Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

constantly called up to squads without being given any minutes whatsoever, even in dead rubber matches. look if you think thats right grand.

This is just plain bullsh*t. He got lots of chances. He played v France in last years 6N. He played against England, Italy and France in the 2020 6N. Scotland, France and Italy in 2019. He played in tests against Australia, SA and NZ. As well as starts against the likes of Fiji, Italy, Canada and Japan. He wasn't good enough to dislodge those ahead of him. Get over it.

Dillane was a hard hitting athletic second row, that brought diversity and new pastures to Irish rugby. losing him to France shouldnt be a shrug shoulders kind of event.

This must be a joke surely? He brought diversity? This shouldn't even be a thing. How about picking players because of their ability, not their ethnic background. What he was, was the 5th best lock in Ireland. That's all. I'm sorry to see him go, but unless there's an insane injury crisis at lock, he's no loss to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Fully agree with regard to the back three.

As regards lock, Dowling has been good and it's important that he gets these games to develop further. Murray is ahead of him, and I'm a bit surprised he's not on the bench, but I didn't hear he was injured so maybe he's just getting a break. Anyway, I think we'll be ok, and the Thornbird will be back soon which will strengthen the starting team massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Overall our slight "weaknesses" are just about injuries

Having Boyle n°8 Thorn n°5 and Buckley n°1 + Daly as 10/12 back-up, and the team looks unbeatable. Confident for Leicester if so in January

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

If Papaili had signed a year later he probably would of had zero red cards or 1 max. That year was crazy of reds. The guy had never even heard of Leinster so it was a huge move of him. Why do you think he is a fan favourite with so little game time? People would go to game just to see him run over people for fun, he has that x factor. Connachts issue is size and power Deegan wont solve that and neither will he have people traveling just to see him. Connacht need at least 1 monster backrow and 1 monster lock in the squad

• Advertisement

Totally agree but indigenous option that aren't realistic now are, and a guy like Deegan though not monster would bring this physicality with better technique

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Deegan would suit Connachts current game plan far more than papalii. How games has papalii played in this season? He doesn’t fit the system whilst ago being a liability.

Give deegan a run in the back row, get his young player of the year form back and he’d bring the crowd. He has an X factor that suit Connacht better

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

which of Papalli's red cards do you think were not justified?

I don't think he went out to deliberately injure people, but his tackle technique was not legal from all the incidents I can remember.

I did see a lot lot lot of yellows in similar offense for at least 2 of Papa reds.

I think he was unlucky with players falling for exemple, and 'reasonnable suspension lengths" shows it was taken into account

but his tackling issue is real yes

He's the perfect 20. Impact player, carrying, not much time/harm if carded, not tiring if he plays less than 30 minutes

But Connacht can't allow on the long term an option "just" for the bench

When Boyle is out, we'd be better with a guy stepping up for starting opportunities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Is Papali'i a fan favourite? Like, it would have been a lovely story if it had worked out but in reality he's absolutely shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

In between red cards 2 and 3, he played 9 games scored 3 tries, and played some decent rugby which earned him a new contract. During that time it was clear he was working very hard on his tackle technique, which is why it was so disappointing when he was dismissed against Benetton. Since then it's pretty clear that we're done with him and would probably have let him go last summer if that was an option.

I agree that a Max Deegan would be much more suited to the way we're playing, but it was so much fun watching Papali'i run over people. His carrying is absolutely ferocious, even by the high standards of big Polynesian 8s. Not something we've ever had before or will likely have at our disposal again any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I don't think any of Papali'i's reds should have been red.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,318 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You could argue that from the point to view that the rules shouldn't be the way they are. But according to the rules, they were red cards. I remember i watched 2 of those games and was disappointed about them but they were fair and square red cards under the current rules.

I didn't think they were malicious and they were probably grand rugby league tackles.

I agree that he would suit the style but the lack of bulk really is a issue for Connacht. He probably has a similar build to Masterson. Connacht lack of power for ruck defence shows up in most games. I think Leicester scored 4 tries from 4 visits to Connacht 20. This happens a lot against big teams, they dont have the physicality in defence to withstand waves against the line. Iam not saying Deegan isnt good but i think Connacht need at least one monster.

Chris Cloete usually plays well against Connacht surprised he not selected. I heard the friend had 2 players selected for their debuts against ulster i presume one is the 9 selected today? would the other have been Forde at 10? given Cartys injury

Would be pretty happy if Connacht signed deegan and Kleyn in the summer. Would suit the irfu. Deegan would add to and battle with boyle and prendergast for the 6 and 8 jerseys. Kleyn would be a big brute, solid experienced lock who wouldn’t block Murray x2 and dowling breaking through

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Christ, all Connacht since the start and they cough up a try out of nowhere from a hoof downfield and a blocked Mack Hansen clearance kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Munster absolutely no creativity there, bish bash up the middle every time. Then fair play to Connacht for lifting the siege.

• Advertisement

How this game has been so poor?

Munster makes it rotten, just rucks and kicks, and Connacht adds errors all oer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

This looks red surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Lucky to get away with yellow there.

That's a joke for me based on reds we have got.....

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

YEEEAAA

Connacht made the last 20 as ugly as Munster plan and footprint on the game

Tasty but not a classy game

Thought Marmion was excellent tonight amongst a few others.

Munster very 1 dimensional overall

For once completely disagree about Kieran.

He was very slow tonight, and it was not only about smart game management. His passing wasn't accurate.

(our) Farrell brought some sparks, though Arnold wasn't bad either

The MOTM IMO was Bundee, not only try-scorer but game-regulator that gave us a game which would have been lost without him IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bealham was very good I thought. Was everywhere until he was taken off. Did a lot of hard carrying.

Advertisement