Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Are we talking about Vat here or Import duty ?

Usually just VAT that Ebay lists as part of the Import Charge.
    The list of items from the UK that have customs duty applied is fairly small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Until Jan 1 the stick worked fine for me here in Ireland without a VPN. Are you saying since Brexit... the sticks we bought via amazon.co.uk should no longer work here, unless one uses a VPN?

By worked fine I mean both 'home' and the prime video app worked... now only content via the app plays ok on the stick.
    Did you not get the email last week?

We noticed you have been watching Prime Video content from outside the UK and we want to notify you of upcoming changes to your experience. These are a result of the changing applicability of the EU regulation on cross border portability of online content services when the United Kingdom’s post-Brexit transition period ends. As a result of this, UK customers such as yourself will no longer have access to the full UK catalogue while traveling to EU countries, including Ireland starting 1st January 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

manutd2007 wrote: »
    does anyone know whats the craic with buying from ebay, seem to have a huge import tax added now, is it over for buying from ebay now

just be careful buying stuff off ebay if the product is not a brand.

i bought 4 things from ebay from China. kids toys for xmas. all 4 were junk. so bad you wouldnt see them in a shop in ireland.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Until Jan 1 the stick worked fine for me here in Ireland without a VPN. Are you saying since Brexit... the sticks we bought via amazon.co.uk should no longer work here, unless one uses a VPN?

By worked fine I mean both 'home' and the prime video app worked... now only content via the app plays ok on the stick.
    Yeah, they worked here without issue before Brexit (as long as your Prime Video location was set as the UK) as Amazon is pretty lax in allowing the unrestricted use of your home Prime Video catelogue throughout the EU.

But once the UK left, they geoblocked UK Prime Video in other EU countries and, as you've discovered, Irish Prime Video won't work probably with UK firesticks. But if you can get over not being able to play from the home screen and having to use the Prime Video app instead, then that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,614 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hi, no reason, just didn't want to be seen to be pushing a particular site. I got one of the chargers (a sumvision) from Amazon through NI address with Parcel Motel before and needed another one.

https://www.freetv.ie/usb-c-chargers/

I hope you used the old boards.ie discount code (BOARDS) for maximum bargain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Quackster wrote: »
    Yeah, they worked here without issue before Brexit (as long as your Prime Video location was set as the UK) as Amazon is pretty lax in allowing the unrestricted use of your home Prime Video catelogue throughout the EU.

But once the UK left, they geoblocked UK Prime Video in other EU countries and, as you've discovered, Irish Prime Video won't work probably with UK firesticks. But if you can get over not being able to play from the home screen and having to use the Prime Video app instead, then that's it.

I didn't realise they geoblocked the UK content, what a disaster! There is literally nothing decent available to watch now.

Hopefully there will be a relatively simple "workaround"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Indeed, you're correct. Check label again and it's Crumllin so not Dublin.
    That link doesn't work by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

tadgho wrote: »
    Ordered 2 clothing items off Amazon.co.uk last week and app is showing they have been dispatched from Leipzig, Germany. Is this standard procedure and does it mean they won't come shipped via the UK?

Standard procedure. I had one item being dispatched from Italy, to UK and then sent to Ireland.

If you had bought from amazon.de then it could likely bypass the UK. I had a few items from .de and the details would say left Germany and the next update would be arrived at Dublin,IE...

harmless wrote: »
    No because she can mark it as a gift.

from what I read even gifts will not be exempt from Import Tax? I saw this somewhere only yesterday.

On a separate note I was trying to complete a few purchases on EBay today as an experiment and ALL had considerable Import tax added on so I didn't go ahead.

from what I read even gifts will not be exempt from Import Tax? I saw this somewhere only yesterday.
    Yep, only gifts under €45 value are exempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

Quackster wrote: »
    Yep, only gifts under €45 value are except.

What's the current limit on gifts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I hope you used the old boards.ie discount code (BOARDS) for maximum bargain?

Haha actually I did - I googled for a code and found that! Thought it was years old but took about 2 quid off :)

TheDriver wrote: »
    Indeed, you're correct. Check label again and it's Crumllin so not Dublin.
    That link doesn't work by the way

Works fine for me. :)

harmless wrote: »
    What's the current limit on gifts?
    Apologies, typo. That's the current limit for gifts from outside the EU. Over that and the usual VAT & duty rules apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Works fine for me. :)

I get a next page but it's a page not found internal page

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have 4 items ordered between 26th and 29th, all initially had delivery dates of 4-6th Jan. All were ordered separately and as it was pre jan 1st I paid normal prices, ie items under €22 included vat. Anyway all 4 items were dispatched in one package on the 2nd with ETA delivery date of 11th Jan. I have just received delivery there now and what is strange is only the two electrical items were listed on the delivery label with their prices attached to them. No mention on the other two items

744463-E3-C785-4257-BE06-41038-E81-FB85.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Wow I ordered a bunch of things on the 1st - 2nd Jan and none of them have been sent with estimated delivery dates 15th to 19th January!

I'm on Prime and these delays are a joke tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Wow I ordered a bunch of things on the 1st - 2nd Jan and none of them have been sent with estimated delivery dates 15th to 19th January!

I'm on Prime and these delays are a joke tbh.

Yep exactly the same as me. I have half a dozen items ordered some since Saturday (2nd) and none have moved yet and its the 5th now :mad:

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

While not VAT related, the Irish Times say today that Amazon have stopped free returns from Ireland too (another previous benefit of Prime)?

While not VAT related, the Irish Times say today that Amazon have stopped free returns from Ireland too (another previous benefit of Prime)?

I never send anything back anyway.
    Might be a good thing cause these morons who buy something then send it back if they don't like it (even though there's nothing wrong with it) probably increases the prices for everyone else.

• Advertisement

Might be a good thing cause these morons who buy something then send it back if they don't like it (even though there's nothing wrong with it) probably increases the prices for everyone else.

I've only ever done it when they offer free returns, mostly on clothing from what used to be the case, probably as sizing can be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

There's going to be a few weeks while they adjust to a completely new way of doing business, the terms of which went down to the wire.

I think we can give them a bit of leeway for a month or two.

QikBax wrote: »
    There's going to be a few weeks while they adjust to a completely new way of doing business, the terms of which went down to the wire.

Surely it's customs' problem and not Amazon's?

I would have thought they just throw your items into a box and ship as normal.

QikBax wrote: »

We are back to it being an Amazon picking problem nothing to do with Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭PreCocious

We are back to it being an Amazon picking problem nothing to do with Brexit.

They may be suffering loss of employees due to Covid and finding it hard to fill those low-paid, high-pressure jobs.

PreCocious wrote: »
    They may be suffering loss of employees due to Covid and finding it hard to fill those low-paid, high-pressure jobs.

They may have also had staff taken on just for Christmas leave, but funny how I can get net day delivery still in the UK.

PreCocious wrote: »

Do they not use q lit of robots?

I can see an amazon parcel that had customs checks yesterday lunchtime still stuck and hasn't moved on since....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Irish Times are wrong (again).
    No change to returns policy .

• Registered Users Posts: 37 .nosferatu.

How is that any different to returning an item you don't like to a bricks and mortar shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Ordered a new Iron yesterday, still have my parcel motel address on there so was showing next day delivery. Then when I change it to my home address in Ireland it said, no delivery date available, we'll email you after order is placed with one.

So I placed order to my Irish address and received an email a few hours later saying delivery date with of 29th Jan. This is too long for me so I've updated the address to my Addresspal address and it is now down for next day delivery again. However, I am now going to have to pay customs fees and be delayed further, if I go down the route?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement