Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

Connacht have several highy rated backrows in their academy.. use them

You're burying your head in the sand if you don't see one or two of the Leinster backrows moving over the next few seasons.

Only injuries have reduced the logjam so far, which will hopefully clear up.

If the new league actually does involve no international clashes then this will really exacerbate the problem also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Deegan and Leavy see coming back from injury. So, they may take some time to get up to speed. Maybe one of them would go for a 3 month loan? I don't see any other back row leaving for Connacht. There's always one or two injured and the minutes will be there for the other lads. Connacht let McKeon go last year! That was a mistake imo. Depending on Leinster to loan out players is not viable. Maybe O'Sullivan at Munster is worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Strong at hooker, tighthead, scrumhalf, centre, and back 3.
    A bit light in the second and back rows.
    Stretched very thin at loosehead and 10.

Greg McGrath props both sides, so he may be covering loosehead, as DRMC, Bealham, and Aungier have tighthead covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Greg McGrath props both sides, so he may be covering loosehead, as DRMC, Bealham, and Aungier have tighthead covered.

He may. In that case we have lost our two most experienced looseheads and replaced them with an ambiprop with <5 senior caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

https://www.the42.ie/james-cronin-biarritz-5478337-Jun2021/

Copied from the Munster thread. Looks like we didn't have the finances to offer Cronin enough to stay.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    https://www.the42.ie/james-cronin-biarritz-5478337-Jun2021/

Copied from the Munster thread. Looks like we didn't have the finances to offer Cronin enough to stay.

Guess all the chat was down to his agent trying to get Biarritz to **** or get off the pot. Hope we have someone else lined up.

Thought it was another good showing from our lads for the 20s last night, with Cathal Forde the pick of the bunch for me. I knew coming into the tournament that he had serious playmaking abilities, but did not expect his carrying game to be so strong. Apparently he has made 272 metres across the first two games, that's incredible stuff. He's a solid and intelligent defender to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Guess all the chat was down to his agent trying to get Biarritz to **** or get off the pot. Hope we have someone else lined up.

Dylan Smyth was mentioned too when Cronin was being talked about. I think we could be in real trouble if there isn't a LH signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Cronin imo did not have a choice. He is going to chase a paycheck. Fair play to him. I think he should have been in the national squad this summer. In today's market, the money will be king. Cronin is 30 yes old or so, so he's only got a few seasons left!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

If we couldn't even match Cronins previous contract at Munster I don't think we ever had a realistic shot. Disappointing but hardly surprising.
    Would agree though we are up against it now at LH and really need to find a signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I'm not worried, I checked about 7 props listed as "released" (unsigned) in Premiership only

One of them will grab the opportunity, if it's not someone elswhere.

BTW Conor Carey in the mix. Mainly a TH I know, but can play both, and we could convert McCoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

connachta wrote: »
    I'm not worried, I checked about 7 props listed as "released" (unsigned) in Premiership only

One of them will grab the opportunity, if it's not someone elswhere.

BTW Conor Carey in the mix. Mainly a TH I know, but can play both, and we could convert McCoy...

I see Dylan Smith has signed for Ealing
    http://ealingtrailfinders.com/news/dylan-smith-joins-ealing-trailfinders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

If Dylan Smith was one of the leading alternatives and signed for Ealing, it suggests Connacht are in a fair bit of trouble. I know Ealing are a wealthy enough club but still one of the leading alternatives moving to the championship suggests we won’t come close to anyone of the calibre of Buckley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

ClanofLams wrote: »
    If Dylan Smith was one of the leading alternatives and signed for Ealing, it suggests Connacht are in a fair bit of trouble. I know Ealing are a wealthy enough club but still one of the leading alternatives moving to the championship suggests we won’t come close to anyone of the calibre of Buckley.

Looks worrying tbh.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Looks worrying tbh.

Yeah I mean anyone that isn’t signed up for next season at this stage probably isn’t of the standard needed. Probably be better off trying to get a loan at this stage. I don’t know how realistic that is either.

Gone from two good loose heads and some young prospects/depth to just young prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Yeah I mean anyone that isn’t signed up for next season at this stage probably isn’t of the standard needed. Probably be better off trying to get a loan at this stage. I don’t know how realistic that is either.

Gone from two good loose heads and some young prospects/depth to just young prospects.

Well the good news for Jordan Duggan is that he is going to be playing a lot of rugby next season. Matthew Burke, I don't recall seeing much of. Any assessments of Charlie Ward? He's going to be earning his Academy salary.

After that the pot is empty, right? I guess they can try switching Dom R.McC and Greg McGrath can play there too. Not a good situation, but maybe soem of them will step up.

Have to say that I didn't think Denis had a great season and was hoping there would be recruitment at loosehead even before his injury. But then it was with the hope of improvement, now it's going to be about survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Luke Carty starting at 10 for USA v England in twickenhan on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Zeugnis wrote: »
    Well the good news for Jordan Duggan is that he is going to be playing a lot of rugby next season. Matthew Burke, I don't recall seeing much of. Any assessments of Charlie Ward? He's going to be earning his Academy salary.

After that the pot is empty, right? I guess they can try switching Dom R.McC and Greg McGrath can play there too. Not a good situation, but maybe soem of them will step up.

Have to say that I didn't think Denis had a great season and was hoping there would be recruitment at loosehead even before his injury. But then it was with the hope of improvement, now it's going to be about survival.

should see if Marcus Hanan is interested in leaving Leinster.

should see if Marcus Hanan is interested in leaving Leinster.

Maybe he would be a good prospect to pick up but it's someone with 100+ pro games Connacht need.

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Luke Carty starting at 10 for USA v England in twickenhan on Sunday

On c4 free to air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

On c4 free to air

Did well some great kicks off the tee

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Did well some great kicks off the tee

Better than carbury yesterday

• Better than carbury yesterday

Eh am I missing something here?

Carty had 5 kicks, landed 4 and missed 1, Carbery had 7 kicks, landed 6 and missed 1.

Why even compare him to Carbery? :confused:

Because everyone and all want a chance to compare J.Carty with Carberry and know they won't have under Farrell
    So they find consolation with Luke during international window

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Luke Carty looks very like his brother Jack and his style of play is similar too. Interesting that both USA and Canada
    (Peter Nelson) have Irish born Out Halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Luke Carty looks very like his brother Jack and his style of play is similar too. Interesting that both USA and Canada
    (Peter Nelson) have Irish born Out Halves.

USA have Aj Mcginty as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Wegians89 wrote: »
    USA have Aj Mcginty as well

Canada have Shane O'Leary too.

Canada have Shane O'Leary too.

3 Connacht ex fly-halfs..

Is C.Fitz/Hansen really better? I don't know, maybe...

But we can understand, for them, it wasn't good to be 2nd choice, even more now Carty isn't on Farrell map, so 90% of the time available for Connacht

Guys are we seriously starting the season with 2 unproven LH only (yes Duggan and Burke are), and hide the crisis behind "McCoy/McGrath can cover"?
    That would be insane.
    We need a loan till March..

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    3 Connacht ex fly-halfs..

Is C.Fitz/Hansen really better? I don't know, maybe...

But we can understand, for them, it wasn't good to be 2nd choice, even more now Carty isn't on Farrell map, so 90% of the time available for Connacht

Conor Fitzgerald is streets ahead of Carty and O'Leary.

Advertisement