Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Another one. Fitz gets robbed.

And Connacht will get one more chance. And lose it again. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Papa has been a disaster signing

Had loads of chances here in the end but couldn’t hold onto the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

I’m impressed at how good Connacht have been at consistently ****ing up a good chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭testtech05

Don't think he even lost it nearly handed to him in the end.

Not sure why we tapped and went there. Our decision making in tight games is really awful the last while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Friend has done a decent job and recruited well in particular but the persistent inconsistency in performance is a real issue and the same areas repeatedly being weaknesses doesn’t reflect well either. Team doesn’t seem to learn from errors either.

Maybe just frustration after that and the players have to take their share of responsibility but from my perspective a change wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

That was absolute ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Connacht are so frustrating, they can beat Leinster and lose to ospreys, crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Frustrating beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Friend has done a decent job and recruited well in particular but the persistent inconsistency in performance is a real issue and the same areas repeatedly being weaknesses doesn’t reflect well either. Team doesn’t seem to learn from errors either.

Maybe just frustration after that and the players have to take their share of responsibility but from my perspective a change wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

Definitely agree that change is needed, whether that should be head coach or assistants I'm not sure. Were not very good and as you say there have been persistent issues throughout Friend's reign but we are definitely better than when he took over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

We're so poor with our forwards.

LBP is a gift from Ospreys in the end, not kicking the penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Fitz had some good games in his first season but he has a long way to go and needs to improve a lot if he wants to play regularly at this level.
    Throwing away a 12 point lead in 5 mins and with them having 14 at the start of the half is unforgivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

its_phil wrote: »
    Papa has been a disaster signing

He's just a one year contract, right? Right???

VANG1 wrote: »

Ospreys are improving in fairness. Probably the best Welsh side this season.

Defence coach and forward coach rather than head coach IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

They can beat Leinster thirds and not ospreys first team to put some context on it also

connachta wrote: »
    We're so poor with our forwards.

LBP is a gift from Ospreys in the end, not kicking the penalty

Good point, guess that's one of the issues with the conference system.

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Fitz had some good games in his first season but he has a long way to go and needs to improve a lot if he wants to play regularly at this level.
    Throwing away a 12 point lead in 5 mins and with them having 14 at the start of the half is unforgivable.

Webb ran over him for his try as well.

They can beat Leinster thirds and not ospreys first team to put some context on it also

In fairness Connacht weren’t at full strength for the Leinster game either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

The last two matches haven't been good enough. We're going backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

If one of the KPIs for the season was a 90% win record at home than losing to Bristol, Scarlets, Ospreys, Ulster and Munster means something has to change.

Bundee on the field for 20 minutes didn’t get served one ball, but we ran three telegraphed loops off 9 from set pieces and got turned over three times. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭testtech05

We need to get a couple of wins from somewhere to make sure of europe for next season.

Today was a great chance being 12 up against the run of play at halftime. Our record when playing against 14 men must make for grim reading can't remember a time when we have really capitalized on it.

Apart from maul defence and breakdown as others have mentioned, 1 constant issue I notice is the amount of times we mess up receiving a kick off. Normally just after we have scored just hand the other team back the momentum then....

Maul defence again was horrendous. Been a lingering major problem all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zzippy wrote: »
    He's just a one year contract, right? Right???

Careful, you'll be hounded upon by the BIG PAPA fanboys. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Careful, you'll be hounded upon by the BIG PAPA fanboys. :D

Depending on how much he's getting paid he could still be worth it. The physicality be brings is something we badly miss(and I notice he had his face about 3 inches off the ground making that tackle where be bounced someone and turned the ball over).

The tap and go was stupid but I mean the performance was littered (read: a landfill) of stupid mistakes.

The problem is that we don't have an experienced backup, unlike all the other provinces. In my mind, the ideal squad breakdown is: first choice (Sexton, Carbery, Burns), solid backup (Byrne, Hanrahan, Madigan), and prospect (Byrne, Healy, Johnston). Issue being that we don't have an experienced hand to turn to if Carty is absent, we have two prospects.

We may finish 4th in a full-season league

our main chance is Europe won't change rule next season, but in 2022 to integrate the S-A

Then we'll have our home play-off facing Glasgow, very poor too, and we could win it.

In May who knows, there might be some crowd in this, let's dream

Also surely no side has worse end of game decision making than Connacht? Some absolutely bonkers decisions made late on in games this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Also surely no side has worse end of game decision making than Connacht? Some absolutely bonkers decisions made late on in games this season.

Looks to me like there is something unsettling the players. The inconsistent performances from game to game are unreal. Maul issue has been going since last season along with ruck defence.
    We signed Pete Wilkins from a poor Edinburgh at the time and I'm not sure his plans translate onto the pitch. Some games we're excellent at shutting teams out then it decends into crap in others.
    As I said something is not right whether its Covid-19 related issues affecting the whole setup or the coaching ticket needs a bit of a shake up to get things fresh again. Something needs to change or we could end up losing a few good players from the team and in the current climate it would be extremely difficult to replace them. We have the best squad of players ever right now and it would be a shame to regress.

• Advertisement

You could argue the Leinster game wasn't that unbelievable.

They lost Sexton after twenty mins and didnt even have close to a competent replacement, it was also a poor Leinster team.

I certainly don't think it reflects "what this team can do on their day", the Munster and Ulster games were the reflection.

Fitzgerald's two mistakes had a big bearing on their first try for me.
    He threw a nothing ball out of play and on his next possession he got blocked and they ran it over a few phases later.
    He missed the tackle for their last try and basically had the ball just pulled off him in our last real attack.

Our back options are really poor, Porch is quality and we've ok in the centre but it's much muchness between the rest.

I'd like to see us get a NIQ winger.

Advertisement