Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

• Subscribers Posts: 41,630 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Connacht were actually favourites going into that game. The players out there were definitely good enough to put in a better performance than they did.

Some of those lads need to look in a mirror after that show..... , and some fans need to realise this as well, before ye go off crying into your "poor me" bibs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He’s never been a good tackler but at least his positioning and kicking were decent but nothing is working well right now. Opposition kicks are constantly finding grass in behind and his kicks are all over the shop. And its cost Connacht a lot of points recently. Much more to it than just him obviously but he’s struggling at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

On the commentary @ElisaAtWar

Honestly I found the criticism a bit refreshing compared to some of the

"Good old Connacht sure done they play a lovely brand and isn't it great they're here all the same" in the media. We were comically bad at times and I'd rather have that be pointed out.

Honestly I found the criticism a bit refreshing compared to some of the

"Good old Connacht sure done they play a lovely brand and isn't it great they're here all the same" in the media. We were comically bad at times and I'd rather have that be pointed out.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Congratulations to TOH 200 caps. Well done to Forde on a decent debut.

Poor from us, TOH seems to chip in a few big errors every game, maybe time to think of retirement. Lafitta hopefully is on a one year.

Fifita has been a bit of a disappointment so far alright. Doesn’t even seem to add a whole pile of physicality. Thought Dillane put in a serious shift but he’s leaving.

Any players on a central contract should be spread out. If the union supports each province equally it makes no sense that the biggest one has almost an international 15.

It's even harder for Connacht to compete in this format, yet we constantly lose our best players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

5 wins 8 losses so far this season I think. Not good enough.

Hopefully Connacht get transfers done right this season. I don’t ever recall a last minute signing working out really and it doesn’t look like Fifita or the Kiwi prop will buck that trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭OldRio

So after giving the Premiership leaders 2 tight games and nearly winning in Paris we see that.

That's on the players. No one and nothing else but the players. The blame is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Connacht lost way fewer players to international camp than Glasgow did Connacht should have won that game

It's your play style, sure it's 'exciting' at times, but you have very poor defensive structures. It's all well and good scoring lots of Tries, but shipping 6 tries at home to a depleted Glasgow shows that something is seriously wrong with the systems you're playing

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Why? Why would they want to move? Ye already have 10 or so Leinster players. Why weaken Leinster? Makes no sense.

Glasgow got four back from camp. It was pretty even Connacht were down six and Glasgow down seven to international squads. Glasgow had 12 internationals which reflects their depth.

Theres certainly players who didn’t deliver. But need to get depth right, whether that’s on Connacht or IRFU backing. Having a good 25 or whatever figure you want to make it isn’t enough to be competitive at top level.

Fifita just shouldn’t be starting, shouldn’t be signing a 32 year from D2 in France, shouldn’t be signing a 28 year old prop from NPC in New Zealand. No disrespect to them but if they were capable of playing at this level, they would be already at their ages.

Greg McGrath is similar, he’s younger in fairness but he’s not up to this level currently, certainly not for starting.

Three backs on the bench have 14 appearances between them before today, they are all promising players and could have big futures but having three 20-21 year olds as your back line options from the bench obviously not ideal.

It was a fairly recognisable Glasgow team to be honest. Stronger than I thought it would be given it’s 6 Nations time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Fair amount of inexperience tonight but overall a gutless performance. Defensively I don't think we've been this bad in a decade.

I can see a few of ye obviously don't go games but a showing like that tonight has me reconsidering a season ticket for the first time in 10 years tbh. I think the media paint Friendy as a huge success but look at the attendance tonight ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

You could see after 10 mins the difference in power. When Connacht are not up for a game the dont have the size or know how to grid out a win like munster. Same as the Dragons game. When Prendergast is not around he Line out always struggle. Heffernan is lucky to be 2nd choice at this stage. Backrow is very weak and would lose most games minus Oliver and Prendergast. TOH should not get a new contract, it amazes me how he can finally put some games together when his contract is running out. If he resigns i would expect him to be injured again until the next contract renewal

Probably the most pissed off I've ever heard Friend after a game.

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-glasgow-2-5668283-Jan2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Connacht have look to themselves, and the players need to step up to their responsibilities, rather than blaming the IRFU and whinging. We are all aware of the resource inequality, but that's no excuse for pathetic performances like this evening. Fortunately, Andy Friend shares that view, as is clear in the article from the the42.ie linked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I thought Cathal Forde looked very tidy for someone making his pro debut at 10.

He looked composed, took the ball flat to the line well, his passing was good, solid in defence and kicked his goals.

His kicking from hand will get better, but he looks like a great prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So weaken the provinces over all and force players to move when they don’t want to? To what end? Make some Connacht fans happy? All things aren’t equal, this isn’t about participation awards. It’s professional sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Ya he looks very promising probably the best of the young 10s in the Country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

If the Union represents the 4 provinces and funds the central contracts the players shouldn't be stock pilled into the biggest province.

So things in that sense should be equal. You want the central contract then you play where you're told. There should be a min numbe per province if the funds comes from the organisation that funds the 4.

But seeing that they tried to disband Connacht 20 years ago it shows it's not very equal. I'm sure over time Munster and Ulster will get bored of it as well as their chances of winning anything now have turned remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They are not stockpiled. They are produced by Leinster. The IRFU don’t move these players to Leinster. Something that seemingly goes over your head.

Leinster produce the most players for the national team. The funding for those contracts comes from that process. Forcing players to move away from their province will ultimately negatively affect this. It could also lead to players deciding to leave the system completely.

As I said what you are looking for is the equivalent of a participation award. We know you’re no good but we’ll give you a medal anyway.

The way things are at the moment works perfectly fine for the IRFU. All 4 provinces including Connacht are producing at U20 level. 3 provinces are competitive in both the league and Europe. Leinster are also capable of winning the HC. Which again is extra revenue for the overall organization.

So what you’re suggesting has no upside for the IRFU. It is pretty much a suggestion for the IRFU to shoot themselves in the foot. Just so one province might and it’s a big might, be more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Seems like the best way to drive your best players abroad tbh

Connacht have a glut of Aussies and Leinster players? It could be that the coaching is shite? If young players want to move, they will. There's several lads that don't make academies that can be grabbed. Tim Corkery is an example.

Blaming the union is understandable. Nucifora brought in Friend. I think they should look for a new coach.

Leinster have 3rd year lads in the academy that could be available. Martin Maloney for one, Liam Turner is another! Connacht could pick up some good players.

Can we stay in the realm of the possible here? IRFU aren’t/can’t move players.

I would agree with earlier point that Andy Friend gets a soft ride from the media who don’t follow Connacht as closely as most on here. Connacht need to finish season hell of a lot better.

Also agree that some senior players didn’t deliver yesterday.

But this league is getting tougher and starting Greg McGrath with Tuimauga coming on to replace him isn’t gonna get it done. Losing Quinn Roux and replacing him with a 32 year D2 player isn’t gonna get it done.

At the moment Connacht have a decent 30 (maybe), unless that number increases significantly Connacht are destined to be towards the bottom of the table.

On the plus side, the only signing we know about for next season, assuming Irish Times are correct, Josh Murphy is a far better signing than any made last summer bar Mack Hansen.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with the Murphy signing. Quality player, although discipline is dodgy. There are players available! Munster have a 3rd year 2nd row who will struggle for match time. Paddy Kelly, why not poach him? I think there's plenty of options for Connacht.

It's a pity James Cronin left last tear. He could have been an asset for Connacht. I agree with the sub par signings like Fifita. Sometimes the answers are in front of you. Dowling is an example.

Advertisement