Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Leslie91 wrote:
    I can't find an up to date discussion thread on it but... I was a customer of amazon prime (via amazon.co.uk) and had prime video off the back of it. It seems that now to have prime video in RoI, you need to sign up separately with primevideo.com. So I've cancelled prime with UK (full refund they tell me) and signed up to primevideo.com for €6 a mth. Anybody else have to do this?

Prime is still great value for free deliveries. Combined with no vat for under 22, it begs the question, why cancel?
    Leslie91 wrote:
    I've a firestick, have had it couple of years and have used it without issues. But since above change prime video only works via the app on the stick now and not on the homepage... where content shows. Anyone else experienced this? know how to resolve?

I use a VPN on my Firestick. Still have UK prime video.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I can't find an up to date discussion thread on it but... I was a customer of amazon prime (via amazon.co.uk) and had prime video off the back of it. It seems that now to have prime video in RoI, you need to sign up separately with primevideo.com. So I've cancelled prime with UK (full refund they tell me) and signed up to primevideo.com for €6 a mth. Anybody else have to do this?

I've a firestick, have had it couple of years and have used it without issues. But since above change prime video only works via the app on the stick now and not on the homepage... where content shows. Anyone else experienced this? know how to resolve?
    No, you don't need to sign up for Prime Video separately (unless you don't require the other Prime benefits). You just need your Prime Video region set to Ireland.

Also, that is the 'correct' behaviour of your Firestick. It's designed for use in the UK only. Either use the Prime Video app as a workaround or use a DNS proxy or VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

So is it if your prime and the value is under £22 sterling ex vat or inc uk vat ?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So is it if your prime and the value is under £22 sterling ex vat or inc uk vat ?

Its €22 or £19.95 and depends as some items are different for odd reasons but mostly the UK VAT comes off but no Irish VAT is applied so essentially VAT free.

Eample SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB microSDXC Memory Card is £12.88 but to Ireland with Prime it comes out as £10.82

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm weary of hassle with customs , it would be like ordering from gersey and you're at the discretion of post office.

I don't expect there will be any hassle with customs if ordering from Amazon. Any customs, etc. required will be charged up front by Amazon and as long as you are ok with the price at checkout, that should be all.

First of all Amazon now handle their own logistics and deliveries in the Dublin area for most packages, so obviously for anyone in Dublin, there isn't going to be any danger with an post charging customs, because they are no longer involved with the delivery at all anymore.

Even outside of Dublin, Amazon is An Post's largest customer by far and Amazon has special arrangements with An Post. I've no doubt amazon has told An Post that it will handle all customs and that any amazon packages likely pass through An Posts network with no extra handling.

Here is what An Post themselves say:
    https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Receiving/Delivering-after-Brexit
    We have negotiated with 95% of retailers we deliver for in Great Britain to apply any charges when you purchase your goods online, so no action is required by you before delivery.

I find it very hard to believe that Amazon don't fall in the above category.

Sure, it is less convenient now overall. Some items you can't buy at all now (above mentioned Chocolate) and other items you don't really know the full price until the checkout page, which makes cross shopping harder. But overall it could have been worse IMO (hard Brexit).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

Off topic - you have my interest what did you get?

Hit Z Road - for £8, The Crew for £11 and an expansion (+ the board extension) for Scythe. Amazon is usually the best price for games and with 20 per cent off and free Prime delivery there is excellent value to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

We have negotiated with 95% of retailers we deliver for in Great Britain to apply any charges when you purchase your goods online, so no action is required by you before delivery.

Has this been anyone's experience?
    Apart from amazon and ebay ,nowhere I've tried is charging import charges at checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Does Amazon have to be the seller of the item to get it vat free under £19.95 ? Or will it work for 3rd party sellers that amazon do the free delivery for?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Does Amazon have to be the seller of the item to get it vat free under £19.95 ? Or will it work for 3rd party sellers that amazon do the free delivery for?

Works some of the time with 3rd party sellers provided its fulfilled by Amazon.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

Worked for me with at least one item from a 3rd party seller, got the vat reduction and free delivery which I surprised by. Pretty sure the seller was uk based too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes just worked for me with a 3rd party seller but fulfilled by Amazon. Item was £8.99 and I was charged £7.49 with free Prime shipping.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ok, so I think Amazon is also correctly applying the customs fees at checkout, at least on their own items.

I was trying to think of an item over €150 that would attract customs, many items over that amount, like mobile phones, headphones, laptops, game consoles, etc. are rated 0% for customs.

But then I thought of TV's, it seems they are rated as 14% for customs.

So I tried adding a TV that costs £319 on Amazon and at checkout it looks like so:

Items: £265.83
    P&P: £0
    Import Fees Deposit: £100.86
    Order Total: £366.69

And this seems to work out correctly, the "import fees" is basically 14% customs + 21% VAT:

(265.83 + 14%) + 21% = 366.685902

So for some items, over €150 they maybe more expensive that they would have been before Brexit. But it depends on the customs rate, some things like heaphones that I looked at earlier are rates 0% for customs, so no change.

Basically you always need to double check on the final checkout page and check if that suits you or not.

At the moment I'm not worried about getting caught for extra fees when Amazon orders arrive in Ireland. But it still might be worth cross shopping between amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, amazon.com and of course other retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Quackster wrote: »
    No, you don't need to sign up for Prime Video separately (unless you don't require the other Prime benefits). You just need your Prime Video region set to Ireland.

Also, that is the 'correct' behaviour of your Firestick. It's designed for use in the UK only. Either use the Prime Video app as a workaround or use a DNS proxy or VPN.

Thanks for the reply. Until Jan 1 the stick worked fine for me here in Ireland without a VPN. Are you saying since Brexit... the sticks we bought via amazon.co.uk should no longer work here, unless one uses a VPN?

By worked fine I mean both 'home' and the prime video app worked... now only content via the app plays ok on the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

I'm going to try this chrome extension. When you look at an item on .co.uk it lists the price on all the amazon sites in Europe.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/amazon-best-price-europe/iaakgomiepekffchlipoegcgahfcdbad?hl=en

I doubt it will be enough of a price difference to be cheaper without the free delivery of .co.uk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

harmless wrote: »
    I'm going to try this chrome extension. When you look at an item on .co.uk it lists the price on all the amazon sites in Europe.
    Hagglezon is similar and has an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Apart from amazon and ebay ,nowhere I've tried is charging import charges at checkout.

The only UK site I know of that charges Irish VAT other than Amazon is the computer store Overclockers.

I wonder are An Post including British retailers that have Irish websites like M&S, Currys and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

Amazon has a new logistics center in Dublin from where they organize delivery in a Ireland via different companies depending on your location.

They get the goods into that center (now also via air not only road) but at present they do not have this as warehouse/fulfillment center. Just to facilitate to arrange delivery of parcels coming from Amazon Warehouses/Fulfillment centers across EMEA.

If you are in Dublin than they might use a subcontractor to deliver the goods themselves (Parcelking being an example) using Amazon last mile technology (route planing etc.).

Outside Dublin it's mainly AnPost but also other couriers.

Amazon is planing a similar center and last mile delivery for Cork.

So AnPost lost some work specific to Dublim but does still delivery in the rest of the country.

I can confirm parcelking are serving Meath and Louth. They operate 2 deliveries per day and now 7 days a week.

Its very possible to have 2 items out for the same day one in morning and one in afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Tried a couple of clothes shops - Topman + Topshop as far as checkout just to see what happened - and no changes to UK price were showing for Irish orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

While it's understandable that Amazon won't ship some items to Ireland now, the way they indicate that is frustrating to say the least. "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." is totally misleading and could leave customers waiting for them to be restocked, because the same message appears for items genuinely out of stock with no ETA, whereas in case of products no longer shipped to Ireland it actually means that no sellers deliver them here. Switching between UK and Irish delivery addresses to verify if that is the case is hardly a handy solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭manutd2007

does anyone know whats the craic with buying from ebay, seem to have a huge import tax added now, is it over for buying from ebay now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

manutd2007 wrote: »
    does anyone know whats the craic with buying from ebay, seem to have a huge import tax added now, is it over for buying from ebay now

A lot of the sellers on E Bay have business accounts so that may explain the tax.
    Private sellers won't have the taxes.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    A lot of the sellers on E Bay have business accounts so that may explain the tax.
    Private sellers won't have the taxes.

That doesn't sound right.

Private sellers have the same tax added as business sellers.
    Even on second hand items as it's assumed that VAT has never been paid anywhere in the EU on a used item from the UK.(except NI, you pay no import fee on items from NI)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jacksonsarm

Even on second hand items as it's assumed that VAT has never been paid anywhere in the EU on a used item from the UK.(except NI, you pay no import fee on items from NI)

If my granny sends me a second hand jumper from the uk will I have to pay import taxes?

If my granny sends me a second hand jumper from the uk will I have to pay import taxes?

No because she can mark it as a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

manutd2007 wrote: »

Ebay would want to sort themselves out, they are still including uk results in european union searches. its pretty complicated to filter just for results for a particular country using advanced search

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

bk wrote: »
    Ok, so I think Amazon is also correctly applying the customs fees at checkout, at least on their own items.

I was trying to think of an item over €150 that would attract customs, many items over that amount, like mobile phones, headphones, laptops, game consoles, etc. are rated 0% for customs.

But then I thought of TV's, it seems they are rated as 14% for customs.

So I tried adding a TV that costs £319 on Amazon and at checkout it looks like so:

Items: £265.83
    P&P: £0
    Import Fees Deposit: £100.86
    Order Total: £366.69

And this seems to work out correctly, the "import fees" is basically 14% customs + 21% VAT:

(265.83 + 14%) + 21% = 366.685902

So for some items, over €150 they maybe more expensive that they would have been before Brexit. But it depends on the customs rate, some things like heaphones that I looked at earlier are rates 0% for customs, so no change.

Basically you always need to double check on the final checkout page and check if that suits you or not.

At the moment I'm not worried about getting caught for extra fees when Amazon orders arrive in Ireland. But it still might be worth cross shopping between amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, amazon.com and of course other retailers.

According to TARIC, the rate for a TV is indeed 14% from a "third country", but 0% from the UK:

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20210104&Area=&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=8528724000&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

My next online order arrived today, dispatched from Crumlin distribution warehouse however items all had stg tags

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

TheDriver wrote: »
    My next online order arrived today, dispatched from Crumlin distribution warehouse however items all had stg tags

I had a delivery from next today as well and it was from Belfast .. I nearly sure it’s the first one I got from Belfast .
    I wonder was yours crumlin, Belfast ?

harr wrote: »
    I had a delivery from next today as well and it was from Belfast .. I nearly sure it’s the first one I got from Belfast .
    I wonder was yours crumlin, Belfast ?

It is. :)

https://www.next.ie/en/customs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Are we talking about Vat here or Import duty ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement