Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,635 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Haha is it Connacht Conspiracy season again?

more like the connacht pearl clutching season....

"wont some one think of the children poor westerners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I don't see anyone fretting too much.

On balance, playing Zebre x2 and Dragons x2 is going to fair better to those teams. But Connacht just need to get better. Otherwise we're in the same class as those 2 and the other teams are saying they're at a disadvantage playing us x2.

We've proven we can do it. We just need to be more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

connachta wrote: »
    This is the end of Connacht in Champions Cup
    Let's be clear about that

Leinter will qualify 99% of the time
    Munster and Ulster will at times (not often) surpass SA teams + Cardiff, Scarlets and Scots who are hugely and unfairly favoured by the format
    And we won't see Toulouse or Bristol ever again

Going to be pretty difficult to qualify from now on alright but it is what it is. Just have to get on with it. Any structure that doesn't have every team playing every other team home and away is going to have inequalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Is the new structure for a defined duration or just next year?

Zeugnis wrote: »
    Is the new structure for a defined duration or just next year?

committed to next 5 years at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Looking forward to the new format. The interpos this season had a marked improvement and it could create great rivalry between the 4 provinces. You only get better by playing against the best teams so we just have to suck it up and beat them more regularly.

On a side note has any work started at the Sportsground or is it going to start soon ? You would think with Covid restrictions lifting they might start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

sydthebeat wrote: »
    committed to next 5 years at least

So everyone knows it's unfair but everybody accomodates with a poor smile? I don't get it, guys.

Hope we'll be back to the home and away competition
    Pro12 can happen again
    Probably when, starving for any Champions Cup year, Dragons, Zebre, Ospreys and Connacht will be disbanded

Very very sad day for the underdogs. We may be, as many wished and wish secretly, just wiped out. They'll say we "had our chances". Omitting it's harder to beat Leinster than Zebre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

So everyone knows it's unfair but everybody accomodates with a poor smile? I don't get it, guys.

Pro12 can happen again
    Probably when, starving for any Champions Cup year, Dragons, Zebre, Ospreys and Connacht will be disbanded

Very very sad day for the underdogs. We may be, as many wished and wish secretly, just wiped out. They'll say we "had our chances". Omitting it's harder to beat Leinster than Zebre

So the only solution for the underdogs to survive is to play weaker opposition? Not concentrate on beating as many teams put before you as you can and try to improve?

Okay then.

[QUOTE=Tomtom364;117429
    107]So the only solution for the underdogs to survive is to play weaker opposition? Not concentrate on beating as many teams put before you as you can and try to improve?

Okay then.[/QUOTE]

No it's to play THE SAME opposition

not having an added handicap

No it's to play THE SAME opposition

not having an added handicap

But you are saying those other teams are easier and thus its not fair?
    So you would prefer for Connacht to play those teams just as much (aka weaker opposition) and get more wins that way rather then just improve and beat the teams put before them.

And lets be honest like, Connacht are more able to take on Leinster, Munster & Ulster as is, I don't exactly think its accurate to refer to them in such a low regard, they were second in their conference this season for gods sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Pro12 can happen again

There are plenty of clubs who survive without the European cup. Not that I’m giving up on qualifying - the Italians and Scots will all take points off each as will the Welsh. It will be four winners, Ireland 2, SA 2 which leaves two spots and I would have it a relatively fair fight in terms of odds with the other two Irish and South African teams the leading contenders.

More important for Connachts future is trying to get the stadium built. I imagine that will be a struggle to be honest even if €20 million from Government is still in place it was costing €30 million. The balance may not be available, would hope Connacht at least start the work if the government funding is still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The premise of these reforms is partly to improve the currency of the competition i.e. not to be viewed as second fiddle to Europe. The number of regular season games is being cut for a reason: The international window games paint a picture of the competition as a development league. Broadcasters and filthy casuals aren't interested.

The South Africans, with their big guns as opposed to their Super Rugby castoffs, are bringing in money and eyes to the tournament. It can hopefully grow into a prestigious tournament in its own right.

the irony in that statement is planetary !!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Look how awful it is

Say the final table was
    Leinster
    Bulls
    Stormers
    Sharks
    Munster
    Connacht
    Ulster
    Lions
    Cardiff
    Scarlets
    Ospreys
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Benetton
    Zebre
    Dragons

Connacht 6th out of 16, beating Ulster AND Lions in the table, amazing, and still not making it in "no more European competition"

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    But you are saying those other teams are easier and thus its not fair?
    So you would prefer for Connacht to play those teams just as much (aka weaker opposition) and get more wins that way rather then just improve and beat the teams put before them.

And lets be honest like, Connacht are more able to take on Leinster, Munster & Ulster as is, I don't exactly think its accurate to refer to them in such a low regard, they were second in their conference this season for gods sake.

That's the worst comment I've ever seen about unfairness

Just like saying yeah good life is tougher for black people and it'll make them stronger, let's enjoy discrimination

same "argument"

Look how awful it is

Say the final table was
    Leinster
    Bulls
    Stormers
    Sharks
    Munster
    Connacht
    Ulster
    Lions
    Cardiff
    Scarlets
    Ospreys
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Benetton
    Zebre
    Dragons

Connacht 6th out of 16, beating Ulster AND Lions in the table, amazing, and still not making it in "no more European competition"

Woah Woah Woah hold up.

I thought we were saying Connacht arnt good enough to have to play the other provinces regular in the 3 extra games while Welsh Scots and Italians get to play each other. Its not fair.

Now we are saying Connacht are one of the top Teams in the league and cant get into Champions Cup. Its not fair.

Just like saying yeah good life is tougher for black people and it'll make them stronger, let's enjoy discrimination

same "argument"

Ah man get a grip will yeah. That's completely and utterly not a like for like comparison.

The extra interpros are a purely commercial decision that the provinces actually want.
    Without which Connacht would have less income.
    You know this. Put your Toys back in the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,693 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

same "argument"

I'll be honest Connachta, I usually have a laugh at your wild ramblings and the cries of the oppression of Connacht Rugby, but this is an absolutely insane take.

Woah Woah Woah hold up.

I thought we were saying Connacht arnt good enough to have to play the other provinces regular in the 3 extra games while Welsh Scots and Italians get to play each other. Its not fair.

Now we are saying Connacht are one of the top Teams in the league and cant get into Champions Cup. Its not fair.

Double unfairness yeah.

Worst than ever.

Harder schedule, unfairer rule.

Better and better

Clano sum it up. Will some survive without HCUP?
    If not, it's all the irony yes, back to fairness, pro12, but because of disbanded clubs

Ah man get a grip will yeah. That's completely and utterly not a like for like comparison.

The extra interpros are a purely commercial decision that the provinces actually want.
    Without which Connacht would have less income.
    You know this. Put your Toys back in the pram.

Connacht doesn't have any meaningful influence, it's commercial as you said, so it's IRFU who gets some benefit.

money gained for Connacht will be immediatly lost by less sponsorship because of no more European TV exposition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Double unfairness yeah.

Worst than ever.

Harder schedule, unfairer rule.

Better and better

Clano sum it up. Will some survive without HCUP?
    If not, it's all the irony yes, back to fairness, pro12, but because of disbanded clubs

the-big-fiddle-18-m-high-stylised-violin-in-the-harbour-area-of-sydney-in-canada-MJCPN8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Out of the 16 teams we are probably most in favour of keeping all of our home derbies. I also hate how people say "make europe" as if we don't consider the Challenge Cup worthy despite never making a final

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Apart from the paranoia, it's very defeatist.

Connacht beat all three of the other provinces this season. At a minimum, they should be targeting two wins from six interpros every year.

The idea that they'll be the ones to suffer every year is a bit odd really.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Apart from the paranoia, it's very defeatist.

Connacht beat all three of the other provinces this season. At a minimum, they should be targeting two wins from six interpros every year.

The idea that they'll be the ones to suffer every year is a bit odd really.

Everything in European rugby is set up to oppress Connacht and Connacht alone. It all revolves around Connacht. Connacht, Connacht, Connacht.

It wouldn't surprise me if the G7 is an anti-Connacht conspiracy.

Look how awful it is

Say the final table was
    Leinster
    Bulls
    Stormers
    Sharks
    Munster
    Connacht
    Ulster
    Lions
    Cardiff
    Scarlets
    Ospreys
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Benetton
    Zebre
    Dragons

ermm

Connacht WOULD actually qualify in that case

leinster 1st in irish pool and Bulls 1st in SA pool are removed, next 4 qualify.

which would be "stormers, sharks, munster and connacht"

if youre gonna throw a tantrum, at least get your facts right first

ermm

Connacht WOULD actually qualify in that case

leinster 1st in irish pool and Bulls 1st in SA pool are removed, next 4 qualify.

which would be "stormers, sharks, munster and connacht"

if youre gonna throw a tantrum, at least get your facts right first

What about the Welsh and ScoItalian 1st of their pools going through?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yes along with six he mentioned

Ah here....

Ah here....

So, you were wrong in your scornful comment?
    Tastier, if the situation wasn't so sour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

So, you were wrong in your scornful comment?
    Tastier, if the situation wasn't so sour

He / she is right. You're wrong. Please stop.

Advertisement