Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Valedictory try for Masterson. I know it's Zebre, but Connacht are playing some nice rugby. Could have been another if Marmion had passed to DTM a couple of minutes before...

double

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Is there head contact at all?

Angles aren't great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Common sense refereeing there. Penalty at worst for an indirect contact which slips up from chest if you wanted to be picky - but that's a good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

• Advertisement

Yes, and he has played a lot of rugby. To put it in context, Kendellen, the other breakthrough back rower, has played 740 mins. Prendergast was on 1400 coming into today - he could surely do with the summer off! But with youth on his side and fire in his belly, he'd eat that tour up.

My two concerns with Tierney-Martin are his discipline and skill levels. Two penalties already today, plus he constantly tackles with no arms but often gets away with it.

Great to see Illo - late withdrawal for Aungier?

That was pretty dire from about about 25 minutes on. Not sure it all deserves dissection, but Wooton needs to be held account for his defence work, which was abominable. There can be no free rides in defence next year. Leaving aside mistakes/weaknesses by individual players - and there has been plenty of that besides AW - it's actually a scandal that nobody in the coaching staff has been held responsible and this reflects badly on us in terms of culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Not a lot of positives in that game aside from a win, Masterson getting a try in his last game and illo getting some minutes and looking solid.

Biggest plus so far today for connacht is that murphy is absolutely killing lads in the Leinster game. Need more of that in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Connacht should do whatever they can to entice Carolan back. Friend is beyond hope. He couldn't manage Leinster, he'd find a way to **** them up.

Thought Adam Byrne looked very hungry and accurate as well. The arrival of that Leinster quartet is an opportunity to change tone.

It really is! But the problem is Friend, imo. He's as useful as tits on a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

We've had a 50/50 season, 2016 is the only time a connacht team other than one coached by Andy Friend achieved that. Its a first year of a new coaching setup and there have been signs of improvement across the board, with the exception of defense which is a major issue. That said no system in the world can live with some of the missed first up tackles we see weekly.

You hear only good things about Tucker so you'd hope he can get it right next year.

We also need to be realistic: it will always be a struggle for us in the Irish pool, put us in the Welsh or scots/Italian shields and I think we qualify for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Picking order next season IMO

9 Caolin Blade -- Kieran Marmion -- Colm Reilly -- Matt Devine

10 Jack Carty -- David Hawkshaw -- Conor Fitzgerald -- Tom Daly

12 Bundee Aki -- Tom Daly -- Cathal Forde -- Shayne Bolton

13 Tom Farrell -- Shayne Bolton -- Shane Jennings -- Diarmuid Kilgallen/Byron Ralston

11 Mack Hansen -- Alex Wootton -- Byron Ralston -- Josh O'Connor

14 John Porch -- Adam Byrne -- Shane Jennings -- Diarmuid Kilgallen

15 Oran McNulty -- John Porch -- Tiernan O’Halloran -- Alex Wootton

1 Denis Buckley -- Peter Dooley -- Matthew Burke -- Jordan Duggan

2 Shane Delahunt -- Dave Heffernan -- Dylan Tierney-Martin -- Declan Adamson/another Ac

3 Finlay Bealham -- NIQ TH -- Jack Aungier -- Sam Illo

4 Niall Murray -- Oisin Dowling -- Leva Fifita -- Ciaran Booth

5 Gavin Thornbury -- Josh Murphy -- Darragh Murray -- Cian Prendergast

6 Cian Prendergast -- Paul Boyle -- Josh Murphy -- Ciaran Booth

7 Conor Oliver -- Jarrad Butler -- Seán Masterson -- Oisín McCormack

8 Shamus Hurley-Langton -- Paul Boyle -- Jarrad Butler -- Cian Prendergast/Seán Masterson

well thats a rap,

in the 15 16 season, Masterson wa son fire until he picked up that injury, Always gave his all and its a pity he has to move on,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Any whispers on any new signings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

They are actively looking for a tighthead. That looks like being the final signing

Tough to find a th this close to the world cup! It kind of makes the Illo signing look poor. The lad didn't get a sniff!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Adamson released. Would have booth and McCormack ahead of masterson at 7. Booth only 6’2 or so, forget about him playing in the row. Out of the academy lads moving up he’d be on the one that might push on the most in pre season like prendergast this year

• Advertisement

Do not look inspiring! But, they'll be a benifit to Connacht.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JTA would be a class signing for connacht.

I wonder will the coaches be content with de Buitléar as fourth choice. I'd be a bit worried about our hooker depth in that case.

Good mix next season for Back-3

Light-Kolbe-like : Mack Hansen, Byron Ralston, Oran McNulty, John Porch

Heavy-Nadolo-like (not quite but close to 100Kg) : Adam Byrne, Shane Jennings, Diarmuid Kilgallen, Alex Wootton

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Am I right in thinking Porch, Fefita and Hurley-Langton are the only NIQ's in the squad for next season? While I don't love having NIQ's as backup players I think tighthead is certainly a place we could do with it, especially as Finlay will be a way with Ireland quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Yes and Butler will have completed 5 years on his residency so won't be counted from August/September. It has been mentioned that the search for a TH is ongoing but finances will dictate so I doubt we will sign anyone high profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Obviously if we couldn't keep Tietie I can't imagine finances are great. I'd take a prop who can old his own in the scrum and anything he does around the park is a bonus, at times this year our scrum was a liability.

If our defence and scrum is improved we'll be a much more formidable side next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Advertisement