Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Was actually half expecting to see him named in the ireland squad with how he has played this season.

That's in contradiction with your "thank you" when we talk about him signed. If he's Connacht, he won't be capped:pac:

Kidding, though I did not agree with Farrell not picking Connacht lads for 6 nations.
    Looks better now but they are quite meaningless games.

It's Blade who'll be the indicator, Heff, Bealham and so on I can get why they're not in the 2 first pick in their positions, I can't about Coalin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Heard a rumour that London Irish were interested in Cronin but deal fell through for some reason. Connacht seemed to be in pole position then. Then the Munster back in stories appeared which guess might have been agent trying to drum up few offers.

Hopefully he comes west, would be great and much needed boost.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that London Irish were interested in Cronin but deal fell through for some reason. Connacht seemed to be in pole position then. Then the Munster back in stories appeared which guess might have been agent trying to drum up few offers.

Hopefully he comes west, would be great and much needed boost.

With "only" a dozen of games before Buckley coming back (new light schedule), I think we could have him starting 90% of the time, if he doesn't play added games with Ireland.
    Duggan is able to start 2 or 3 and bench every other.
    Then the scrum would be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Cronin will probably leave Ireland and go for the money. At this stage in his career, the salary would most likely be the driving factor. Unless, there's no offers from abroad. I think he's a very good player and would be a great addition for Connacht. I'm surprised he didn't get called up to the international squad.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Cronin will probably leave Ireland and go for the money. At this stage in his career, the salary would most likely be the driving factor. Unless, there's no offers from abroad. I think he's a very good player and would be a great addition for Connacht. I'm surprised he didn't get called up to the international squad.

As said above, not until next summer please, we need him to start again and again, so short until March ...
    But as you said, not done yet...

• Advertisement

If Duggan gets a run, who knows... he may be up to it. Cronin would be great for Connacht. He's still got a few years left and is very good. I'd have him at Leinster in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

With the Champions Cup seedlings confirmed today, and Connacht fourth from the Pro12, it means Connacht will play Northampton/Leicester and Stade Francais/Clermont in the pool stage next year

This is on the assumption that the format for the draw and tournament doesn’t change, but the dates announced today for the fixtures correspond to last season, as it was initially planned

fatgav wrote: »
    With the Champions Cup seedlings confirmed today, and Connacht fourth from the Pro12, it means Connacht will play Northampton/Leicester and Stade Francais/Clermont in the pool stage next year

This is on the assumption that the format for the draw and tournament doesn’t change, but the dates announced today for the fixtures correspond to last season, as it was initially planned

Wow 1st time ever I have this draw as playable for QF qualification!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah Jackman had the scoop on it a while back. Decent cover, and definitely needed.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Yeah Jackman had the scoop on it a while back. Decent cover, and definitely needed.

He's signed to cover himself both Kenny and McAlister
    A final one, and a starting player, has to come for Buckley, for 6 months as medical joker at least, October to March
    Could save 50K euros when Buckley comes back for the final 3 months, if we're very short for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Hadn't been on a few days and saw all the posts! Was positive Cronin had signed. Good to see us get a prop in, though we badly need another

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

macslash wrote: »
    Hadn't been on a few days and saw all the posts! Was positive Cronin had signed. Good to see us get a prop in, though we badly need another

I think (and hope) that we'll get another prop in. The McGrath signing seems more like a squad/utility signing rather than someone you'd expect to start games most weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think (and hope) that we'll get another prop in. The McGrath signing seems more like a squad/utility signing rather than someone you'd expect to start games most weeks.

McGrath is definitely tighthead/emergency loosehead cover. We only had 3 tightheads and I don't think there are any in the academy. Bealham is also in or around the national squad.

I'm fairly certain we're still chasing Cronin or if he's not coming alternative options at loosehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »
    McGrath is definitely tighthead/emergency loosehead cover. We only had 3 tightheads and I don't think there are any in the academy. Bealham is also in or around the national squad.

I'm fairly certain we're still chasing Cronin or if he's not coming alternative options at loosehead.

+1

+2

If not Cronin, I'd be ok with Dylan Smith from Lions/Stade Français. He knows how to handle South Africans scrummaging/refereeing

McCormack starting for Ireland u20
    Very good as we're short for pure high-level n°7
    Could start a few next year along Butler and Oliver

100% Connacht centre pairing too
    Robb has to have a big big season to stay...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

connachta wrote: »
    McCormack starting for Ireland u20
    Very good as we're short for pure high-level n°7
    Could start a few next year along Butler and Oliver

100% Connacht centre pairing too
    Robb has to have a big big season to stay...

Makes you wonder why Bolton was signed with Jennings having obviouse potential at 13 but Forde seems to be picked regularly at 12 now instead of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Makes you wonder why Bolton was signed with Jennings having obviouse potential at 13 but Forde seems to be picked regularly at 12 now instead of 10

I could see Jennings breaking through on the wing initially, much like Garry Ringrose. He's incredibly talented with ball in hand but had work to do on his passing and defence when I last saw him play. Very excited to see what he can do at this level.

Forde has a lovely passing game, would be nice to have the option of a playmaking 12, not something we've had since Ronaldson really.

Wegians89 wrote: »

Bolton/Jennings/Forde, all are just 20 and could all be kept with much gametime as soon as 2023, as Bundee may be off after RWC, and Farrell/Robb are injury prone/close to their 30's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Good to to have three starters, might well be four but Darragh Murray is obviously injured unfortunately as not in 26.

Expect De Buitléar will see some game time and hopefully Byrne gets a chance too.

So we have

- a hooker after J.Murphy
    - a n°8 after Papali'i
    - a n°7 after Butler
    - a n°4 (not listed because of injury) after Fifita
    - 2 centres after Bundee and Robb

We're still very very short at 10 and TH IMO, future NIQ should be signed there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

connachta wrote: »
    So we have

- a hooker after J.Murphy
    - a n°8 after Papali'i
    - a n°7 after Butler
    - a n°4 (not listed because of injury) after Fifita
    - 2 centres after Bundee and Robb

We're still very very short at 10 and TH IMO, future NIQ should be signed there

In theory yes but not every player who plays under 20's goes on to play for their province

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Good to to have three starters, might well be four but Darragh Murray is obviously injured unfortunately as not in 26.

Expect De Buitléar will see some game time and hopefully Byrne gets a chance too.

De buitlear not up to the level unfortunately, effectively 4th choice hooker with Barron & Stewart injured

KBurke85 wrote: »
    In theory yes but not every player who plays under 20's goes on to play for their province

Most important IMO is how Byrne is developping
    Will be so useful to have a 1st choice n°8 leapfrogging Papali'i and Masterson and allowing Boyle to play 6

Loosehead

Denis Buckley (31) - Signed contract in 2021
    Matthew Burke (24) - Signed contract in 2021
    Jordan Duggan (23) - Signed contract in 2021

Charlie Ward (21) - Academy year 1

Tighthead

Jack Aungier (22) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Finlay Bealham (30) - Signed contract in 2021
    Greg McGrath (24) - Signed contract in 2021
    Dominic Robertson-McCoy (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Hooker

Shane Delahunt (27) - Signed contract in 2021
    Dave Heffernan (30) - Signed contract in 2021
    Jonny Murphy (29) - Signed contract in 2021
    Dylan Tierney-Martin (22) - Signed contract in 2021

Declan Adamson (22) - Academy year 2
    Eoin De Buitléar (19) - Academy year 1

Lock

Ultan Dillane (27) - Signed contract in 2021
    Oisin Dowling (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Leva Fifita (32) - Signed contract in 2021
    Niall Murray (21) - Signed contract in 2021
    Gavin Thornbury (27) - Signed contract in 2021

Darragh Murray (20) - Academy year 1

Back row

Paul Boyle (24) - Signed contract in 2021
    Jarrad Butler (30) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Eoghan Masterson (28) - Signed contract in 2021
    Sean Masterson (23) - Signed contract in 2021
    Sean O'Brien (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Conor Oliver (25) - Signed contract in 2021
    Abraham Papali’i (28) - Signed contract in 2021
    Cian Prendergast (21) - Signed contract in 2021

Ciaran Booth (21) - Academy year 1
    Donnacha Byrne (20) - Academy year 1
    Hubert Costello (u21) - Academy year 1
    Joshua Dunne (21) - Academy year 3
    Oisin McCormack (20) - Academy year 2

Scrumhalf

Caolin Blade (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Kieran Marmion (29) - Signed 3 year contract in 2020
    Colm Reilly (22) - Signed contract in 2021

Outhalf

Jack Carty (29) - Signed contract in 2021
    Conor Fitzgerald (23) - Signed contract in 2021

Cathal Forde (19) - Academy year 1

Centre

Bundee Aki (31) - Signed 3 year central contract in 2020
    Sammy Arnold (25) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Shayne Bolton (21) - Signed contract in 2021
    Tom Daly (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Tom Farrell (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Peter Robb (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Shane Jennings (20) - Academy year 2

Back 3

Mack Hansen (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2021
    Matt Healy (32) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Oran McNulty (21) - Signed contract in 2021
    Ben O'Donnell (26) - Signed contract in 2020
    Tiernan O'Halloran (30) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    John Porch (27) - Signed contract in 2021
    Peter Sullivan (23) - Signed contract in 2021
    Alex Wootton (27) - Signed contract in 2021

Diarmuid Kilgallen (21) - Academy year 1

IN: Greg McGrath (Tighthead, Leinster), Leva Fifita (Lock, Grenoble), Shayne Bolton (Centre, Cheetahs), Mack Hansen (Back 3, Brumbies)
    OUT: Paddy McAllister (Loosehead, retiring), Conor Kenny (Tighthead, Newcastle), Cillian Gallagher (Lock, retiring), Quinn Roux (Lock, Toulon), Stephen Kerins (Scrumhalf, TBC), Conor Dean (Outhalf, TBC), Sean O'Brien** (Centre, Exeter), Colm de Buitléar** (back 3, TBC), Stephen Fitzgerald (Back 3, retiring)

*ages as at 01/09/2021
    **academy player

Very disappointing for Gallagher. He and Claffey were both fine prospects and injury ruined any possible career.
    I think McNulty will push for a place next season. He looks a tidy player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

[Stephen Kerins (Scrumhalf, TBC)

Kerins has signed for Ealing, they announced it last week

b.gud wrote: »
    Kerins has signed for Ealing, they announced it last week

Thank you, had heard the rumours but missed the announcement. Hope he can get some decent gametime under his belt.

• Advertisement

McCormick looks like a very good prospect! A natural openside too!

Advertisement