Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

This sounds like bollocks tbh. The point was made by Munster when Zebo was signed that the budget had to be stretched. I can't see them suddenly finding space to sign Cronin when he's already deemed to be surplus to requirements.

If Connacht have made an offer Munster cannot increase on the bid only match it. I think its just the usual agent games trying to get him the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Gillian Gallagher retiring. Devastated for him, an incredible underage player who never got a crack at senior rugby. Such a shame, we don't produce too many prospects of his calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Gillian Gallagher retiring. Devastated for him, an incredible underage player who never got a crack at senior rugby. Such a shame, we don't produce too many prospects of his calibre.

Real shame, best of look to him with whatever he does next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

I see Peter McCabe is leaving Bristol, wouldn't be a bad shout for a 1 year contract if he was interested in coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

b.gud wrote: »
    I see Peter McCabe is leaving Bristol, wouldn't be a bad shout for a 1 year contract if he was interested in coming back

Never has been up to that level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭GillLebowski

connachta wrote: »
    Never has been up to that level

Up to what level? The level that he was good enough for us to use as injury cover for basically 3 seasons? Yes, that would definitely explain that he's never been up to the level we need :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Peter McCabe would be good squad addition but to replace Buckley, which Connacht really need to do, especially with McAllister also retiring, need someone like Cronin.

Did anyone watch virtual fanzone with new coaches?

Tried to have a look today but YouTube/Connacht have it age restricted and in order to verify my age want credit card or ID, f..k that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,637 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Did anyone watch virtual fanzone with new coaches?

Tried to have a look today but YouTube/Connacht have it age restricted and in order to verify my age want credit card or ID, f..k that.

:D

what in hell do those connacht coaches be getting up to that their clips are age restricted?? the baby oil bill for connacht must be huge !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Roux has published an interview with Cian Tracey in the independent. Don't subscribe to the independent due to not wanting to support the hate Francis and Fitzgerald spew so I unfortunately can't read but the byline alone makes it seem a good read.

• Advertisement

Congrats to the lads on the call ups for the summer internationals, especially delighted for Boyle Daly and Blade hopefully they will all get capped. Does anyone know if Thornbury is injured? (I know he missed last couple of games for us) After the season he had I thought he might get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

testtech05 wrote: »
    Congrats to the lads on the call ups for the summer internationals, especially delighted for Boyle Daly and Blade hopefully they will all get capped. Does anyone know if Thornbury is injured? (I know he missed last couple of games for us) After the season he had I thought he might get in.

Fairly sure he is injured, very unlucky as I think he would have made the squad otherwise.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Fairly sure he is injured, very unlucky as I think he would have made the squad otherwise.

I was assuming so based on his performances this season, very poor timing for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I was assuming so based on his performances this season, very poor timing for him!

Hard to imagine that Wycherley would be selected ahead of him. He must be injured, Maloney I'm fairness has had a decent few games this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Saw a mention on twitter that he had his arm in a sling recently, so assume he is out through injury and not selection. His form this season has really deserved a call-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

The new Pro16 format is going to make Connachts efforts to make playoffs/European cup much tougher…

Details announced tomorrow but from what is being speculated now it seems Connacht will be in Irish pool with other provinces. 4 pools with teams from each country (Scotland Italy pool too), pool winners into quarter finals and then top four teams not qualified as pool winners from combined league table also into playoffs and European cup apparently.

Play teams in your pool twice and everyone else once, 18 games in the league. A third of Connachts fixtures will be interpros.

Leinster are obviously going to win pool barring freak stuff so only hope is to be top four in combined table, which Munster Ulster three Saffer teams, second team from Wales Scotland who don’t win their pool will all be chasing also….

Basically 8 horse race for four spots. Might need 12 wins out of 18 to get it and Connacht have the joy of playing the three best teams in the current league at least twice as opposed to everyone else facing them once…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

The new Pro16 format is going to make Connachts efforts to make playoffs/European cup much tougher…

Details announced tomorrow but from what is being speculated now it seems Connacht will be in Irish pool with other provinces. 4 pools with teams from each country (Scotland Italy pool too), pool winners into quarter finals and then top four teams not qualified as pool winners from combined league table also into playoffs and European cup apparently.

Play teams in your pool twice and everyone else once, 18 games in the league. A third of Connachts fixtures will be interpros.

Leinster are obviously going to win pool barring freak stuff so only hope is to be top four in combined table, which Munster Ulster three Saffer teams, second team from Wales Scotland who don’t win their pool will all be chasing also….

Basically 8 horse race for four spots. Might need 12 wins out of 18 to get it and Connacht have the joy of playing the three best teams in the current league at least twice as opposed to everyone else facing them once…

The Scottish/Italian group is the most frustrating of the lot. How is that comparable to the Irish pool?

We’ve just as good odds of qualifying through the Challenge Cup if South Africans get into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords...

We've definitely drawn one of the shorter straws as a result of the structure, but in it's old form the league was dying a slow death. If we want to compete, we just need to get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

RonnieL wrote: »
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords...

We've definitely drawn one of the shorter straws as a result of the structure, but in it's old form the league was dying a slow death. If we want to compete, we just need to get better.

And I think you can see with some of the younger lads let go. There seems to be a feel that you need to be stepping up quicker to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

We wanted to retain all home interpros so it's as much on the 4 provinces as the organisers. This is unfortunately the big drawback for wanting a more competitive and financially viable league but as said by RonnieL it's up to Connacht to make that step-up.

More money hopefully allows for better signings and underage structures. Tougher games against higher quality teams will get more eyeballs on matchdays.

This is the end of Connacht in Champions Cup
    Let's be clear about that

Leinter will qualify 99% of the time
    Munster and Ulster will at times (not often) surpass SA teams + Cardiff, Scarlets and Scots who are hugely and unfairly favoured by the format
    And we won't see Toulouse or Bristol ever again

"Arrangements" to come all over the place between teams from the same country

If Pro16 wants to limit that, no derbies should be scheduled after March in money time

This is the end of Connacht in Champions Cup
    Let's be clear about that

Leinter will qualify 99% of the time
    Munster and Ulster will at times (not often) surpass SA teams + Cardiff, Scarlets and Scots who are hugely and unfairly favoured by the format
    And we won't see Toulouse or Bristol ever again

Need to come in top four of three South African teams Munster Ulster and maybe the second Scottish/Welsh teams if they improve (it has been a while since either country had two good teams). Not easy by any stretch but not impossible either.

Well it doesn’t come into force until next season anyway so Connacht have this season and very likely next season in the European Cup.

After that need to come in top four of three South African teams Munster Ulster and maybe the second Scottish/Welsh teams if they improve (it has been a while since either country had two good teams). Not easy by any stretch but not impossible either.

2 saffers will hopefully "neutrelize" each other

But 2 welsh and 2 scots will march on Italians/Dragons again and again

that make 6 plus Leinster

Ulster OR Munster, just 1 of the 2, needs to beat us in the table,

will happen 99% of the time

we're just back in 2003 and everyone in Ireland applaudes

2 saffers will hopefully "neutrelize" each other

But 2 welsh and 2 scots will march on Italians/Dragons again and again

that make 6 plus Leinster

Ulster OR Munster, just 1 of the 2, needs to beat us in the table,

will happen 99% of the time

we're just back in 2003 and everyone in Ireland applaudes

I edited my post above, they can qualify from this season on it seems.

The structure is definitely unbalanced but Connacht already had extra games against the Irish teams and managed to qualify despite this.

I would be very surprised if there was four Welsh and Scottish teams qualifying. Connacht just need to focus on themselves, 12 wins out of 18 should be enough I guess and that’s a realistic aim if they cut out the inconsistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

If it legitimises the tournament a bit and we're not constantly looking at schedules wondering when we might get 5 against a B team then I'll take the disadvantage. Winning the Challenege Cup should be a legitimate goal for us anyway. What we produced this year was poison anyway and its a personal opinion but I took no real pride in finishing second, compared to other years like the Cardiff win at home that scraped us into the Champions Cup so we need to rebuild our rep as a team that wins all their home games and then go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Haha is it Connacht Conspiracy season again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Haha is it Connachta Conspiracy season again?

FTFY

Advertisement