Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

How is that any different to returning an item you don't like to a bricks and mortar shop?

That's just as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Ogham wrote: »
    Irish Times are wrong (again).
    No change to returns policy .

You are wrong (again?).

This is an email everyone received in early December. You can only return something for free that is an error/defective now. Everything else including change of mind will cost to return.

As you have placed an order on Amazon.co.uk and selected an EU delivery address in the past, we wanted to let you know that from 1 January 2021, when the Brexit transition period ends, you’ll see some changes when you shop on Amazon.co.uk and select an EU delivery address. These changes could include:

- VAT (or the regional equivalent, if applicable, https://www.amazon.co.uk/vatrates) being due in the country of delivery, or your package may be subject to customs duties, taxes and fees (“Import Fees”)
    - the collection of VAT, or an estimation of Import Fees (“Import Fee Deposit” https://www.amazon.co.uk/ifd), which may result in a price change at checkout.

We will continue to accept eligible returns. If the reason for return is the result of an error (e.g. if the item is defective / damaged / incorrect), any costs incurred for the return will be paid by Amazon. Otherwise, any costs incurred for the return (including transport costs, as well as any associated import fees or customs where applicable) will be payable by the person returning the goods https://www.amazon.co.uk/returnshelp.

We hope this helps and we see you again soon.

Regards,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Availability of products that I used to commonly buy has fallen off a cliff. Practically nothing is available delivery to ROI

Has destroyed Amazon for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Doodah7 wrote: »
    You are wrong (again?).

This is an email everyone received in early December. You can only return something for free that is an error/defective now. Everything else including change of mind will cost to return.

As you have placed an order on Amazon.co.uk and selected an EU delivery address in the past, we wanted to let you know that from 1 January 2021, when the Brexit transition period ends, you’ll see some changes when you shop on Amazon.co.uk and select an EU delivery address. These changes could include:

- VAT (or the regional equivalent, if applicable, https://www.amazon.co.uk/vatrates) being due in the country of delivery, or your package may be subject to customs duties, taxes and fees (“Import Fees”)
    - the collection of VAT, or an estimation of Import Fees (“Import Fee Deposit” https://www.amazon.co.uk/ifd), which may result in a price change at checkout.

We will continue to accept eligible returns. If the reason for return is the result of an error (e.g. if the item is defective / damaged / incorrect), any costs incurred for the return will be paid by Amazon. Otherwise, any costs incurred for the return (including transport costs, as well as any associated import fees or customs where applicable) will be payable by the person returning the goods https://www.amazon.co.uk/returnshelp.

Regards,

Amazon.co.uk

What other reason would you need for returning something?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,614 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I had a battery charger ordered on the 3rd, dispatched on the 4th, then inexplicably turn around on the 5th and come back as "undeliverable" with my refund pending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

My VAT free items are still in Dublin since Sunday.

AnPost sending me the the text on Sunday that it will be delivered within 3 business days makes me hope it is here tomorrow.

What other reason would you need for returning something?

People buy something, try it out, don't like it and return it. They change their mind. They see it cheaper elsewhere. They have buyer's remorse. It doesn't do what they thought. They decide they have no real use for it. And loads of others.

Pick one (or all).

Edit: of course I see what you mean but it depends on one's level of honesty I suppose!!

People buy something, try it out, don't like it and return it. They change their mind. They see it cheaper elsewhere. They have buyer's remorse. It doesn't do what they thought. They decide they have no real use for it. And loads of others.

Pick one (or all).

Buyers remorse was never a reason for free returns to Amazon.

People got away with it yes but the actual reasons you can use for a free return haven't changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You are wrong (again?).

Regards,

Amazon.co.uk

Did they allow free returns on unwanted items before Jan 1st ?
    I thought they didn't (I could be wrong - probably am !)

Buyers remorse was never a reason for free returns to Amazon.

People got away with it yes but the actual reasons you can use for a free return haven't changed.

Yes it was. Under EU distance selling regulations, you could change your mind up to 14 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

Yes it was. Under EU distance selling regulations, you could change your mind up to 14 days.

Before if you changed your mind within the cool off period on an item it was €9 to return it via An Post

Amazon.co.uk still offer the 14 day cooling off period but how much extra do you have to pay for the default return shipping?

I sent a few items back that were damaged and never saw any option to return for free for change of mind.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yes you are entitled to such, there is no provision under EU distance selling regs requiring the seller to reimburse your return postage costs however.

I sent a few items back that were damaged and never saw any option to return for free for change of mind.

I've sent many items back and always get a label to print out, then I just drop it off at the post offices with the shipping cost already covered if the item was faulty or €9 taken off my refund if it was a change of mind.

I don't understand what is changing about this. Will the return fee for change of mind increase much?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Did they allow free returns on unwanted items before Jan 1st ?
    I thought they didn't (I could be wrong - probably am !)

No, I noticed the change on that 5/6 months ago, on their notification emails.
    You could return it for change of mind, but you paid the return.
    You can't return for change of mind to a b&m shop, unless they specifically allow it, so I suppose Amazon thought they didn't need to either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

My VAT free items are still in Dublin since Sunday.

AnPost sending me the the text on Sunday that it will be delivered within 3 business days makes me hope it is here tomorrow.

Same, one item. Got text Sunday from An Post. Amazon says delivery by today at 8pm but says still in Dublin. If I didn't have it by 10:30 this morning then not getting it. Looks like it'll be tomorrow. In Limerick.

You are wrong (again?).

Regards,

Amazon.co.uk

Looks like i was right :)

Brexit has not changed the postal charges of Amazon returns from Ireland.
    I have checked the wording from October 2020 and compared to current wording of this page and nothing has changed regarding paying delivery charges on refunds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201819200

Also - it is possible to reclaim import VAT and duty on returned items.
    See - https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/how-to-claim-a-refund-of-customs-duty-and-value-added-tax-vat.aspx

So the Irish Times was wrong (again)
    :)

harmless wrote: »
    I've sent many items back and always get a label to print out, then I just drop it off at the post offices with the shipping cost already covered if the item was faulty or €9 taken off my refund if it was a change of mind.

I don't understand what is changing about this. Will the return fee for change of mind increase much?

No change .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Jofspring wrote: »
    Same, one item. Got text Sunday from An Post. Amazon says delivery by today at 8pm but says still in Dublin. If I didn't have it by 10:30 this morning then not getting it. Looks like it'll be tomorrow. In Limerick.

Amazon status just changed for mine to Monday (11 January).

Wow....

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There hasn't been for a while but folk were still getting away with it by dishonestly declaring the return reason as damaged/defective etc.

• Advertisement

So the Irish Times was wrong (again)
    :)

Well Amazon were also wrong in the email they sent.
    So if the times got their info direct from Amazon you could expect it to be wrong.

Perhaps there are so really unusual circumstances where customs could be due on a return?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭PreCocious

They may have also had staff taken on just for Christmas leave, but funny how I can get net day delivery still in the UK.

It's funny alright, innit ? Maybe they're picking to support their larger market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I bought 3 small items off amazon.co.uk last week, total combined cost was just over £20. First one dispatched from the UK yesterday and tracking shows it passed through UK customs check, took 3 mins to pass and is showing as continuing on it's way. Cost of this single item is £8.99. The other two items are still not dispatched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Is anyone getting stung for duties for items over €150?

I bought some a jacket from a UK seller for £190.
    It's made in Belgium though, so I presume it's exempt..

Or maybe it's made in China, but the company is Belgian.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Quackster wrote: »
    There hasn't been for a while but folk were still getting away with it by dishonestly declaring the return reason as damaged/defective etc.

You can chose amongst 10-14 different reasons, depending on the category of product. Some of them require you to pay postage, some of them dont.

Obviously if you chose "no longer needed" or "better price available" you will pay the return shipping.

I tend to chose "performance or quality not adequate" which is really pretty subjective so wouldnt be calling that dishonest in fairness. That always gives you free returns (it still works in 2021, just used it yesterday).

There is an optional comment box where you can give more details which i usually do
    so yeah, no real change to return policy

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Hello. New to here and would appreciate some advice.

We have prime which we rarely use on TV but bought some things on Amazon Uk which was good for savings. Not many though. Just went to buy something which we were saving for and this "import fees and deposit" is huge on top of it. We obviously won't buy, is there any point in subscribing to prime anymore? Am not an expert in amazon or the impact brexit has had on fees but I am wondering if any of the regular prime subscribers have any insight into reasons to keep subscribing.

Thanks.

Hello. New to here and would appreciate some advice.

We have prime which we rarely use on TV but bought some things on Amazon Uk which was good for savings. Not many though. Just went to buy something which we were saving for and this "import fees and deposit" is huge on top of it. We obviously won't buy, is there any point in subscribing to prime anymore? Am not an expert in amazon or the impact brexit has had on fees but I am wondering if any of the regular prime subscribers have any insight into reasons to keep subscribing.

Thanks.

What's the item ?(link would be good).
    Import fees are gonna be Irish VAT and possible duty - but duty is only payable on certain things.

What's the item ?(link would be good).
    Import fees are gonna be Irish VAT and possible duty - but duty is only payable on certain things.

Hi, thanks for reply. Combination of both.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WC1GCP3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PGPJL0BBLHLX&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077JX7GBL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2PGPJL0BBLHLX&psc=1

Order Summary
    Items: £489.14
    Postage & Packing: £0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: £181.73
    Order Total: £670.87

Is the import fee new and excluded from what would have been the price before brexit? As in, would I just be paying the same? Thanks.

^^^^^

Might be worth getting that from amazon.de and paying the postage.

Is this the same device? https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0834R8G1J/

• Advertisement

^^^^^

Might be worth getting that from amazon.de and paying the postage.

Is this the same device? https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0834R8G1J/

yep, thanks, I saw there were choices and I looked up the other sites and there are a few options. I suppose I am just wondering, is there any point in keeping prime?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement