivery in a Ireland via different companies depending on your location.

They get the goods into that center (now also via air not only road) but at present they do not have this as warehouse/fulfillment center. Just to facilitate to arrange delivery of parcels coming from Amazon Warehouses/Fulfillment centers across EMEA.

If you are in Dublin than they might use a subcontractor to deliver the goods themselves (Parcelking being an example) using Amazon last mile technology (route planing etc.).

Outside Dublin it's mainly AnPost but also other couriers.

Amazon is planing a similar center and last mile delivery for Cork.

So AnPost lost some work specific to Dublim but does still delivery in the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

liamog wrote: »
    The only catch with Amazon and long delivery times, I often see them wait a long time to dispatch the item. Transit time remains the same but it just doesn't leave the Amazon warehouse.

I found that delay magically disappeared when I had Prime. I assume they prioritise Prime orders, then get around to the rest. It's another way they promote Prime membership.

Cameraman wrote: »
    I found that delay magically disappeared when I had Prime. I assume they prioritise Prime orders, then get around to the rest. It's another way they promote Prime membership.

Am on Prime at the moment, a lot of items showing up as won't be delivered for over a week, anyone know what is going on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Am on Prime at the moment, a lot of items showing up as won't be delivered for over a week, anyone know what is going on here?

The consensus here is that Amazon is conversative with the dates due to lack of experience with custom clearance and shipping to Ireland post Brexit.

If you look through the last couple of post you can see that post dispatch the speed seams to be normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Because milk chocolate contains a dairy product, and products of animal origin (meat, fish, eggs, dairy products) imported into the EU from non-EU countries require masses of paperwork, including Export Health Certificates.

The cost per consignment (in this case your individual order) just for the Export Health Certificate alone is £150.00 plus VAT (£180.00 total) in the UK.

Forget about ordering food products from the UK unless you're ordering large, wholesale quantities.
    Thats the cat going unfed. Used to order amazon cat food for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

I ordered something on Sunday morning delivery date said Friday 8th but email this morning item dispatched due Wednesday 6th .

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

This has been a superb find OP, made some great additions to the boardgame collection - best prices you'll see anywhere. Make hay until July 1st. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Prunty wrote: »
    This has been a superb find OP, made some great additions to the boardgame collection - best prices you'll see anywhere. Make hay until July 1st. Thanks

Off topic - you have my interest what did you get?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I can't find an up to date discussion thread on it but... I was a customer of amazon prime (via amazon.co.uk) and had prime video off the back of it. It seems that now to have prime video in RoI, you need to sign up separately with primevideo.com. So I've cancelled prime with UK (full refund they tell me) and signed up to primevideo.com for €6 a mth. Anybody else have to do this?

I've a firestick, have had it couple of years and have used it without issues. But since above change prime video only works via the app on the stick now and not on the homepage... where content shows. Anyone else experienced this? know how to resolve?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Contacted Amazon yesterday to see if there was going to be an amazon.ie platform and was told that any confirmation would be released through Amazon.Co.uk

Contacted Amazon yesterday to see if there was going to be an amazon.ie platform and was told that any confirmation would be released through Amazon.Co.uk

Hard to know if that was giving a sense that there might be, or just a bland statement that if there was that's how they'd announce it. It would seem logical at this point.

The amazon.ie url goes to .co.uk at the moment - did that always happen or is it something new?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Ordered 2 clothing items off Amazon.co.uk last week and app is showing they have been dispatched from Leipzig, Germany. Is this standard procedure and does it mean they won't come shipped via the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Hard to know if that was giving a sense that there might be, or just a bland statement that if there was that's how they'd announce it. It would seem logical at this point.

The amazon.ie url goes to .co.uk at the moment - did that always happen or is it something new?

I don't know , think that was always available.
    I'm weary of hassle with customs , it would be like ordering from gersey and you're at the discretion of post office.
    I'd imagine it would put people off ordering on Amazon because the convenience of gone , I don't think it's all pricing for amazon that gets them customers ,I think it's convenience of reviews and delivery time aswell , it is for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I ordered something Saturday, originally showing delivery on 16th, now 9th but that's still a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement