Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

The criteria for inclusion seem very unclear at this point, I'll grant you: ois the Maori squad plus 7? In any case, I think if Thornbury hadn't been injured last season he would have won a place on the plane to NZ. And Murray is thereabouts as well. In second row we're otherwise talking about Treadwell, McCarthy, and Baird. I see GT and NM as operating at a similar level, and if pushed I rate Thornbury higher the others. Just my opinion.

Back row is highly competitive, so tough for Boyle who got his cap against the US. Can Oliver produce a progression like JVDF? He had a great season last year, let's see.

Connacht's scrum halves have been unjustly neglected, both very game, both creative workers, neither would let Ireland down (although Marmion is better classified under 'neglected' than 'emerging'). Anyway, I was listing those I see as contenders.

Agree on Doak.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Back row is highly competitive, so tough for Boyle who got his cap against the US. Can Oliver produce a progression like JVDF? He had a great season last year, let's see.

There won’t be any time to force his way into this. Oliver was consistently good last year but Timoney was on a level above I think.

Id imagine about 25 of the players on this tour will have been in NZ.

That's all fair. There won't have been the game time for anyone to have proved anything, my mind was functioning on another (irrelevant) track ;)

You mentioned Carty above, not sure where he stands in terms of recovery from his wrist operation in the summer, and didn't play in either pre-season game.

Still think Thornbury would be a deserved shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Depends on this tour is made to prepare this RWC, or 2027 as really "emerging"

Thornbury, Prendergast can be in both anyway, should be picked

Blade, Dooley maybe (only for 2023). Hope no Heff (we're out of depth there)

Byrne Wootton Farrell and Daly are too short for 2023 and too late for 2027

Boyle faces too much competition

N.Murray will be brought if 2027 is the perspective, S.Jennings, known by IRFU U20 and 7's, as a surprise call maybe

Ralston, Bolton, Forde, Hawkshaw are for now unproven but may be in the mix for next Emerging/Wolfhound tour

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

That’s if it goes ahead. No club are obligated to release any players for a tour that clashes with URC fixtures. Players (apart from those centrally contracted) are independent assets of the provinces and will be released at their discretion. Can’t see Munster or other provinces releasing any starters I.e Coombes or a James hume. Only way this tour goes ahead on such short notice is if it’s a u23/academy side that’s selected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Connacht actually play 2 games v the Stormers and Bulls in SA at the same time these games will be on. I think it's a great opportunity but totally at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Forgot about Carty’s surgery. That may well factor in on him going.

I think Thornbury deserves a place but I’m just not sure they will take 4 out and out second rows. I also think Blade deserves a spot too but am not sure it will happen.

Anyway better now than later (injuries), except if Heff is picked

Dowling/Murphy + one of Thornbury/Murray, we're ok

Same for Blade and Marmion

And Prendergast (Butler/Murphy/Boyle)

Daly would be an issue, but I was said Bundee will play after missing the 1st game of the season :)

so not that much troubles for now

Recent U20 players mentionned by Murray Kinsella,

yeah I think Jennings has a good chance to be in it, Illo maybe too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This is a naive take. The provinces are all branches of the IRFU. The players are all IRFU employees. They may grumble about it, but they cannot and will not refuse to release players.

• Advertisement

New Away jersey. I'll reserve comment until I see it in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Christ above that is horrific

Just looking at the pricing for Munster's game against SA in PuC:

Adult Jnr

Cat 4 €20.00 €10.00

Cat 3 €30.00 €15.00

Cat 2 €40.00 €20.00

Cat 1 €50.00 €25.00

Family: 2 Adult+2 Jnr Cat C €75.00

Family: 1 Adult +1 Jnr Cat C €40.00

Family: 2 Adult +2 Jnr Terrace €50.00

Family: 1 Adult +1 Jnr Terrace €25.00

Would be good to see some of that. Also liked what Munster did with the subsidised buses for the QF against Toulouse in the Aviva, 10 euro return from Ennis, Tralee, Thurles, Waterford city, Limerick city, and Cork city. Other provinces could take a leaf from their book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Defence not looking too hot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEwHHyOzJzY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Your 23s for the season opener vs Ulster? (Yes I'm procrastinating).

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Jack Aungier
    4. Josh Murphy
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Cian Prendergast
    7. Conor Oliver
    8. Paul Boyle
    9. Caolin Blade
    10. Conor Fitzgerald
    11. Mack Hansen
    12. Bundee Aki
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. Alex Wootton
    15. John Porch
    16. Dylan Tierney-Martin
    17. Denis Buckley
    18. Sam Illo
    19. Oisin Dowling
    20. Jarrad Butler
    21. Kieran Marmion
    22. David Hawkshaw
    23. Byron Ralston

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Not sure will we have the Irish lads. Bundee and Mack anyway

They have been back in training for a while now, but perhaps not.

Surely not

Back for 2nd game.

Maybe Heff though..

Buckley to start IMO

LH is going to be interesting. What can Dooley achieve with consistent game time? Maybe a lot. Buckley is a local hero but was struggling even prior to his injury, IMO, and I felt Burke well exceeded expectations in his absence. Good strength in depth for us there.

If Mack is out, Wooton to 11, Byrne to 14. Maybe Byrne to 14 in any case.

Daly or Forde for Bundee if unavailable, facing McCloskey it might be better to have Daly's physicality than Forde's playmaker brain.

On the bench:

I'd like to see Shamus Hurley Langton in for Jarad.

Murray for Dowling? It's marginal, we have a strong pool of second rows and can rotate based on fitness/opposition.

Haven't seen enough of Ralston to assess at 23, but why not? Byrne, Hawkshaw, Forde, Jennings would be other options. I want to see the latter two getting games, but maybe Ulster isn't the place to start them.

PS We had big problems defensively at midfield and out wide last year and everyone from 11-15 was implicated. Some of the solution will be based on alterations to the system more broadly, but my selection preferences are based on the hope that the players who occupied those positions last season adapt effectively. If we see a continuation of last years' malaise, we need to be quicker to drop people and give others a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Ultan on for la Rochelke, interesting to see how he goes this year. I really hope his form is back to 2016

A number of players who just departed Connacht were in action in the TOP 14 and D2 yesterday. Papa Leahy started for Brive, Eoghan Masterson for Stade Aurillacois, and Ultan Dillane was on the bench for Stade Rochelais. On Murray Kinsella's Twitter you'll also see video of Kyle Godwin getting smashed in Lyon v Brive - Papa not responsible and AFAIK kept his bib clean.

Quinn Roux has moved from Toulon to Bath, we'll see how that goes with JVG. Hope he didn't sell his house in Knocknacarra...

Short interview with Jack Carty on RTE where his discusses his wrist operation, arrivals in the squad from Leinster etc.:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-championship/2022/0907/1321147-carty-touch-and-go-for-connachts-season-opener/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Wonder will the ulster match be called off now with the Queen dying ?

Will be very interesting to see what team is picked. Carty naming Dooley as one of the most impress so far and I cant see it taking long before he’s first choice.

Would go with something like this for ulster, injury permitting:

Dooley

DTM (not sure on international’s availability) Auinger

N Murray

Thornbury

Murphy

Boyle

Oliver

marmion

Hawkshaw

wootton

Daly

Farrell

Byrne

porch

subs:

Heffernan / Stewart

Buckley

Illo

Dowling

SHL

blade

fitz

Ralston

Eagles team for game vs Leinster A:

15. Adam O'Carroll (u20)

14. Josh O'Connor

13. Daniel Hawkshaw

12. Cathal Forde

11. Sean Fox (u19)

10. Harry West (u20)

9. Will Reilly

1. Charlie Ward

2. Eoin de Buitlear (c)

3. Sam Illo

4. John Forde

5. Darragh Murray

6. Ciaran Booth

7. Oisin McCormack

8. Sean Masterson

16. Oisin Dolan (u19)

17. Oisin Michel

18. Fiachna Barrett (u20)

19. Donnacha Byrne

20. Mark Boyle

21. Hubert Gilvarry

22. John Devine (u20)

23. Adam Madden (u20)

24. Hugh Gavin (u19)

Just saw that Greg McGrath was signed during the summer by the Jersey Reds. Hope he does well there.

I read rumours that the Brumbies were interested in Ben O'Donnell, don't know if anything came of it.

Would anyone care to take a punt on the match day 23 ?

I don't know the injury situation but I do believe the internationals will be available.

I'll go with:

1.Dooley 2.Heff 3.Finlay

4.Murphy 5.Thornbury

6.Prendergast 7.Oliver 8.Boyle

9.Marmion 10.Fitzgerald

11.Hansen

12.Bundee 13.Farrell

14.Byrne

15.Porch

16.DTM 17.Buckley 18.DRMc 19.Fifita 20.Butler 21.Blade 22.Hawkshaw 23 Daly.

Barring injuries I reckon it will be very close to that. Don't think Robertson-McCoy will make the squad, and Tom Daly may be redundant in that selection as Hawkshaw covers 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

I’m going to gamble with Hawkshaw at 10 - Fitz is long enough in the squad so the coaches know what he can bring ! Give Hawkshaw his head in a big game …. Go prove yourself!

So Aungier instead of DRM?

Could Ralston be a potential in the 23?

If Byrne starts ahead of Wotton and plays well it should light a fire under Wotton to strive for his standards 2 seasons ago.

I also think Murphy is going to be involved. Maybe for Butler given an option also to cover 2nd row.

• Advertisement

Ulster rugby have just confirmed that the match will go ahead - I was a little concerned about that.

Selection-wise, Aungier for DRMC, Ralston for Daly, Murray for Fifita, Hurley-Langton for Butler. I could also be tempted to start Hawkshaw and put Fitgerald on the bench.

Advertisement