Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,635 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

connachta wrote: »
    So, you were wrong in your scornful comment?
    Tastier, if the situation wasn't so sour

Theres only one party to this sh!tshow that's wrong... And you continue to embarrass yourself.

Before you do anymore crybabying, go and actually find out how this new league is going to work, and try to understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

So, you were wrong in your scornful comment?
    Tastier, if the situation wasn't so sour

He wasn’t wrong at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

salmocab wrote: »
    He wasn’t wrong at all

What is the rule about 1st of each pool?

What is the rule about 1st of each pool?

They qualify

Evil_g wrote: »
    He / she is right. You're wrong. Please stop.

there is a ?

And his comment was scornful whatever right or wrong.

but doesn't matter after all. Bad day for Connacht

• Advertisement

there is a ?

Is this an admission you were wrong?

Is this an admission you were wrong?

I don't know, I think (and read) there's a way Connacht can finish 6th out of 16 and be eliminated which was my point. Just have to pick teams in the right order.
    Maybe it can't happen

there is a ?

Scornful??

Your constant whinging in this thread deserves all the scorn it gets.

You won't even admit that you didn't understand the point you were whinging about, even when you were wrong.

If connacht want to dine at the top table of European rugby, they will have to qualify for it like everyone else.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Scornful??

Your constant whinging in this thread deserves all the scorn it gets.

You won't even admit that you didn't understand the point you were whinging about, even when you were wrong.

If connacht want to dine at the top table of European rugby, they will have to qualify for it like everyone else.

Not like everyone else. There you're absolutely wrong. No doubt about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

I don't know, I think (and read) there's a way Connacht can finish 6th out of 16 and be eliminated which was my point. Just have to pick teams in the right order.
    Maybe it can't happen

The only way only way that I can think of that this could happen is if the winners of 3 of the 4 conferences finish 7th, 8th and 9th and if you think that is likely to happen then I'd suggest finding your nearest bookies and putting a large wager on it because the odds you would get would make it a lot easier to stomach.

Yes the way the conferences are setup makes it harder for the Irish teams, all of them there's a realistic chance that 2 out of the 4 teams may only qualify for CC rugby, but at the end of the day it will nearly always be the top 8 or 9 teams that qualify and if we can't make it in the the top 9 then we probably have no business being in the CC

• Advertisement

Maybe it can't happen

I don’t see any way the team in 6th don’t qualify for Europe, top 5 has to at least have 2 group winners so down to 6 have to qualify followed by the other 2 group winners.

100% like everyone else.

You want to qualify from they Irish pool, win it.

You want to qualify from the league, get one of the 4 wildcard a spots, like everyone else.

What special treatment do you think connacht deserve when it comes to Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Overall have to say I like the league. Fixes a lot of issues structurally and the reduction in game numbers is overall a positive.

I think we saw from the quasi snake draw system used the last 3/4 years you can get very imbalanced groups even if they went two pools of two nd given interpros are such a good money earned I think it's a fair compromise. Realistically we have to start beating out the provinces more regularly than we have been at any rate in order to take that next step. Very key we sign Cronin or a equivalent player asap

Does anyone know or want to hazard a guess what the story reffing wise will be for away games. I assume it will be sa refs reffing matches in SA only given the journey but getting some of the pro14 refs out there would be a great way to develop what is still a key weakness of the league imo

b.gud wrote: »
    The only way only way that I can think of that this could happen is if the winners of 3 of the 4 conferences finish 7th, 8th and 9th and if you think that is likely to happen then I'd suggest finding your nearest bookies and putting a large wager on it because the odds you would get would make it a lot easier to stomach.

Yes the way the conferences are setup makes it harder for the Irish teams, all of them there's a realistic chance that 2 out of the 4 teams may only qualify for CC rugby, but at the end of the day it will nearly always be the top 8 or 9 teams that qualify and if we can't make it in the the top 9 then we probably have no business being in the CC

Don’t think there is any way that pool winners would be 7,8&9 there has to be two in the top 5

sydthebeat wrote: »
    100% like everyone else.

You want to qualify from they Irish pool, win it.

You want to qualify from the league, get one of the 4 wildcard a spots, like everyone else.

What special treatment do you think connacht deserve when it comes to Europe?

Utterly stupid there. As much scorn as you deserve too.

I stop there

Utterly stupid there. As much scorn as you deserve too.

I stop there

You should have stopped hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Yes like everyone else. Win enough games and you qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

freyners wrote: »
    Overall have to say I like the league. Fixes a lot of issues structurally and the reduction in game numbers is overall a positive.

I think we saw from the quasi snake draw system used the last 3/4 years you can get very imbalanced groups even if they went two pools of two nd given interpros are such a good money earned I think it's a fair compromise. Realistically we have to start beating out the provinces more regularly than we have been at any rate in order to take that next step. Very key we sign Cronin or a equivalent player asap

Does anyone know or want to hazard a guess what the story reffing wise will be for away games. I assume it will be sa refs reffing matches in SA only given the journey but getting some of the pro14 refs out there would be a great way to develop what is still a key weakness of the league imo

Most likely SA refs for games in SA with some games getting northern hemisphere refs down there who might AR a game or two down there as well.

Hope so
    Thank you for the hypothesis too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

There’s really no need for a pile on when Connachta makes the occasional extreme statement. He’s french if I recall correctly, dramatic by nature :)

I see plenty of extreme comments in other provincial threads, by and large the supporters of that province address them as multiple Connacht supporters had done in response to Connachta.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    There’s really no need for a pile on when Connachta makes the occasional extreme statement. He’s french if I recall correctly, dramatic by nature :)

I see plenty of extreme comments in other provincial threads, by and large the supporters of that province address them as multiple Connacht supporters had done in response to Connachta.

To be fair he made an incorrect assertion couldn’t back it up and lashed out at posters that pointed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

To be fair he made an incorrect assertion couldn’t back it up and lashed out at posters that pointed it out.

Yeah fair enough on that point and the comment about it being similar to discrimination making people tougher or whatever that analogy was deserved calling out too but even before that there were other posters steaming in, just not necessary imo especially when Connacht posters were already countering.

It would be like six of seven non Leinster posters steaming in on Richie Rich who that occasional extreme opinion also or whoever on Leinster thread, just not my preference. But it’s an open forum I know etc.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough on that point and the comment about it being similar to discrimination making people tougher or whatever that analogy was deserved calling out too but even before that there were other posters steaming in, just not necessary imo especially when Connacht posters were already countering.

It would be like six of seven non Leinster posters steaming in on Richie Rich or whoever on Leinster thread, just not necessary imo. But it’s an open forum I know etc.

I doubt any Leinster fans would be bothered if someone steamed in tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

Don’t think there is any way that pool winners would be 7,8&9 there has to be two in the top 5

Yep good point, that's was the only way I could think of that Connacht could finish 6 and not qualify didn't think through the full set of permutations. Thinking about it now the lowest possible conference winner positions that I can think of would be 1st, 5th, 9th, and 13th. So finishing in the top 6 guarantees you CC rugby 7th and 8th are the places that could miss out though I think it's pretty unlikely that the conference toppers will be outside the top 8

Yep good point, that's was the only way I could think of that Connacht could finish 6 and not qualify didn't think through the full set of permutations. Thinking about it now the lowest possible conference winner positions that I can think of would be 1st, 5th, 9th, and 13th. So finishing in the top 6 guarantees you CC rugby 7th and 8th are the places that could miss out though I think it's pretty unlikely that the conference toppers will be outside the top 8

I could see there being an occasional pool winner being outside the top 8, probably from the Scottish Italian group even with the bonus of slightly easier return games.

YES!

that was my point

I mixed it up but my idea was

- Not only one but two teams can eliminate us when behind us in the table (that's why I said 6/8 but it's 7h and 8th)

AND

- It's a total scandal Glasgow play Zebre and us Leinster. You can turn this as you want but facing different opposition with a huge level-gap and the same table in the end shouldn't exist in sport, except (and still, it's contestable..) based on past season merit (seeding). Not the case here, I keep my opinion, it shouldn't even be legal

Saying it this way, I think many reasonable guys would agree and certainly not an extreme point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well it seems the IRFU voted against the new format and wanted full meritocracy. See the United Rugby Championship thread for details.
    It is vastly unfair that the 4 top teams are in one pool IMHO. You can understand why the other nations teams were delighted with that aspect.

OldRio wrote: »
    Well it seems the IRFU voted against the new format and wanted full meritocracy. See the United Rugby Championship thread for details.
    It is vastly unfair that the 4 top teams are in one pool IMHO. You can understand why the other nations teams were delighted with that aspect.

Wow.

I was wrong on this point then. Thank you IRFU, that's unexpected

I keep, though harsh, my point and analogy, in the pure logical point of view, about dismissing the weak stance "what is unfair makes you stronger"

But IRFU fronted up for Connacht (and Ulster/Munster TBF), that's good

Simple as this yeah :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Nobody should be surprised by that. It is absolutely not in the IRFU's self-interest that three provinces will be effectively competing for 4 spots in Europe.

And so ends another Connacht Conspiracy. Till next year.

Advertisement