Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

connachta wrote: »
    Closing to the final one

43 Senior, 24 forwads, 19 backs

Ahh. Hold off on the tables untilil their announced at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

macslash wrote: »
    Ahh. Hold off on the tables untilil their announced at least.

It clarifies where we should be by positions, that's useful for any fan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

As well as Cronin South African Dylan Smith is a potential target and Carolan is linked to Glasgow Warriors https://the42.ie/5461251

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Buckley is NOT a better scrummager than Cronin

its actually one of Buckleys weaker points and ill posit that its the main reason he hasnt been capped yet.

Opinions .... Isn't it what makes discussions interesting. I'd rate Buckley's scrum work but not his tackling, carrying or lineout lifting while I'd consider Cronin decent enough at scrumtime but better than Buckley carrying and around lifting probably not a huge amount between them in other areas.

I've never seen anyone suggest Buckley isn't capped because of his scrum work, but then I'm no expert just an arm chair critic.☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Opinions .... Isn't it what makes discussions interesting. I'd rate Buckley's scrum work but not his tackling, carrying or lineout lifting while I'd consider Cronin decent enough at scrumtime but better than Buckley carrying and around lifting probably not a huge amount between them in other areas.

I've never seen anyone suggest Buckley isn't capped because of his scrum work, but then I'm no expert just an arm chair critic.☺️

Buckleys scrum work is good but isnt better than Cronins and id see carrying is def more of a strength for Buckley but theyre slightly different ball carriers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connacht have pretty much consistently had a good solid scrum ever since Buckley became a regular in the side so I'd hazard a guess that he's a pretty decent scrummager.

Carolan to Glasgow would be a strange one. Yes a different environment but it's still the same competition. Thought he might have gone to England or France.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah, the notion that Buckley's scrummaging is a weakness doesn't really hold water at all when the scrum has consistently been rock solid across the league, challenge cup and champions cup against some massive packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Six Connacht players in squad of 34 for u20 six nations.

Eoin De Buitléar, Darragh Murray, Oisin McCormack and Donnacha Byrne in the forwards with Cathal Forde and Shane Jennings in the backs.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/06/10/murphy-names-34-player-ireland-squad-for-u20-six-nations/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Bazzo wrote: »
    Yeah, the notion that Buckley's scrummaging is a weakness doesn't really hold water at all when the scrum has consistently been rock solid across the league, challenge cup and champions cup against some massive packs.

He was just unlucky to be born when he was.

If he'd been a years older and competing with Marcus Horan, Reggie Corrigan and Bryan Young, he'd have been an international. Instead he overlapped with Cian Healy, Jack McGrath and Dave Kilcoyne.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Six Connacht players in squad of 34 for u20 six nations.

Eoin De Buitléar, Darragh Murray, Oisin McCormack and Donnacha Byrne in the forwards with Cathal Forde and Shane Jennings in the backs.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/06/10/murphy-names-34-player-ireland-squad-for-u20-six-nations/

Guessing Murray óg is over that injury then.

Not a bad showing of representation from Connacht.

• Advertisement

Great podcast from the three lads from sligo, conans first and second cap is hilarious,

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/the-sligo-way/id1542755307?i=1000524849055

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Guessing Murray óg is over that injury then.

Not a bad showing of representation from Connacht.

This year's 20s were the strongest group in quite a while, really talented bunch. Hopefully that feeds through to the senior team in the coming years.

We had a decent crop ~5 years ago with Kerins, Claffey, Gallagher etc. but sadly haven't reaped the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Get him in the Irish squad this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Wegians89 wrote: »

I actually thought the same about Hanson. At least Hanson has played at super rugby level but this guy is still very inexperienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

Also good to note this sentence at the end of the announcement
    Connacht’s recruitment remains ongoing and further announcements will be made in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Wegians89 wrote: »

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Zzippy wrote: »
    :confused:

Wasn’t a serious comment

b.gud wrote: »
    Also good to note this sentence at the end of the announcement

Even if Cronin or Smith are confirmed we are still short at loosehead and tighthead. Bealham will be with ireland and may not be back at the start of the season due to being rested. That leaves Aungier and McCoy. There has to be another prop in the pipeline.

Happier than ever.
    I've a really really good feeling about S.Bolton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some talk on Munsterfans that Munster have found some cash to make an offer to Cronin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some talk on Munsterfans that Munster have found some cash to make an offer to Cronin as well.

It wouldn't make any sense at this stage. There's 5 LHs signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Irish Times reporting it.

. Clearly though, they are not keen to see him play for a rival Irish province and in light of Connacht’s interest will explore the possibility of finding the funds to re-sign him.

What a shower of ****s if that report is accurate. Looseheads coming out their ears, so much so they release him, but as soon as a cash-strapped province with an injury crisis shows interest they're down the back of the sofa looking for more money to match our bid? I hope Cronin tells them where to go.

It wouldn't make any sense at this stage. There's 5 LHs signed up.

makes sense for them to re-re-sign him and loan Connacht another LH they consider not as good.
    Will be tasty when, as for Aungier/Salanoa, they'll be caught having made the wrong choice

Hopefully Cronin weighs up the fact that Munster were happy enough to cut ties a few months back with the chance to move to Connacht with a realistic shot to be vying for the starting jersey for the next 3 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I could see this all as trying to sweeten his Top 14/London Irish negotiations but this seemed too good to be true from the initial rumours sadly.

Rumour according to Bernard Jackman is that we've signed Greg McGrath from Leinster (in addition to chasing Cronin etc)
    I could see this all as trying to sweeten his Top 14/London Irish negotiations but this seemed too good to be true from the initial rumours sadly.

Wouldn't be downbeat just yet. It's not over til the fatties sing

Rumour according to Bernard Jackman is that we've signed Greg McGrath from Leinster (in addition to chasing Cronin etc)

Wouldn't be downbeat just yet. It's not over til the fatties sing

Or till the fatties sign !!

McGrath is in for Kenny not for Buckley/McAlister

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zzippy wrote: »
    Irish Times reporting it.

What a shower of ****s if that report is accurate. Looseheads coming out their ears, so much so they release him, but as soon as a cash-strapped province with an injury crisis shows interest they're down the back of the sofa looking for more money to match our bid? I hope Cronin tells them where to go.

This sounds like bollocks tbh. The point was made by Munster when Zebo was signed that the budget had to be stretched. I can't see them suddenly finding space to sign Cronin when he's already deemed to be surplus to requirements.

Advertisement