Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Will we be without Cian this weekend? Guessing we'll definitely be less Bundee, Jack and Finlay but not sure about Cian. When are the Irish squad off to Portugal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Irish team trained in Dublin today. I

imagine they head to Portugal in the next day or two. I wouldn’t expect Cian to be available

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I read that Bundee and Finlay have minor injuries, sounded like they wouldn't have been available anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Both were tested so they'd make international camp so could play this weekend if the 6 nations hadn't happened

Yes, my mistake, what I read was an update from last weekas to why they weren't playing against Stade. And Bundee was described as unavailable because of illness, not injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Josh Murphy is joining Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Seen that on the Leinster thread. Has to be second row. I can't see Fifita being kept and with Dillane leaving he will get the game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Irish times posted an article about Murphy moving west and have now removed it from their site as far as I can see.

Hopefully they haven’t done that because it’s inaccurate, think he would be a good signing.

He would be a good signing. I was skeptical when this idea was previously mooted. Three games for Leinster this season, including two starts at 5 in Europe. I think he'd be a great addition to Connacht, twenty six and fifty caps for Leinster.

He completed his medical degree last year. I wonder if he might be able to combine his rugby career with work in the hospital in Galway (probably unrealistic, a junior doctor's load is a heavy one).

I think it alsdo tells us something about who Leinster want to hold: Deegan, and probably Penny (in addition, of couse to the established back rowers: Conan, JDF, Doris, and Connors. Hard to project Dan's future).

• Advertisement

He has played 8 for Leinster too. I would imagine he will cover 6/8 mainly

Fifita will probably be around for another year then Quinn Roux could move back to Galway. Connacht need someone bigger then Murphy in second row to solve their issues imo

How long was his contract for ? Only 5 appearances but I know he has picked up a few injuries. I think Murphy could be a great signing if true. Has a bit of niggle and is quite abrasive.

Good stuff. Just republished hour ago so presume it was just pulled due to being up early or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

Murphy's a great signing I think, I imagine he'll mainly be a lock for us but could he even get some gametime at 8? You'd have to assume the URC fixtures no longer clashing with international games is a factor in the move. Leinster's depth may take a bit of a hit if so.

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (199)

14. Alex Wootton (27)

13. Tom Farrell (69)

12. Sammy Arnold (28)

11. Diarmuid Kilgallen (6)

10. Cathal Forde *

9. Kieran Marmion (197)

1. Jordan Duggan (21)

2. Dave Heffernan (155)

3. Greg McGrath (2)

4. Ultan Dillane (124)

5. Leva Fifita (5)

6. Eoghan Masterson (116)

7. Jarrad Butler (85) (C)

8. Paul Boyle (65)

Replacements

16. Shane Delahunt (112)

17. Denis Buckley (200)

18. Tietie Tuimauga (3)

19. Oisín Dowling (16)

20. Seán Masterson (15)

21. Colm Reilly (7)

22. Shayne Bolton (2)

23. Oran McNulty

Cathal Forde makes debut at 10. Diarmuid Kilgallen at 11. Great to see Denis Buckley back. Greg McGrath at tight head with tuimauga on the bench.

Plenty of experience elsewhere in first XV so hopefully be able to get the win, huge game for league standing. Glasgow likely to be missing fair few to Scotland camp too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

I presume Conor Fitz has picked up a knock? Had expected him to get some decent game time with jack away. Big chance for Cathal hopefully he goes well, will likely have to play the 80 if he can looking at the other options.

Would have to think so, unfortunately. A run of games would have been good for him for sure.

Yeah doesn’t appear to be many options other than Forde, he was very impressive for Ireland u20s last summer, this is obviously big step for him but if he can deliver would be brilliant for Connacht. Tom Daly is due back soon I think and can play 10. Mack Hansen can too but obviously not available at the moment.

• Advertisement

Looks a stronger Glasgow side than I expected to be honest, be a real battle to get a win tomorrow.

1. Oli Kebble (67)

2. Fraser Brown (116) (CC)

3. Enrique Pieretto (27)

4. Kiran McDonald (43)

5. Richie Gray (71)

6. Ryan Wilson (201) (CC)

7. Thomas Gordon (42)

8. Jack Dempsey (10)

9. George Horne (75)

10. Duncan Weir (116)

11. Rufus McLean (16)

12. Sione Tuipulotu (12)

13. Kyle Steyn (42)

14. Sebastian Cancelliere (3)

15. Ollie Smith (10)

16. Johnny Matthews (19)

17. Jamie Bhatti (58)

18. Simon Berghan (2)

19. Lewis Bean (14)

20. Ally Miller (3)

21. Jamie Dobie (26)

22. Ross Thompson (26)

23. Stafford McDowall (30)

Excited to see what Forde can do in a senior context, what an amazing opportunity for him! Very sorry for Conor Fitz, hopefully it's nothing serious and he's back for next week's game against Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Best of luck to young Forde. Huge opportunity for him to establish himself.

Delighted to see Forde at 10. Would have liked Bundee to be at 12 to take a bit of pressure off him. Tietie Tuimauga as back up TH is interesting. Would be great if Fifita could get a run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Hope Forde can last the full eight. Don't think any of the replacements are a recognised 10? Unless TOH is seen as the cover?

Huge opportunity for him, looked sensational at u-20 level.

Was there an injury update this week? I assume there are players missing due to Covid/close contact, but have no idea who. It's confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Butler going full Hartley/Haskell there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Thats lucky to not be red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's utterly atrocious defending by Tom Farrell. Drifted and drifted them out in a piss weak tackle which he fell off.

Advertisement